Ohio State coach body slams idiot who ran on the field

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
You are all so mature.
I don't think it was the coaches place to body slam the idiot that ran on the field, kid was showing out having fun, no harm done. The coach will be sued along with the university and rightly so. That's why they pay for security. If it was my idiot kid and he was seriously hurt I would prolly kill his dogs.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't think it was the coaches place to body slam the idiot that ran on the field, kid was showing out having fun, no harm done.
The guy trespassed. Trespassers should be viewed as dangerous until proven otherwise. If coach let him go and he ended up hurting someone, the coach would have rightfully been skewered. I'm honestly shocked that there are people who aren't okay with the coach's actions.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Dude's just lucky it wasn't Scott Cochran that grabbed hold of him...
Scott could have just shouted at him, the blast would have pushed him off the field. :)

When I look at the still photo of the coach doing his judo flip, the vein in his neck bulging, what I wonder about is 'roid rage.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think it was the coaches place to body slam the idiot that ran on the field, kid was showing out having fun, no harm done. The coach will be sued along with the university and rightly so. That's why they pay for security. If it was my idiot kid and he was seriously hurt I would prolly kill his dogs.
I can't stand this attitude. No one should be allowed to "have fun" at the expense of others. It would be one thing if he ran out onto a field at the local park, but no, he's got to run out onto a football field in front of 100,000 people and interrupt a game on national tv to have fun. Bull crap.

If that was my kid, and he was seriously hurt, I would go to the hospital and let him know I was going to bust his rear end whenever he recovered just for good measure.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems such a simple point to concede...if the kid couldn't get up after hitting the ground because he was injured, then the coach and Ohio State would have a legal mess on their hands.

One that could have been easily avoided.
########

Edit: it seems to me this thread has devolved into the kind of sparring that's often seen on the non-sports board, with everybody determined to have the final word. I've made the points that were on my mind, and I'm not all that hung up about having the last word...so I'm going to try to let this be my last post or edit in this thread.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The fact this has turned into a serious thread instead of one making fun of the DA who got himself slammed to the turf--complete with GIFs, LSUFreak, and caption contests--makes me sad.
Many of the posters that would posts those are now gone. Instead, we get the current discussion.

A lady around here heard a knock on her door real late one night a few months back. The guy said his car broke down and asked if he could come in to use her phone. She luckily had a pistol in hand and shot him when he tried force his way in. Some of you think she should have been sued for that? After all, he was just trying to have some fun.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Google Nate Mallett. Another fellow Ohio native who decided to run drunk onto a football field during a game. This is illegal, and he spent a small fortune in court, and he was similarly body slammed - but by James Harrison. Yeah - Harrison - of the Steelers. That had to hurt.

I am glad that this kid wasn't hurt, but this is going to cost him, not Ohio State.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You'd "kill his dogs"?

Man there's just no end to maturity and well thought out responses in this thread is there?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Many of the posters that would posts those are now gone. Instead, we get the current discussion.
The best group of posters here that I remember were posting long before you signed up. At one time, Tidefans would designate a Tidefans football team, with the posters designated at different positions. It was a lot of fun.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought this was a funny story and decided to make a post about it. I had no idea this was going to turn into a urinating contest.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Google Nate Mallett. Another fellow Ohio native who decided to run drunk onto a football field during a game. This is illegal, and he spent a small fortune in court, and he was similarly body slammed - but by James Harrison. Yeah - Harrison - of the Steelers. That had to hurt.

I am glad that this kid wasn't hurt, but this is going to cost him, not Ohio State.
if I'm not mistaken, don't the tickets to most major sports events specifically say you can't go on the field. i seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

i remember a few fans getting the crap beat out of them in legion field after one of the iron bowls in the 80s, but really don't remember the year.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Okay, I feel like the whole "What if he was armed" argument is being viewed backwards. If he's armed, a coach should DEFINITELY not try to stop him. It is not a coach's job to deal with someone on the field like that. He immediately becomes both susceptible to harm by the person on the field AND liable for any harm inflicted on said person. So when everyone says "what if he had a knife," that's when he ABSOLUTELY should not be trying to tackle the guy.

To give you a corollary: If I am on the inpatient psych unit and a guy elopes, I amd instructed to NOT try to stop him/her myself. If I try, I am at risk of being harmed AND if I harm him, I'm going to lose my job for harming a patient. Trust me, my first night ever on call, I tried block an exit when a psychotic guy eloped from the unit, and I could have been seriously injured. I also would have been liable if I'd hurt him somehow. I followed the guy so we knew where he was, but it was security who had to physically restrain him. And I definitely learned my lesson. Now I don't even wear ties at work because they're a choking hazard.

Does this excuse the behavior of the guy on the field, absolutely not. But the coach made a decision which could have cost him his job. At the time, the guy was not running into people and was no longer involved in the play, and so the correct decision is to ensure player safety by getting players out of the guys way.

This isn't about morality or what the guy does or does not deserve. It's about liability and safety and legal process. It was a cowboy move that could have gotten him hurt or cost him his job and his financial security. Regardless of what you believe about our laws, they are our laws, and it is security's responsibility. If you want to harp on why security didn't get to him in time, I won't argue with that. But what the coach did was legally iffy at best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.