Malzahn Whines About Refs Slowing Pace in KSU Win

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I just saw the article over on SI.com. If someone else could link it, I would appreciate it. Now, let's see everyone jump on Gus's back for being a crybaby like they did Saban!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched the game and he was going nuts at the officials. But he doesn't need to worry, once he gets back into SEC games he'll get his usual ref sprinting at full speed to ensure the ball gets spotted so he can run his little offense.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I loved watching him whine in that game. On some plays, including when he was whining for the play to get started, the the ref was scrambling to get into position, which is what the refs don't want to be doing. But for the most part, they did the "crisp jog". That really lit a fire under him. Waaaah!

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I loved watching him whine in that game. On some plays, including when he was whining for the play to get started, the the ref was scrambling to get into position, which is what the refs don't want to be doing. But for the most part, they did the "crisp jog". That really lit a fire under him. Waaaah!
Exactly. What did RichRod tell Nick a few months ago? I think it was, "Cry me a river." Old Gus really did look like a spoiled brat waving his little finger and stomping because he wasn't getting his way.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'll say up front that I know this will never happen because it would reduce the number of commercials and that would affect the revenues generated by college football games. But here's what I'd like to see:

1. Go to a running clock - 30 mins per half. The clock would stop for injuries.
2. Minimum of 15 seconds between plays - max of 25. This would give the defense time to substitute based on the situation.
3. Each team gets 3 timeouts that can only be used in the final 5 minutes of the half.
4. OT is an additional 15 min period with a running clock - same as the regular game with kickoffs, first downs, punts, etc.

This way we could complete a game in 2 hours instead of 3-4 hours, there would be a reduction in TV timeouts, and the HUNH offense would not be as much of a factor.

Last edited:

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
Watched the KSU game and the refs did perfect to not give one group an advantage over the other. The more I think about this whole thing its very simple. Play with what you brought. What Gus and others like him want is something that cannot be equalized out without a mediator. That mediator is the Refs. Really I have to go at such a pace to cheat substitutions and the officiating crew to win a play. Not in the spirit of the game if you ask me.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It was a Big 12 crew. I read somewhere last year that the Big 12 a couple of years ago added an extra official due to the "pace of game" in their league. The sole purpose of that official was to spot the ball and then insure that the rest of the officials were able to do their pre snap duties without having to worry about spotting the ball. Their intent was to actually speed up the pace - it appears to have worked in reverse since that official also checks to make sure all the others are ready before marking the ball ready for play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Watched the KSU game and the refs did perfect to not give one group an advantage over the other. The more I think about this whole thing its very simple. Play with what you brought. What Gus and others like him want is something that cannot be equalized out without a mediator. That mediator is the Refs. Really I have to go at such a pace to cheat substitutions and the officiating crew to win a play. Not in the spirit of the game if you ask me.
What Gus and the rest of the crybabies want is special treatment. Their entire offense is based off ONE thing and that's snapping the ball before anyone else is ready. Now what does that say about the offense?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gus ought to be glad he got out of there with a win. The MVP for Auburn was the K-State kicker for Pete's sake.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
The ref should NEVER allow play to begin until all HIS people are set. The teams can whine all they want but the ref has to be in position to judge play.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What Gus and the rest of the crybabies want is special treatment. Their entire offense is based off ONE thing and that's snapping the ball before anyone else is ready. Now what does that say about the offense?
what i've always said about it and it involved the words bravo and sierra

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
"Auburn's average of 2.45 plays per minute against Kansas State was below its season mark of 2.47"

If the difference was .02 plays per minute, that means they missed out on 1.2 plays if they held the ball for 60 minutes. Or, for the 31 minutes they actually held possession, it amounts to .62 plays. At 2.47 plays per minute, .62 plays is the equivalent of 15.06 seconds. 15.06 seconds is .418 % of the game time. Yup, that's less than half of a percent.

This isn't Gus talking to Big 12 officials; This is Tom Sawyer telling SEC officials how amazingly fast they are at whitewashing the fence.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There is going to be some differences between conference officiating, but IMO as long as it is consistent for both teams then there should be no need to complain. We will see what everyone has to say after the TAMU game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.