What we learned from each game this weekend

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've seen most of the SEC top tier teams play the better part of a game or two this year with the exception of LSU and MSU.

I'll be watching both of them this weekend with an open mind...really wondering if MSU is the real deal this year. Looks like LSU may be rebuilding.
People often have such preconceived notions about how the season will play out, I'm guilty of doing it myself, but it's always helpful to watch things with an open mind, and just see what happens.

Along those lines, I'm trying to train myself to watch a game where I'm not a fan of either team...just watch the game to see what happens rather than pick a favorite to root for before the kickoff.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Five things I think I know right now:

1. You need to watch Auburn play to know what they're about, because if you don't, you might think they're really good. We've had some good luck in a couple of our NC years (teams ahead of us dropping games to lesser opponents), but I've never seen the kind of IN-GAME luck Auburn has week in, week out.

2. South Carolina is very bad.

3. Tennessee is very good. Again, UGA got a little luck to beat them, and it may have cost UT the east. Yeah, I said it. I think they will beat the rest of their East opponents.

4. TAMU should have lost to Arky, and it's because Kenny Hill is no Johnny Football. Kevin Sumlin isn't the coach everyone says he is. If he were, he'd understand there is such a thing as defense. JF bailed him out a good bit.

5. We will destroy Arky and LSU.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I learned that the SEC West is going to cannibalize itself this season and it may really kick-in this weekend. I was counting on Arkansas to be the punching back in the West this year and they are anything but. Any team in the West could win the East. I can't forsee an SEC West team, including us, going unscathed through this schedule. I figure a Pac-12 team and a Big 12 team will get in (either Oklahoma or Baylor) and then an SEC West team and FSU. A loss from FSU I think would eliminate them just because the schedule isn't great and the Winston issues might give the committee reason to exclude a one loss FSU team.

The other thing I realized this weekend is that Kenny Hill, while very good, will be lucky to make it through the season. He takes way too many direct hits when he runs. Manziel was always able to avoid the direct hits and you could never get a clear shot on him. Hill has a very good arm but he isn't as fast and can't avoid linebackers and ends like Manziel could.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Auburn is not good, period. They will lose Saturday.
FSU is not good - not sure when they will lose, though, maybe ND, but I'm not sold on them either, yet.
Orange puke is still the orange puke and IMO bad play calling cost them.
The who's are still the who's, but they won't lose to OM, Bama, TAMU and the barn; they have a ton of talent and it will come together, probably Saturday.
MSU will gig the aggies; IMO they are for real, and better than OM.
I am beginning to have a dreaded fear that there may be only one team in the SEC with only one conference loss, and I am praying that it's Bama. I don't think anyone goes unbeaten.
October is going to be vellly interesting...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Maybe... Arkansas may be battling them for that. Their records in the end may not reflect it though.
Kentucky actually had players that looked like SEC players. Arkansas was a stupid trip away from probably beating A&M. They are both improving. I think the only team that has really gone backwards is Vandy, and we don't have to play them.

Kentucky actually had players that looked like SEC players. Arkansas was a stupid trip away from probably beating A&M. They are both improving. I think the only team that has really gone backwards is Vandy, and we don't have to play them.
If we did they'd be crying about it. I do agree though that UK is improved. I still think the record won't reflect it, but they have improved.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Arkansas doesn't have much, but they've learned to maximize what they have. As Con said, that stupid tripping penalty cost them a blowout win. It would have been 35-14 at that point and A&M was demoralized. But the West is just so tough. I don't see them winning more than one or two SEC games.

Texas A&M is very beatable.

Auburn won't repeat as West champions.

The SEC East champion will have 2 or 3 losses.

I still hate Florida State and will pull for their opponents the rest of the way (including Notre Dame).

Teams like Tennessee and Arkansas may be improving, but they haven't learned how to finish games. Sometimes that is the toughest part of rebuilding.

Brady Hoke is a buffoon and Michigan is in a really bad place. I could sympathize for them if I didn't hate them so much (the whole Big Ten thing - sorry, B1GTide).

I think Alabama is playing better than anyone in the country but all it takes is one off game to change that. And I'm really hoping our off game was against Florida with all the turnovers.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
  • Florida State-Despite the bad mojo the entire nation is sending this guy, he wins. Like it or not, this comeback could solidify this team. Best shot at beating them before a playoff might be in the DA's office. Flipside....play with fire long enough and you will get burned.
  • Oregon/Auburn-Quick pressure off the ends and a push up the middle stuffs this offense. Accomplishing this, though, is easier said than done and both teams will likely work on things outside of the normal bread 'n butter plays to exploit the defense all over again. Both are capable of running the table with a little luck but susceptible to teams with superior front 7's.
  • Texas A&M-This offense is scary. Reminds me of past Oregon teams in that they can score 21 points in any given 2 minute span. Miss St will be a good test for them.
  • Miss St-Might be 'fo real. I told my wife that normally when you play MSU it's like playing a bunch of ogre's. They're big, they're ugly, but generally not too bright. This year they have some ability at the skill positions. Dangerous dark horse team.
  • TennerSEE-Improved, but likely to take a downhill turn, imo. Next year, they'll be better everywhere except QB. By the time they get a QB they will have recycled the skill positions. Rebuilding in college football is a slow, incremental process. They are still a year or two away from long term, sustained success. Unless CBJ leaves. Then everything resets.
  • NutterDum-They beat a bunch of weak teams soundly. With 3 good teams on the schedule and their normal random loss I don't see them in the playoff talk in late November.
  • Oklahoma-A legit contender. Provided they don't lay an egg which CBS is prone to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.