"Perfect Game" in Saban Era

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
As we wade in to the current year and wonder how good we can be if everything comes together at one time, I started thinking about what is the "perfect game" since Coach Saban arrived. Maybe not the biggest game or victory, but the game that almost everything was clean and concise in all phases. Even though we left some points on the field, I think to the 21-0 win over LSU in the BCSNCG is that game. To not allow an opponent, any opponent, to cross the 50yd line is just crazy (yes I know they did, but wound up going back again). Obviously my pick demonstrates my love for old school defense too. Curious as to what you all think was the "perfect game"?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
First, I would say that we have yet to play a perfect game, or even a near-perfect game, on both sides of the ball for 60 minutes in the Saban era.

As far as the "most perfect" game in the Saban era, though, I think it's a tie between the NC games against LSU and ND.

Against LSU, the Defense - and Special Teams, for that matter - played about as perfectly as a unit can play and pitched a shutout. The Offense, however, left a bit to be desired and quite a few points on the field - albeit against a stellar Defense, which has to be considered.

Against ND, the Special Teams were once again excellent but the Defense gave up a few more big plays, 14 more points, and a lot more yards - albeit against a much better, more explosive Offense than LSU's from the previous year. The Offense, however, played about as perfectly as a unit can play and really could have named their score against what was considered to be an excellent Defense coming into the game. Also, if I remember correctly, some stats guys who track some very detailed Quarterback metrics for their own QB rating - much more detailed and accurately indicative of the quality of play than either the NCAA or NFL Passing Efficiency Rating - said that AJ's performance in that game garnered the highest rating they've ever seen in a College game (though, granted, they primarily analyze NFL games).

If you were to take the Defensive performance from the LSU NC game and combine that with the Offensive performance of the ND NC game - with a pick'em on Special Teams - then you would have as close to a perfect game as you could ever see, especially on the College level.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I've got to go with the ND BCS game. Notre Dame didn't see it coming and by the time they realized they were in trouble, we were up 28 points.

The 2010 game against Michigan State was pretty special after a bad iron bowl.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I've got to go with the ND BCS game. Notre Dame didn't see it coming and by the time they realized they were in trouble, we were up 28 points.

The 2010 game against Michigan State was pretty special after a bad iron bowl.
I agree with what most of you have stated. For one half, the 2008 Georgia Blackout game was about as perfect as it gets. 2nd half spoiled it a little bit.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
2009 SEC Championship against UF was pretty great. 49-0 against AU was a great first half because we may have been able to hit 80+ if we had wanted. Like others have said, Mich. St. And ND games were fantastic and looked like boys against men.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Notre dame without question. By half time Brent is asking about a mercy rule, their coach actually says they can win if Alabama doesn't come back on the field. I've never seen a collapse of a team like that, and we were something like 245 passing, 246 rushing....trash about balance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Notre dame without question. By half time Brent is asking about a mercy rule, their coach actually says they can win if Alabama doesn't come back on the field. I've never seen a collapse of a team like that, and we were something like 245 passing, 246 rushing....trash about balance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
ND brought a knife to a gun fight that night!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
NC game against ND was one of the most perfectly called/played games I have ever seen. ND was beat in the tunnel.....
I gotta go with the the BCSNG against ND. Also, ND had played and beat some pretty good opponents that year. Not to mention is was a really sweet revenge game, (for me at least).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.