What we learned from each game this weekend

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'd like to see a thread like this each weekend after the games going over a simple bullet format of what everyone got out of the games add far as performance, etc.

FSU-not the team they were last year. It's obvious that these guys squeak by unranked competition all year and don't look to be a real threat regardless of rank.

Auburn-is running out of luck. They seen to be relying on miracle plays or the lucky catches and turnovers every week just to get a victory against community colleges.

Ol Miss-got caught looking ahead. Score was tied for what-nearly 3 quarters? Understandable though.

Tennessee-a rising power. A QUICKLY rising power. Close losses against teams we're told will blow them out. Next year they will break top 15, maybe 10.

Georgia-better pray to gods of football that Gurley stays healthy or they won't win. I don't care about Chubb, or their other truly AWESOME freshman talent, he is the team at the end of the day.

UCLA-well guess who realized it's freaking football season and finally played like a ranked team. Talents there, but God they've been bad

Arkansas-that little RB with the predator hair made me miss Eddie Lacy in the worst way. They should be ranked before the end of the season.

TAMU-lots of holding which apparently is ok as long as you're this team. I see them losing by penalties and lack of defense if they start getting called for these ridiculous holding penalties. Their line isn't that good.

LSU-I don't knew what's going on down there with that qb situation but they don't start Harris, I think maybe it's cause les is heading north and quit caring. Harris is legit and makes lsu a team to be respected.

Notre Dame-the team that is on crash course with FSU and can finally expose them. ND is actually playing well, and if they can run the table will be a playoff team (mark my words).

I feel that in our Alabama football world, these were the teams that played this weekend that mattered.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I learned that the officials in the ACC won't let FSU lose. I learned that the SEC East was overrated at the start of the season. I learned that Arkansas won't be a pushover. I learned that Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach at Michigan. I learned that bye-weeks really make college football seem less important.

And finally, Gary Danielson is more fun to listen to when it's not your team playing.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
1. I don't think FSU will make the final 4.
2. Ole Miss has a legit defense and will be a tough out. I just hope we stay in Wallace's and Freeze's head like we have in the past.
3. Arky may be one of our toughest games and they have a bye before us but it will be strength against strength in that game. Hopefully our offense clicks on all cylinders otherwise it could be a long day.
4. Tennessee is much better than last year but they played Georgia to OT last year as well. If they get by Florida and Ole Miss I'll start to be concerned but I'm not expecting that to happen.
5. Losing Tre Mason makes AU's offense much less effective. Any team with a good run defense and an offense with a pulse should beat them handily.
6. TAMU looks very beatable. Their defense is marginally better but Hill ain't "Johnny Football".
7. LSU will have another loss or two by the time we play them and I don't consider them anywhere near our toughest out unlike prior years.

Florida is about the only East team with a defense. If they can tailor their offense to what Driskel can do and commit to the run more they could win the East.

All in all we have a tough road stretch ahead. Traditionally Bama's been a better road team than home team but we could get worn down with back-to-back, TAMU at home and back-to-back again. All against good teams. In fact our next 6 games may be the toughest we've had to deal with in a long time.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It will be very difficult to go undefeated, but it always is. As far as the original post, I don't know that I am buying into Tennessee just yet because we have heard the same old story from them for about five years now. When their young talent matures, they will be really good. Yada yada yada. FSU is playing with fire, but they still haven't lost yet. I need to see a few more games before I know much about the others.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
After watching a ton of football so far this season I honestly believe that the best three teams in the nation, at this point, are Bama, Auburn, and Oklahoma.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. FSU- They're very sloppy on offense. They're struggling to start off hot and I think it will hurt them later in the season. If this continue, you can expect some team to jump ahead of them in playoff poll, because no way with their schedule they are allowed to get in based on their performance. I'm not completely sold on them.

2. Auburn- They're struggling with their passing offense this year. Not sure what's going on with them. THeir defense is little better but still get exposed by opposing team. Look for them to to drop a game or 2 this year.

3. Texas A and M- WOW... I was expecting them to hit 50 points and the game yesterday showed us that theyre not that good as we all thought they would be.... They shouldn't be fighting Arkansas in overtime...

4. Arkansas- very impressed with them. I definitely see them suprising lot of folks this season. They're on right track. They need to work on balancing their offense and they could be a lethal team. This could be a 3 loss team. They earned my respect. We definitely will be using this film to help preparing for A and M.

5. South Carolina- Ummmmmm............ Coach called this one right.. they suck.

6. ND- They are legitimate playoff team, but we don't know how good they are given their schedule as usual, but we'll see.

Next week, we need to revisit this again, because there will be lot of poll changes next weekend...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
1. FSU- They're very sloppy on offense. They're struggling to start off hot and I think it will hurt them later in the season. If this continue, you can expect some team to jump ahead of them in playoff poll, because no way with their schedule they are allowed to get in based on their performance. I'm not completely sold on them.

2. Auburn- They're struggling with their passing offense this year. Not sure what's going on with them. THeir defense is little better but still get exposed by opposing team. Look for them to to drop a game or 2 this year.

3. Texas A and M- WOW... I was expecting them to hit 50 points and the game yesterday showed us that theyre not that good as we all thought they would be.... They shouldn't be fighting Arkansas in overtime...

