B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm with Tom Luginbil on this one in that this is going to be a total mess. We've gone to complete subjectivity which is why the BCS was created in the first place. Why couldn't we just keep the BCS system in place and take the top four ranked teams?

I'm with Tom Luginbil on this one in that this is going to be a total mess. We've gone to complete subjectivity which is why the BCS was created in the first place. Why couldn't we just keep the BCS system in place and take the top four ranked teams?

That's what I have been saying the whole time!! This committee crap is going to mess up college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A lot of reasonable people argued for a playoff, and I understand how we got there. Every other major sport has a playoff. But you don't have to win your conference/division in any other sport to make the playoffs. We learned from a time in which most sports only allowed conference/division winners into the playoffs. Our thinking matured as we saw very deserving teams omitted from the playoffs in every sport. There is no way that a reasonable person can conclude that only a conference champion should be allowed into a playoff. This type of thought is not based on reason, but on selfishness. It hurts the sport.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Because doing so might result in 2 (or more) SEC teams in the playoff. The playoff was created in response to the all-SEC Alabama-LSU BCS Championship. A subjective human committee will "spread the wealth" rather than reward the best 4 teams.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I've wondered the same thing. The frustration was rarely how the teams were ranked but the fact that only two were allowed to play for it all. The BCS after all of its tailoring came up with a pretty good system for ranking teams IMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You got it right with the self-serving comment. He doesn't really believe what he said, and neither does anyone else. BUT, that standard would help Michigan State more than the standard of "best team gets in regardless." It helps all the average teams and conferences that are lagging behind right now.

Having said that, I join in with the hatred of the concept of a committee. We wanted more fairness, more objectivity, more clarity, more transparency and what did we do? Go the exact opposite direction of all those things with this 13 person committee.

But that's the point. They lied about the goals. The true intent here was to lock in the bowl system (all proceeds straight into the hands of the power conferences), and gain absolute control over who gets in. No more of this pesky computer polls business. Now we don't ever have to worry about 2 SEC teams getting in the title game again. Oh sure we may have to allow 2 SEC teams in, but they've got control of the seeding so we'll just make them play each other in the first round. Even if they are clearly the two best teams in the tournament and deserve to be on opposite sides of the bracket.

This will not apply to the other conferences as the rest of the college football world doesn't currently hate them.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Because doing so might result in 2 (or more) SEC teams in the playoff. The playoff was created in response to the all-SEC Alabama-LSU BCS Championship. A subjective human committee will "spread the wealth" rather than reward the best 4 teams.
This. My boss, a Ohio State fan, was ticked off when Bama played LSU for the championship. He said, "If you can';t win your division, why should you get to play for the national champinship.
Someone on this very forum had posted what a conference champions only play-off would have entailed. #1 LSU plays #10 somebody (I forget who that was at the time) and #4 plays #7 somebody else.
BCS-ranked teams at #2, & 3 would have been left out, but #7 and #10 would be in. That made sense to him, but it did not (and does not) to me. (I think it was just SEC fatigue from a B1G fan). Conference championship was not in the BCS criteria and what if the best two teams in the country are from the same division?
Conference championship is now in the criteria (albeit informally). I'd be stunned if two SEC teams make the play-off from now on.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If Bama fans are upset about that playoff committee as it is, imagine how bad it would be if we didn't have our ringer in the group. ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You have to realize the obvious context behind what created this playoff system. If the only thing standing between keeping the bowl system and moving to the playoff system was a desire for a better championship selection system then we would have been doing playoffs since the mid-1990s or earlier.

The reality is that the playoffs system we have today was a direct response to the Alabama-LSU national championship game. The BCS got it right (it selected the two best teams) but it also got it wrong politically (it locked everyone but the SEC out of the title). This system exists solely to prevent that scenario from happening again.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
Makes too much sense. I have been telling people that for months. All this is, is a 13 person poll. And anybody that is an active AD shouldn't be on it. If was just retired coaches, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the BCS actually made sense and your schedule meant something. They could of kept it and added a four team playoff. You have six big conferences, let's see who does not get in and starts complaining.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You got it right with the self-serving comment. He doesn't really believe what he said, and neither does anyone else. BUT, that standard would help Michigan State more than the standard of "best team gets in regardless." It helps all the average teams and conferences that are lagging behind right now.

Having said that, I join in with the hatred of the concept of a committee. We wanted more fairness, more objectivity, more clarity, more transparency and what did we do? Go the exact opposite direction of all those things with this 13 person committee.

But that's the point. They lied about the goals. The true intent here was to lock in the bowl system (all proceeds straight into the hands of the power conferences), and gain absolute control over who gets in. No more of this pesky computer polls business. Now we don't ever have to worry about 2 SEC teams getting in the title game again. Oh sure we may have to allow 2 SEC teams in, but they've got control of the seeding so we'll just make them play each other in the first round. Even if they are clearly the two best teams in the tournament and deserve to be on opposite sides of the bracket.

This will not apply to the other conferences as the rest of the college football world doesn't currently hate them.
Oh, but it will apply to the other conferences. They wouldn't dare do something that would set a precedent that would force them to have to do the same for the SEC at a later date.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Exactly what I said the first time I heard about the committee. The NCAA continues to make idiotic decisions. What else is new?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The crazy thing is that no one was against the OSU vs Michigan possible rematch in 06

No one outside the SEC was against OU vs USC in 04 or OU (who wasnt champion) vs LSU instead of USC vs LSU.

The SEC was asking for a BCS playoff for years but it fell on death's ears, but when an all SEC rematch national championship game happens everyone wants a playoff all of the sudden

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yup, I've been saying since this was even being discussed that a playoff is going to ruin football. The BCS got it right nearly every time.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The committee was completely unnecessary. Keep the playoffs, the top four teams on the last BCS top 25 advance to the playoffs is all the change that was needed. It won't surprise me if the committee only last for a season or two before NCAA realize it was a stupid idea to begin with.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.