Dantonio has lost my respect - Playoff Comments

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I want this. Easier teams to beat in the playoff. All we got to do is win the SEC.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
in a way I agree that an "at large" shouldn't go ahead of another conference champion. The record or perception still doesn't solve the issue of who is "truly" the best...I have said all along that the playoff needs to be 8 teams: 5 major conference champions (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12)plus the three highest ranked at large teams- this would only be one more game than what we have now and solves basically every major issue......

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Most logical people agree that the main reason for the committee was to keep two SEC teams from playing for the championship again.

I firmly believe that goal 1A was to create a controversy so that the playoff would quickly go to 8 teams due to public outcry.
We will see an 8 team playoff before we see any changes to the committee.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I agree with all of the comments above. They want to institute a conference championship criteria to qualify for the playoffs but they make exceptions for Notre Damn who doesn't bother to join a conference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The crazy thing is that no one was against the OSU vs Michigan possible rematch in 06
That is not true - just about everyone opposed it, and the human polls are what kept Michigan out of that game. The computers had Michigan #2.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The crazy thing is that no one was against the OSU vs Michigan possible rematch in 06

No one outside the SEC was against OU vs USC in 04 or OU (who wasnt champion) vs LSU instead of USC vs LSU.

The SEC was asking for a BCS playoff for years but it fell on death's ears, but when an all SEC rematch national championship game happens everyone wants a playoff all of the sudden
You have a poor memory.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
in a way I agree that an "at large" shouldn't go ahead of another conference champion. The record or perception still doesn't solve the issue of who is "truly" the best...I have said all along that the playoff needs to be 8 teams: 5 major conference champions (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12)plus the three highest ranked at large teams- this would only be one more game than what we have now and solves basically every major issue......
We have a winner! I have been a fan of this scenario for a while.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Welcome to the era of the soapbox. Michigan State lost to Oregon killing their hopes to make the playoff, unless the criteria is conference champs only which makes the Oregon loss meaningless. Dantonio's mission now is to plant that seed thru any available avenue. It's the only way MSU stays relevant. But what happens to the conference winner that gets left out? There's only four playoff spots and five conferences. Someone would still have to choose the least relevant conference champ which in most years is the B1G anyway.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Having to win your conference would pretty much guarantee that the playoff would be the champion of the SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, and ACC.
That would be a total disaster.
And what about the independents, who don't have a conference to win?
I understand what he was trying to do, and it doesn't affect my respect for him, because he's one heck of a coach and a good man.
But he's dead wrong in his opinion here.
I'm one who thinks the BCS formula should be used to pick the final four teams, and if they're all from one conference, so be it.
The objective is to determine the best four teams in college football, not the best way to distribute playoff money equally between the power conferences.
sip

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You have a poor memory.
about the 06 game?

Im not using how the polls voted on this but the media and overall fan reactions (who like or not will have an influence on the playoffs) because if i use the polls then the 2011 game didnt have any controvesy at all

From what I remember there was more support for USC (who lost to Oregon State) before they lost to UCLA. I remember that many people felt Michigan who lost on a "controversial" call against OSU and could probably beat them in a rematch. Many commentators made that arguement that they faired way better than Florida against the Buckeyes.
The SEC got screwed out of a consensus national championship in 03 because Oklahoma was the weakest arguement out of the three teams (USC,LSU,and the Sooners) because they didnt win their conference (Irony right). The Rose and Sugar Bowl automatic selection prevented the USC vs LSU matchup. Then in 04 like it or not Auburn and USC were by far the two best teams. I dont think Auburn wouldve won but they wouldve done far better than OU.
No one besides the SEC and non automatic qualifers (Boise, Utah,and TCU) supported a playoff seriously until the rematch of powerful defenses in 2011 happened and all this you had to win your conference talk started. This is even after the 2001 dork up where Nebraska made it in to get embarrassed by Miami.

maybe Im missing something but that is what I remember

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I do wonder why Mike Slive and the SEC AD's went along with the committee idea. As I understand it, it had to voted in.
I have to think he felt it would give us a chance to get more teams in the playoff, although, to me, we'd have a better chance to get more teams in using the BCS formula...so I don't know...

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I have said all along that the playoff needs to be 8 teams: 5 major conference champions (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12)plus the three highest ranked at large teams- this would only be one more game than what we have now and solves basically every major issue......
It's already an 8 team playoff, and teams like ND and Oklahoma(or whomever is the Big 12 champ) get a bye through the first round. If anyone thinks these ccg's aren't "de facto" playoff games, watch what happens if you lose. Barring some bizarre circumstances this "committee" with their new "criteria" will not put a loser of a ccg in the final four. A team would most certainly have to go into a ccg undefeated to lose and still make the playoffs. The chances of a one-loss non conference champ getting in are small. The chances of a two-loss non conference champ making it are practically nil.

The SEC will almost certainly get only one team in(and may not get that). The main objective is to avoid a possible all SEC NCG...that would not be good for ESPN and their sales of commercials.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.