Jeff Long just said the committee would take suspensions into account

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm already longing for the "good old days" of the BCS.
No you don't. There was, like, this one year where there was a team that almost made the championship when they were, in reality, the third best team. It was the worst. A bunch of bad things hypothetically could have happened.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I guess they could call it the Jameis Winston rule,unbelievable!
I think this last episode for Winston has hurt FSU more than him and could cost them in the event it's close between 4 and 5 and they happen to be on that bubble. If they lose a game they'll drop significantly and Winston fatigue will hurt them making a come back.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
It's starting to look like they will have as many reasons as needed to stray from real world results and logic to place almost any team in the playoffs without accountability. No accountability is a really bad model. Since they don't publish their votes they already solved that problem for themselves.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
We've moved from a political/hypothetical ratings system ruled by writers and papers through a part-political/part algorithm championship game to a purely politically selected playoff. Somehow, this new committee feels like a mirror of our country's political catastrophe in the making. I wonder if we'll have a college football shutdown if one playoff faction doesn't like the other? :)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This is stupid but probably won't matter. They will take the winner of the top 4 conferences not the 4 best teams. When they make their selection, I'd like to see what the BCS computers would have said.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
This is absurd. It's essentially turning it from a team sport to an individual sport. So in effect what they're saying is Team A lost because it's star player was out, but we think they would have won had he been in the game. So does this carry over to the playoffs and the championship game? If Team A loses it's star player for one of those games and as a result loses that game...shouldn't they be declared the winner anyway? We all know if Colt hadn't gotten hurt...I'm just glad this wasn't in place then.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't think anyone is really surprised, but that's absolutely horrible. So I guess that includes targeting suspensions? Even suspensions over violations of NCAA rules?

The committee and then the additional criteria is just such a horrible idea. I'm not sure they could have come up with a much worse way of doing this. Is it so hard to just rank the top teams? Do you have to poison the results with things like missing players and conference champions?
No, I doubt anyone is surprised. This committee crap was, is, and always will be stupid. No one seems to be able to explain why they (whoever they is I'm not sure) chose to use a committee instead of simply taking the top four from the BCS formula. All we can do is wait to see what happens and just hope the four teams are obvious so this committee doesn't have to start using their "criteria."

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
This is absurd. It's essentially turning it from a team sport to an individual sport. So in effect what they're saying is Team A lost because it's star player was out, but we think they would have won had he been in the game. So does this carry over to the playoffs and the championship game? If Team A loses it's star player for one of those games and as a result loses that game...shouldn't they be declared the winner anyway? We all know if Colt hadn't gotten hurt...I'm just glad this wasn't in place then.
Everyone will get a trophy like we all got after pee wee football. Because we're not supposed to think that anybody is better than anybody else.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I've tried to reserve judgement about the whole thing until the rankings are released. Details like this, and other inconsistencies, are making it hard not think it'll be a mess. Hopefully there's enough scrutiny by the media, fans, and institutions that glaringly foolish selections aren't allowed.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
This is stupid but probably won't matter. They will take the winner of the top 4 conferences not the 4 best teams. When they make their selection, I'd like to see what the BCS computers would have said.
The computers polls used in the BCS are still around. One can figure the BCS with Excel. I sure will.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So they are not going to use the game results as the absolute factor in deciding, but will instead use human imagination to figure out who would of won if so and so wasn't hurt or suspended.

Imagine this:

We use three out of four of our top running backs in any given game. If, Heaven forbid, we ever drop a game, we could declare the back we didn't use was held out because he was suspended for the game...if only he had been able to play that would have made the difference.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Aren't suspensions supposed to have a negative effect on the team, so that the individual sees that their actions affect others?
What's next, counting touchdowns that got called back because of penalties? Trying to figure out how missing out on a five star recruit set a team back? The opportunities are endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
They need to take suspensions into account! They need to suspend Pat Haden from the committee and take that into account!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.