Malzahn Whines About Refs Slowing Pace in KSU Win

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
Gus was not really whining. I think that we can all agree that Gus' offense is not a clean HUNH. Its secret to success is due as much to bending the rules as it is to the pace. Gus needs the illegal formations, the offsides and quick snaps to succeed. And to get away with this the officials need to be distracted enough to miss the proper calls. This is a head game Gus is playing with all officiating crews. They know by now that he is a loudmouth. They know that he is going to be yelling at them non-stop. And the more that they are obsessing about Gus on the sidelines, the less attention they will be paying to what is going on on the field. And this gives Gus the advantage.

The solution is for the refs to control of the game themselves and run it at a pace that allows them to ensure that every play is run cleanly. And if Gus yells at them, throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After you throw three flags on Gus eject from from the game. Then start throwing flags on the OC or whomever Gus designates to take his place on the sideline. In other words, man up and do your job.
:pDT_Armataz_01_34: on TideFans.com Amen!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
A couple of 15 yard yellow flags would more than likely shut them up. If not, keep throwing them.
I agree, but the problem that raises is whether they are going to flag coaches (like our own) who rage at them over missed/bad calls.

if it's unsportsmanlike to yell at the ref for pace of play, it should also be unsportsmanlike to yell at him for a blown call, right?

Crimson Bourne

1st Team
Jun 23, 2005
Blue Ridge, GA
Funny I just watched this game again this afternoon. The refs were spotting at a pretty quick pace. The problem was the barn was getting whipped at the line of scrimmage. Right now their o-line is nothing like it was last year and artis-Payne is nowhere near mason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I agree, but the problem that raises is whether they are going to flag coaches (like our own) who rage at them over missed/bad calls.

if it's unsportsmanlike to yell at the ref for pace of play, it should also be unsportsmanlike to yell at him for a blown call, right?
I wouldn't be worried about throwing flags on coaches yelling at officials. Now if they want to throw flags for coaches being out on the numbers, so be it, but even that would get a warning or two. As an official I would just go at the pace that I wanted so long as it was the same pace for both teams. Even in a 2 minute scenario, I would operate at my desired consistent pace.

There are certain coaches that Linesmen and Head Linesmen do not care about being around (see Coach Gene Stallings). But, there are also certain Head Linesmen and Linesmen that coaches are careful in how they talk to them. I know for a fact that CNS went into what appeared to be a full meltdown with a Line Judge last year but CNS was not yelling at the Line Judge about his officiating but the missed assignment of a certain DB. I think the Line Judge even cracked a small smile at what Saban was saying.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
K state game, even though aubren won, is the beginning of the end for the charade that is Gus mahlzan. They will be in full melt down after the miss st game.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Funny I just watched this game again this afternoon. The refs were spotting at a pretty quick pace. The problem was the barn was getting whipped at the line of scrimmage. Right now their o-line is nothing like it was last year and artis-Payne is nowhere near mason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This part is very true. They miss Mason, Robinson, and Prosch a lot more than they'd probably care to admit right now. Also defenses aren't getting fooled as much by NM's fakes and misdirections like last year.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
K state game, even though aubren won, is the beginning of the end for the charade that is Gus mahlzan. They will be in full melt down after the miss st game.
Exactly. Even their 45-17 win over Louisiana Tech is misleading. La. Tech stopped the barn quite a few times in the first half and then the game got away from them in the second half when their lack of depth caught up with them.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Exactly. Even their 45-17 win over Louisiana Tech is misleading. La. Tech stopped the barn quite a few times in the first half and then the game got away from them in the second half when their lack of depth caught up with them.
But that is the exact recipe GM uses to beat teams. He runs his offense as fast as he can until the refs and your guys start getting out of position from fatigue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.