Malzahn Whines About Refs Slowing Pace in KSU Win

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I thought this was an interesting bit from the al article, in regards to the pace of officials in the KSU-*U game:
"There's always a difference in athleticism, at times, there's always a crew that has an issue, but we've got to eliminate that," Shaw said. "It's not good when we say one conference is moving, and I would tell you, in deference to the Big 12, they've got a lot of fast teams. Normally, they do a pretty good job keeping up with the pace. "

Seems to me he's contradicting Gus publicly. Anybody else have a different take?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I don't think there should be any officials on the field when AU plays aTm. :biggrin:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The only problem with the officiating in that game was that the API bench should have been flagged for excessive whining. It basically amounts to, if the officials don't do what we say, we lose chances to cheat. He is going to look pretty stupid when his argument is compared to math. All that whining and fussing over less than two plays? Shut up, Gus.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I'll say up front that I know this will never happen because it would reduce the number of commercials and that would affect the revenues generated by college football games. But here's what I'd like to see:

1. Go to a running clock - 30 mins per half. The clock would stop for injuries.
2. Minimum of 15 seconds between plays - max of 25. This would give the defense time to substitute based on the situation.
3. Each team gets 3 timeouts that can only be used in the final 5 minutes of the half.
4. OT is an additional 15 min period with a running clock - same as the regular game with kickoffs, first downs, punts, etc.

This way we could complete a game in 2 hours instead of 3-4 hours, there would be a reduction in TV timeouts, and the HUNH offense would not be as much of a factor.
Is this meant to be in blue? This would not be the same sport so you might want to try soccer...

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
(Cry me a river)
Yes
(Cry me a river)
I want you to cry

(Cry me a river)
I want you to leave
(Cry me a river)
Ahh

(Cry me a river)
Cry me
(Cry me a river)
Oh, I cried a river over you
Yeah, I cried a river over you

(I cried a river over you)
Over you
Over you

Ahh
River, over

I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you

Cry me a river
Cry me a river
Cry me a river
Cry me a river

Cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK............can't resist this bad pun...........

Where was the Crimean War fought?

At the Crimea River.

I knew you would hate it...............

Hey, Gus............guess which river you can jump in.............

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It was a Big 12 crew. I read somewhere last year that the Big 12 a couple of years ago added an extra official due to the "pace of game" in their league. The sole purpose of that official was to spot the ball and then insure that the rest of the officials were able to do their pre snap duties without having to worry about spotting the ball. Their intent was to actually speed up the pace - it appears to have worked in reverse since that official also checks to make sure all the others are ready before marking the ball ready for play.
I saw an announcer before one of the Big 12 games allude to the extra ref and that he was supposed to keep pace with the offense. In the Big 12's case, this did appear to be the goal from what I read and heard. However, I suppose having someone watch how ridiculous they were usually behaving might end up helping.

We're a long way from seeing any sort of uniform code for how refs should handle the situation, but offenses are going to try to go faster and faster, that much is clear. The refs are going to have the draw the line somewhere.

Gus is a joke though... he'll have players go down to slow down the pace, he'll have players rush to the line then burn clock, and yet he finds room to yell at other people for not going fast enough.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Is this meant to be in blue? This would not be the same sport so you might want to try soccer...
No, not meant to be in blue. But I knew the running clock idea would garner a soccer reference. I'm just surprised it took this long.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Gus was not really whining. I think that we can all agree that Gus' offense is not a clean HUNH. Its secret to success is due as much to bending the rules as it is to the pace. Gus needs the illegal formations, the offsides and quick snaps to succeed. And to get away with this the officials need to be distracted enough to miss the proper calls. This is a head game Gus is playing with all officiating crews. They know by now that he is a loudmouth. They know that he is going to be yelling at them non-stop. And the more that they are obsessing about Gus on the sidelines, the less attention they will be paying to what is going on on the field. And this gives Gus the advantage.

