Link: TE Will Gragg Commits to Arkansas

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I didn't see a post on Will Gragg yet, so...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/4-star_tight_end_will_gragg_pl.html#incart_river

I thought we had a real shot with this TE. Even though his brother played there too, I hoped we could sway him to Bama. Obviously his recruitment isn't over, but wanted to see what everyone thinks our chances of flipping him to Bama. I think he is more of a pass catching TE (OJ Howard) where Hale is more of a blocking TE(Brian Vogler).
Arky is starting to turn their team around, so I would imagine it will be tough to flip him. But I also don't see Bielema throwing to his tight ends like we will (even though we haven't shown it yet).

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: TE Will Gragg commits to Arkansas

I didn't see a post on Will Gragg yet, so...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/4-star_tight_end_will_gragg_pl.html#incart_river

I thought we had a real shot with this TE. Even though his brother played there too, I hoped we could sway him to Bama. Obviously his recruitment isn't over, but wanted to see what everyone thinks our chances of flipping him to Bama. I think he is more of a pass catching TE (OJ Howard) where Hale is more of a blocking TE(Brian Vogler).
Arky is starting to turn their team around, so I would imagine it will be tough to flip him. But I also don't see Bielema throwing to his tight ends like we will (even though we haven't shown it yet).
Hentges is not "more of a blocking TE". He might be the most complete TE we've signed in many years. He had nearly 1000 yards receiving last season.

To answer your question, no, I do not see Gragg flipping.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Hentges is not "more of a blocking TE". He might be the most complete TE we've signed in many years. He had nearly 1000 yards receiving last season.
Agreed on the specifics, though I can understand some of the underlying concern because a lot of people tend to equate Hentges to what Vogler was as a prep recruit several years ago.

Having said that, I just don't see the Hentges-Vogler comparison as a particularly fitting one. Hentges is a couple of inches shorter -- and I don't say that as a bad thing, either, because I think one of Vogler's biggest problems as a receiver is just that he's so long that's he's pretty stiff in the hips with subpar initial burst -- and about 35 pounds lighter at this point. I just think Hentges is generally more athletic, and although he will gain some weight in the S&C program, I don't think he'll get near where Vogler plays at now. I would be surprised if Hentges ever played north of 250 pounds.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Re: Gragg

Was hoping we could stay in play for this one, but we all knew that Arkansas was the preferred destination for him provided that they maintained some semblance of respectability and progress, and that's essentially what Bielema has done so far this season. I don't think Arkansas needs a particularly good season to hold on to Gragg -- 6-6 would do it for certain, I imagine -- they just need to avoid a repeat of last year's outright dumpster fire.

Moving forward, who knows? Arkansas may well tank to yet, and even 5-7 is going to require at least one SEC win over a quality opponent (something Bielema didn't manage a year ago) and a win over a UAB team that actually looks to be fairly respectable. If things go south again, perhaps we get back in with Gragg down the stretch.

I will say, though, for our own appeal, the fact that we have averaged about one throw per week to a tight end so far this season isn't helping our cause. Not saying that will continue definitely moving forward, of course, but obviously you can't dispute that it has been the case to date, and you can rest assured that prospects pay very close attention to that sort of thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.