TSA Pre-Check Status - Anyone Have It?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
One of the worst experiences about air travel is the security screening process. TSA and the airlines have a pre-screening program available whereby you're able to bypass the hassle of the long lines, taking off your shoes, emptying your pockets, etc.

On my last trip, my boarding pass from USAir had "TSA Pre-Check" listed on the pass in the upper left corner. On both the departure and return flights. I've never applied for this before. For both flights, I went to the USAir ticket counter to check my luggage, and I don't know if the agent did something there that got me that status (I don't think a ticket agent can do that).

How did I get this without having applied? After so many flights and you haven't blown anything up or threatened anyone, do they finally grant you his? I can't find any information. And I only fly 3-4 times per year.

Surely this isn't something random that happens. Anyone know anything about this?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
totally random, got this myself a few weeks back in and out of Las Vegas

You can apply for this status at TSA.gov i believe but they also just randomly assign people to have it occasionally, You just got lucky that day

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We got it too on our recent trip to Chicago; I have no idea why. I used to fly every week, but that ended about 10 years ago and I haven't flown much since.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I got it on my last flight from Boston, along with a ton of other cattle standing in line. The TSA will sometimes do it en masse to push the herd through, according to the agent who was herding us. Purely apocryphal, of course, but that's what you get on the NS board.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i have both tsa pre-check and global entry. i think that the pre-check comes as part of the global entry, but i also get it through my delta medallion status. both of these make security and customs much faster and less of a hassle.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
$85 if you want it essentially all the time. I've found it's worth it: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/application-program

If you fly a lot internationally, look into Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI as well.

Edit: Just realized you were asking about the random one: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/likelihood-receiving-tsa-precheck. My chance of getting it before I paid for it was fairly related to the amount I flew on the respective airline - a quarter of the time with United up to over half the time with Southwest.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I have it. Was given to me without any type of application after 1 year of particularly heavy air travel. Prior to receiving it, I looked for ways to get it without paying any fees, but never could find a method. I now see a number of places in large hub airports where anyone can sign up for it, but there is a screening process. I don't know if the fee still applies.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I just found it very coincidental that I've never gotten it before and got it twice in a row, if it's random. The departing airport was Charlotte and the returning airport was Chicago O'Hare - both very busy.

If it's a random selection then why put anyone through the TSA ordeal?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I just found it very coincidental that I've never gotten it before and got it twice in a row, if it's random. The departing airport was Charlotte and the returning airport was Chicago O'Hare - both very busy.

Maybe you've been selected to be part of the secret club. I'll check with the rest of the membership committee and let you know if your provisional status has been upgraded to permanent status. Back in a few.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Regarding the permanent status, by BIL paid for it as he flies overseas a few times a year and loves it. It can be viewed as a kick-back, and it well might be, but pragmatically it may be worth it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I have it through Delta and Amex.....but I only have it if I fly Delta....I just flew United this week and didn't have it.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Maybe you've been selected to be part of the secret club. I'll check with the rest of the membership committee and let you know if your provisional status has been upgraded to permanent status. Back in a few.
OK. I think I know the secret handshake.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I've only flown USAir the last few years because of their hub in Charlotte. maybe it's an airline thing.

I'm hesitant to call asking questions, afraid they'll put me on the Terrorist Watch list or something. Don't want to mess up a good thing.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I've only flown USAir the last few years because of their hub in Charlotte. maybe it's an airline thing.

I'm hesitant to call asking questions, afraid they'll put me on the Terrorist Watch list or something. Don't want to mess up a good thing.

It's not really random and it is an airline thing.

Specific airlines can put a certain number of "frequent" flyers on what is basically their own TSA Pre-Check list if they meet certain criteria. It isn't published exactly what exactly constitutes a "frequent" flyer nor what the specific criteria is that the passengers must meet. It's also a shorter, temporary status that most likely only applies to flights on that specific airline - though being put on the list for one airline probably doesn't hurt your chances of being put on it for another.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It's not really random and it is an airline thing.

Specific airlines can put a certain number of "frequent" flyers on what is basically their own TSA Pre-Check list if they meet certain criteria. It isn't published exactly what exactly constitutes a "frequent" flyer nor what the specific criteria is that the passengers must meet. It's also a shorter, temporary status that most likely only applies to flights on that specific airline - though being put on the list for one airline probably doesn't hurt your chances of being put on it for another.
That makes sense - I had about 500,000 FF miles on Delta back last decade.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One of the worst experiences about air travel is the security screening process. TSA and the airlines have a pre-screening program available whereby you're able to bypass the hassle of the long lines, taking off your shoes, emptying your pockets, etc.

On my last trip, my boarding pass from USAir had "TSA Pre-Check" listed on the pass in the upper left corner. On both the departure and return flights. I've never applied for this before. For both flights, I went to the USAir ticket counter to check my luggage, and I don't know if the agent did something there that got me that status (I don't think a ticket agent can do that).

How did I get this without having applied? After so many flights and you haven't blown anything up or threatened anyone, do they finally grant you his? I can't find any information. And I only fly 3-4 times per year.

Surely this isn't something random that happens. Anyone know anything about this?
I recently had that on a flight from Houston to Chicago on United. A TSA lady still asked me to take my sandals off. I again showed her the TSA Pre-Check status and she just let me move on.

I guess you and I did not look like someone from Middle East or just too OLD to cause any problems.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If they read his TideFans many posts, do you really think they would give him that status?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Other than paying for the program (which is one of the best investments a frequent traveler can make) there are two ways to get it:

"Random" - actually nothing of the sort; your travel profile fits certain criteria that make you most unlikely to be a risk. Even if I knew what these criteria are (and I don't), I couldn't divulge them.

Carrier invitation - if you are a frequent flyer on an airline, they know enough about you and your travel patterns and profile to refer you to the TSA as a low risk passenger. TSA then has the option of agreeing with the airline and giving you pre-check on that carrier only.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.