The solution is for the refs to control of the game themselves and run it at a pace that allows them to ensure that every play is run cleanly. And if Gus yells at them, throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After you throw three flags on Gus eject from from the game. Then start throwing flags on the OC or whomever Gus designates to take his place on the sideline. In other words, man up and do your job.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Gus was not really whining. I think that we can all agree that Gus' offense is not a clean HUNH. Its secret to success is due as much to bending the rules as it is to the pace. Gus needs the illegal formations, the offsides and quick snaps to succeed. And to get away with this the officials need to be distracted enough to miss the proper calls. This is a head game Gus is playing with all officiating crews. They know by now that he is a loudmouth. They know that he is going to be yelling at them non-stop. And the more that they are obsessing about Gus on the sidelines, the less attention they will be paying to what is going on on the field. And this gives Gus the advantage.

The solution is for the refs to control of the game themselves and run it at a pace that allows them to ensure that every play is run cleanly. And if Gus yells at them, throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After you throw three flags on Gus eject from from the game. Then start throwing flags on the OC or whomever Gus designates to take his place on the sideline. In other words, man up and do your job.
I hope the refs so that when they come to BDS in November.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'll say up front that I know this will never happen because it would reduce the number of commercials and that would affect the revenues generated by college football games. But here's what I'd like to see:

2. Minimum of 15 seconds between plays - max of 25. This would give the defense time to substitute based on the situation.
3. Each team gets 3 timeouts that can only be used in the final 5 minutes of the half.
4. OT is an additional 15 min period with a running clock - same as the regular game with kickoffs, first downs, punts, etc.

This way we could complete a game in 2 hours instead of 3-4 hours, there would be a reduction in TV timeouts, and the HUNH offense would not be as much of a factor.
I think the game you are looking for is futbol, aka soccer. Please leave our game alone

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
This is exactly why it is so difficult for me to understand why so many Bama fans cheer for auburn when they aren't playing Bama. They say that they only pull for them out of "SEC pride" when they play out of conference or out of "state pride" when they play another SEC team. Well, I say forget that. I personally take ZERO pride in anything the barn does.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
What do you mean spotted? they usually just throw it down and run off as its being snapped.
I watched the game and he was going nuts at the officials. But he doesn't need to worry, once he gets back into SEC games he'll get his usual ref sprinting at full speed to ensure the ball gets spotted so he can run his little offense.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems so obvious Gus depends on working the refs and jumping the gun before everybody is ready, what I wonder about is why the refs allow it. They've got to not like being jerked around and surely they are aware of the same things we discuss here. It's not a situation where the refs just don't know the rules. Why would they let a team snap the ball even before all the refs are set? It just doesn't make sense.

If I were a ref, the more the coach screamed "hurry up!" the slower my crisp jog would be.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This is exactly why it is so difficult for me to understand why so many Bama fans cheer for auburn when they aren't playing Bama. They say that they only pull for them out of "SEC pride" when they play out of conference or out of "state pride" when they play another SEC team. Well, I say forget that. I personally take ZERO pride in anything the barn does.
That's how I feel whenever the barn or the orange puke play anybody out of conference.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The irony of this is that the boogs were stealing signs thoughout the 1st half. I realize Kstate should have been more aware, but jeesh. Auburn has been on borrowed time for a while now. KState exposed Auburn for what they really are, a team that wins based on gimmicks rather than talent or discipline.

All this whining will eventually affect the boogs with the officials. If Gus starts complaining too much, he'll never get a 50/50 call. All of those officials talk and when you start making them look bad, they will return the favor.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Well they need to sack up and take control because they look BAD! running around scared to death, like a Chinese fire drill.
The irony of this is that the boogs were stealing signs thoughout the 1st half. I realize Kstate should have been more aware, but jeesh. Auburn has been on borrowed time for a while now. KState exposed Auburn for what they really are, a team that wins based on gimmicks rather than talent or discipline.

All this whining will eventually affect the boogs with the officials. If Gus starts complaining too much, he'll never get a 50/50 call. All of those officials talk and when you start making them look bad, they will return the favor.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.