4. Arkansas- very impressed with them. I definitely see them suprising lot of folks this season. They're on right track. They need to work on balancing their offense and they could be a lethal team. This could be a 3 loss team. They earned my respect. We definitely will be using this film to help preparing for A and M.

5. South Carolina- Ummmmmm............ Coach called this one right.. they suck.

6. ND- They are legitimate playoff team, but we don't know how good they are given their schedule as usual, but we'll see.

Next week, we need to revisit this again, because there will be lot of poll changes next weekend...
i think there is a pretty good chance that arky will go 0-fer in sec play again this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've seen most of the SEC top tier teams play the better part of a game or two this year with the exception of LSU and MSU.

I'll be watching both of them this weekend with an open mind...really wondering if MSU is the real deal this year. Looks like LSU may be rebuilding.

Georgia: about what I thought they'd be: pretty good...probably win the east.

UT: I think they are improving and will continue to get better. I know we hate 'em but the SEC is better when UT has a solid program. I think they are still 1-2 years from winning the east.

Barn: If they don't start running the ball better they'll lose 2-3 games in their murderer's row schedule. Their passing game seems to be struggling because the OL isn't opening up gaping holes like last year. NM is as bad a ever and this year his guys aren't as wide open as they were last year because their run game isn't the same. Barners are nervous about their play.

Arkansas: I'm really impresed with their improvement. They'll be ready for us, but we match up with them well and Kirby ought to be able to really dial some good pressure up against them. They are getting better fast though and if they stay the course they'll just be another solid west team.

TAMU: defense is bad as ever and Hill is good but isn't like a greased weasel in the pocket like JF. I think our offense will have a career day agaist them!

Ole Miss: I haven't seen them play much since their opening Thursday night game. I wasn't impressed then and, based on what I'm hearing about their play against Memphis sounds like not much has changed. But, I'll promise you, they'll come to play next week and if we let 'em stay in the game they'll be tough. Hopefully we come out and gain control of the game early and we get a couple INTs off their qb. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Stephen Garcia on us, because otherwise he is very average IMO.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I've seen most of the SEC top tier teams play the better part of a game or two this year with the exception of LSU and MSU.

I'll be watching both of them this weekend with an open mind...really wondering if MSU is the real deal this year. Looks like LSU may be rebuilding.

Georgia: about what I thought they'd be: pretty good...probably win the east.

UT: I think they are improving and will continue to get better. I know we hate 'em but the SEC is better when UT has a solid program. I think they are still 1-2 years from winning the east.

Barn: If they don't start running the ball better they'll lose 2-3 games in their murderer's row schedule. Their passing game seems to be struggling because the OL isn't opening up gaping holes like last year. NM is as bad a ever and this year his guys aren't as wide open as they were last year because their run game isn't the same. Barners are nervous about their play.

Arkansas: I'm really impresed with their improvement. They'll be ready for us, but we match up with them well and Kirby ought to be able to really dial some good pressure up against them. They are getting better fast though and if they stay the course they'll just be another solid west team.

TAMU: defense is bad as ever and Hill is good but isn't like a greased weasel in the pocket like JF. I think our offense will have a career day agaist them!

Ole Miss: I haven't seen them play much since their opening Thursday night game. I wasn't impressed then and, based on what I'm hearing about their play against Memphis sounds like not much has changed. But, I'll promise you, they'll come to play next week and if we let 'em stay in the game they'll be tough. Hopefully we come out and gain control of the game early and we get a couple INTs off their qb. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Stephen Garcia on us, because otherwise he is very average IMO.
Agree with just about everything you say here( especially the Mississippi schools)but you noticeably don't address how you think our D will handle AM's O. I respect your opinion but would like to know your thoughts on that specifically.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree with just about everything you say here( especially the Mississippi schools)but you noticeably don't address how you think our D will handle AM's O. I respect your opinion but would like to know your thoughts on that specifically.
We may have to outscore them again and I think we can. :wink:

But I feel alot more confident about slowing them down for two reasons:

1. Hill is a good passer, but he can't hurt you with his feet like JF. You had to account for JF running, but Hill doesn't pose the same threat.

2. I think our defense is better this year. Specifically, our secondary is getting better every game and if Brown and Jackson ever get on the field at the same time watch out!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We may have to outscore them again and I think we can. :wink:

But I feel alot more confident about slowing them down for two reasons:

1. Hill is a good passer, but he can't hurt you with his feet like JF. You had to account for JF running, but Hill doesn't pose the same threat.

2. I think our defense is better this year. Specifically, our secondary is getting better every game and if Brown and Jackson ever get on the field at the same time watch out!
Agree about Brown and Jackson. I really hope you're wrong about having to outscore them, but you are probably right.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
What I learned was that no team defense punishes the QB as he carries out the fake in the HUNH offenses. I watched parts of several games this week and saw the QB carry out his fake by trotting around end and no defense payed any attention to him. He is fair game if he is carrying out a fake so I believe defenses should start hitting him hard (and legal) every play. I think the QB will start making mistakes if you do this (hearing footsteps so to speak).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.