ADMIN NOTE: New Ebola thread reset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I guess that I'm in the minority here (surprise) and maybe I'm being a bit too caviler about this but I really have no worries about this, yet. Unless this virus mutates making it more communicable, I really dont think we have much to be too concerned about, yet.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I guess that I'm in the minority here (surprise) and maybe I'm being a bit too caviler about this but I really have no worries about this, yet. Unless this virus mutates making it more communicable, I really dont think we have much to be too concerned about, yet.
Right there with you.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My fear is that we don't rightly know just how communicable this thing is. However, we're about to find out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My issues isn't with you, me or the average Joe "worrying" about it or not. My concern is our government getting too caught up in trying to convince the public this is really no big deal and not taking the necessary steps to ensure it doesn't become a big deal. Because we all know if anybody can screw something up our government definitely can.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
My sister-in-law is an epidemiologist with the CDC - if I start panicking then you probably should, too.

Right now I'm as chill as can be...
I would think that most epidemiologist have a restraint to freaking out that goes way beyond the threshold of what the average person would freak out about in regards to infectious diseases. With that said, and their high threshold of panic, if the panic button does go off there and it goes public.........it's too late IMHO.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Although I am not too concerned overall, I fail to see how the hospital (in Dallas?) sent the patient home with anti-biotics :eek2:
IMO, that is a way larger threat to public health than ebola.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We won't exactly be freaking out, either.

Here's a true story:

In 2000, I was working the lab at Columbus AFB (MS). It was after lunch. A mother and her child walked in, and I gave them the collection kit for a stool sample. A minute or so later a second one came in. Not very unusual. Then a third one came in about a minute later. I asked the mother, "Is something strange going on? You're the third person in five minutes I've had ask for the Para-Pak, and we only give away that many in a week or so."

She then tells me: "Yeah, there's 42 people here to get checked out for an outbreak in the nursery."

I about faint. I go bolting into my boss's office and tell him what's going on - because this makes no sense at all. He goes tearing down the hall past everyone and finds a doctor. After a few minutes, they put it all together.

What happened was some other child who stayed at the nursery was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. The stupid momma of this kid heard that the isolate causing infection was (drum roll) E. coli - which is true. E coli causes something like 89% of standard UTIs - that's where we usually get it from. It's in your intestine as normal flora and is in your poo. (This is why women are supposed to wipe backwards, not forwards). So she tells the nursery - QUOTE - "my child has an E coli infection."

And if you know about the freakouts, you know what happened. The nursery confused the TOXIN 0157:H7 (that can be found in undercooked hamburger) with the BACTERIA causing the UTI. And thus they sent 42 kids over for something based on....ignorance.

Good thing to - we only kept ten kits in house.

:)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I would think that most epidemiologist have a restraint to freaking out that goes way beyond the threshold of what the average person would freak out about in regards to infectious diseases. With that said, and their high threshold of panic, if the panic button does go off there and it goes public.........it's too late IMHO.
Epidemiologists are far removed from the front line. It's like a 4 star general panicking. Easy to not panic if you are far removed from the danger. Even on the front line of the ER I'm not panicking, but I am aware.

Although I am not too concerned overall, I fail to see how the hospital (in Dallas?) sent the patient home with anti-biotics :eek2:
IMO, that is a way larger threat to public health than ebola.
I hope you are right, because we'll find out soon if half of that equation is true. It is already apparent they have underestimated this virus multiple times: It will burn itself out, it spreads too quickly to continue, it's unlikely to come here, etc;.... Meanwhile a lifeform measured in nanometers keeps outsmarting us and exceeding expectations. I'm not saying it's time to panic, but the PTB better wake the hell up really soon and start being proactive instead of reactive.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I have strong reservations about what is being put forth about how Ebola is contracted. I believe it is more contagious than we are being told. The story about Mr. Duncan, the infected man in Dallas, leaves many unanswered questions and if I or my friends and family had been near him, I would be very afraid.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
those are the intelligent ones.
i tell people all the time that the function of government in a crisis is not to ensure the survival of the population. it is to ensure the survival of government. just like fukushima- the first thing the government said was, "Keep calm, dont panic" the second thing they said was "we have this under control." every gov is exactly the same in this regard. including ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.