Kirk Herbstreit on Cowherd Show-Bama's offense is "scary".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As others have said, the playbook hasn't been fully opened yet. We haven't seen the rumored goal line formation of Drake and OJ split out wide together, not have we seen the diamond formation discussed in the spring.

Last year after his firing at USC, Kiffin traveled to watch other offenses. We are seeing some of what he learned during those three months. He began going a little up tempo at USC but never went to the HUNH style of Oregon or Baylor.

Also, I've seen some folks on twitter discuss the offensive plays thus far. Several have been packaged plays where Blake can go throw to Coop if the defense plays one coverage or throw elsewhere if the defense plays another coverage. Multiple things appear to be happening during each play, which is going to make things much harder for defensive coaches.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The neat thing is this offense is still learning what it's capable of. It's still working out the kinks. It's in it's infancy and it's only gotten better every week.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As others have said, the playbook hasn't been fully opened yet. We haven't seen the rumored goal line formation of Drake and OJ split out wide together, not have we seen the diamond formation discussed in the spring.

Last year after his firing at USC, Kiffin traveled to watch other offenses. We are seeing some of what he learned during those three months. He began going a little up tempo at USC but never went to the HUNH style of Oregon or Baylor.

Also, I've seen some folks on twitter discuss the offensive plays thus far. Several have been packaged plays where Blake can go throw to Coop if the defense plays one coverage or throw elsewhere if the defense plays another coverage. Multiple things appear to be happening during each play, which is going to make things much harder for defensive coaches.
Yeah, it gives us options if the primary intent isn't there. It forces the defense to cover the entire field. Which means a greater chance of success for the offense.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
It's caused a stir because the first three games were deemed a "fluke" because of the perceived competition level. Then we continue the air raid and the slicing and dicing on the ground against a very talented Florida defense. Sure, your average Bama hater fan is still yelling "They ain't played nobody!!!". But the ones that know football aren't saying that. They're saying what Herbie is saying. "Uh-oh".
I don't know who helped BSs or he just got better on his own but something clicked. Yes I think Fla defense looked good especially against the the run,Coach also said we need to be able to run better between the tackles,I also wanted too see W Virginia against Oklahoma as a measuring stick, because I thought W Virginia Played a pretty good game against us.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Actually I'm somewhat surprised the West Coast offense (which is basically what we're running) has gone out of style. It produces high percentage, quick hitting passes that (in theory) is to keep down and distances at a minimum. The true "scary" part is that we haven't even rolled out what all this offense can do. We're only rolling out what Blake is comfortable with at the moment. As we go further in the year the arsenal will get more elaborate. Can I get a big "UH OH!!!" from the crowd!?
I agree with their playing to Blake Sims strength,also his long ball looks better.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I like Cowherd but he really can't stand the SEC right now. He said on his show that he isn't "buying" that the SEC west is as good as everyone says. Herbstreit was on and said then who are you buying. Cowherd said I'm not buying anybody right now but I think Michigan State and Stanford can play with anybody.

Cowherd said he has OU as his #1 team and AU and aTm as his 2nd and 3rd teams. He said he likes Bama's athletes but isn't sold on the team yet. Cowherd was so high on USCw all off season and the first week or two. Haven't heard a peep about USCw since they lost to..... Boston College lol.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I like Cowherd but he really can't stand the SEC right now. He said on his show that he isn't "buying" that the SEC west is as good as everyone says. Herbstreit was on and said then who are you buying. Cowherd said I'm not buying anybody right now but I think Michigan State and Stanford can play with anybody.

Cowherd said he has OU as his #1 team and AU and aTm as his 2nd and 3rd teams. He said he likes Bama's athletes but isn't sold on the team yet. Cowherd was so high on USCw all off season and the first week or two. Haven't heard a peep about USCw since they lost to..... Boston College lol.
He's not sold on the SEC West yet half of his top four are made up by SEC West teams? Got it!!!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
For me, the most impressive thing about last weekend was 4 turnovers, 11 penalties, and we still win in the fashion that we did. IMHO, you shouldn't expect that to happen against an even reasonably competent (average) opponent. All the more impressive.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yep, we were very basic again on last weekend. The pass to Drake we had already run that place. I really didn't see anything strange. We didn't run zone read or anything. It wasn't like we had to though.

Just think if we hadn't fumbled so many time. we couldn't have have close to 800 yards.
We did see a couple of wildcat plays.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yep, and on the play Blake fumbled that was a zone read sweep and if he would have handed off to Kenyan he may have scored (saw this when I watched the replay of the game).
You are correct. He had the blocking and running room for a big gain!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I still think at some point we're going to add an option to the mix - not much, just one or two to allow for Sims' natural playmaking ability coupled with any number of our backs' unique skill sets.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Pundits and other fans before the UF game:
"Alabama hasn't played anyone." "Just wait until they play Florida, that UF defense will shut them down!" "Florida will expose Alabama."

Pundits and other fans after the UF game:
"Florida was overrated." " Florida is a weak SEC defense." "Alabama still hasn't played a ranked team."

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Pundits and other fans before the UF game:
"Alabama hasn't played anyone." "Just wait until they play Florida, that UF defense will shut them down!" "Florida will expose Alabama."

Pundits and other fans after the UF game:
"Florida was overrated." " Florida is a weak SEC defense." "Alabama still hasn't played a ranked team."

Everyone is overrated AFTER we play them. All the SEC west love will be downplayed if we go undefeated. "Oh they were all overrated...blah blah".

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You are correct. He had the blocking and running room for a big gain!
I thought sims made the right read on that play. The olb/de didn't bite inside at all and was maintaining leverage and staying parallel to the LOS. That said, I think drake just might have the wheels to beat him to the edge and turn up field anyway though...

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Everyone is overrated AFTER we play them. All the SEC west love will be downplayed if we go undefeated. "Oh they were all overrated...blah blah".
That's what they will say. Even after the SEC West stomps everybody else outside of the Division. And I hope Bama isn't one that gets preyed upon by this Western juggernaut of a take-no-prisoners SEC.

Roll Tide!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll tell you who is probably the most nervous: SECW teams. Now that Bama can outscore you too there's got to be a lot of nervous nellies.

Matter of fact, the murmuring from the pastures in Lee county has been quiet the last few days. Since last year many of them have been growing more confident that CNS was ready to hang it up because, as they would say, "the game has passed him by."

Couple that with Kansas State slowing down the Gus Bus and now they know their offense isn't as special as they once thought and that Bama knows there is more than one way to skin a cat on offense and it doesn't necessarily involve trying to start the play before the other team and officials are ready.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.