Ohio State coach body slams idiot who ran on the field

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Alright legal eagles, what is the lawsuit going to be? What's the cause of action? How is he going to handle the problem of contributory liability? How's he going to avoid the obvious defenses, defense of others and trespass, off the top of my head? And finally, what are his damages? The cost to get the grass stain out of his shirt? The humiliation of being handled on national television?

Yeah, we have a litigious society--in no small part because of the attitudes of some of the very people posting in this thread (everything that's wrong with America, remember?)--but in this case, the guy acted reasonably under the circumstances. He's more likely to get honored at half-time than sued, and if he does get sued, the kid should be ridiculed and criticized for the week it takes the court to throw out his case, not praised for doing the right thing.
Wrong.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Alright legal eagles, what is the lawsuit going to be? What's the cause of action? How is he going to handle the problem of contributory liability? How's he going to avoid the obvious defenses, defense of others and trespass, off the top of my head? And finally, what are his damages? The cost to get the grass stain out of his shirt? The humiliation of being handled on national television?

Yeah, we have a litigious society--in no small part because of the attitudes of some of the very people posting in this thread (everything that's wrong with America, remember?)--but in this case, the guy acted reasonably under the circumstances. He's more likely to get honored at half-time than sued, and if he does get sued, the kid should be ridiculed and criticized for the week it takes the court to throw out his case, not praised for doing the right thing.

Goodness gracious you have an aversion to production of facts...

It depends on the state, but again, there are no facts here supporting your claim.

Use of force to detain citizens is dependent on the state laws, but that primarily pertains to security personnel. For example, if a security officer tackles someone who is trying to shoplift an item and the guy dies of a subdural or epidural hematoma, that's very different than if another shopper tackles the guy or if a non-security employee tackles the guy and the guy dies. The security personnel has specific training to meet legal guidelines particularly regarding use of force issues. I haven't found the specific laws in Ohio yet, but generally if a person was killed for streaking by a coach... that would be a HUGE liability.

Granted, this guy is probably fine, and so there is not much that the school has to worry about if he doesn't have some major injury. However, if he was, there's a huge legal difference between being tackled by police vs non-police private security vs a random citizen vs an employee of the facility on which the event occurred.

Furthermore, what if this was a young adult with autism and he was tackled like that? We couldn't know based entirely on the video. It is remarkably unlikely, but these are things that must be considered when looking at liability.

I have yet to give definitive proof within the laws of the state of Ohio, because a 30 minute search did not show them, but what I'm presenting is based on a few varied articles about why security officers have training and what they are and are not allowed to do. I would be happy to defer to Earle or anyone else with specific legal knowledge about this, but really, if you can't see that there is a potential risk here, I hope you never have a career as a bouncer.

And as I've said a number of times, I don't ethically have anything against what happened... I'm just saying it was a risky choice on his part and could have had significant legal implications.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Honestly, I only have a vague memory of that poster, but in the Non Sports section of this forum he is equally revered/reviled.
He was really something. He grew up about 15 miles down the road from me, it was amazing what all that countryboy had achieved, according to him.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've had a ton of experience with them. A general observation about lawyers...when one insists he has the best understanding on any given topic...he rarely does. It's the aw-shucks humble ones that will surprise you. The ones with inflated egos are often wrong.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Problem with going to court...

As a retired LEO, I watched 'Can't loose cases' go down the drain.
I watched 'Can't win cases' be won... Go figure.

31 years of court appearances taught me going to court is a 'Crap Shoot'.
Jury decisions aren't always logical, neither are Judges decisions.

I've met good Judges, and bad.
I've met good Attorneys, and bad.

In the state of Alabama almost anyone can be taken to court, for practically anything...
(Proving their case is another matter)

(As a retired LEO I keep a great Attorney on 'Speed Dial', mostly because a Pit Bull don't fit in my phone)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/ You'll have to scroll down to the part about Ohio state. The man who ran into the field lost his scholarship.
Good.
And I liked this part:
“Those are things we’re going to look at and issues we’re going to address,” said Collins, Wunder’s attorney, when asked if the tackle by Schlegel was too hard. Of course, if his client wasn’t on the field illegally, the tackle never would’ve happened.

ghannas

Jul 11, 2014
A high percentage of strength coaches are high strung and a little too full of themselves. The fan was not a threat to anyone and the assistant strength coach was looking for attention, which is so typical. If he breaks this fan's neck, he loses his job, the University gets sued, and so on. Grab him, but don't try to be Rambo.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Also from the article Justneedme posted and GreatDanish quoted:

"Head coach Urban Meyer said he had a conversation with his assistant following the game.
“In all seriousness, I grabbed Anthony last night,” the head coach said Monday. “I appreciate him protecting our players. I would rather him not have a lawsuit if something bad would happen, you drill a guy like that."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I mulled this over last night...& concluded one side was worried the kid might get hurt, which would create problems for the school, while the other side worried the kid had a secret gun or knife and might hurt someone...

We've basically turned into a country of weenies worried about our own shadow. :conf2: :biggrin:

It's also equally obvious we had this horse beat to death by page 4 or 5, but the back and forth continued because both sides were enjoying the argument. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm going to try to bear in mind a request from a moderator to keep the sarcasm and snide comments to a minimum on the football board.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Ironic. I actually think the kid losing his scholarship was overkill.
A little more irony...Ohio State pulling his scholly suggests Ohio State wasn't concerned about a lawsuit, which supports what you've been saying. However, if the kid had been seriously injured, it would surprise me if the lawsuits were not filed, and won. I understand you don't think they would have won, but who knows for sure. If it made it past a judge and to a jury, it's a crapshoot, as someone else mentioned upstream.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This kid should not lose his scholarship. It was stupid, yeah. He should be punished, Yeah, I get that. But forfeiting $100k+ for a stupid mistake Is excessive. Especially given that some of the kids that belong on the field have probably done far worse and are still on scholarship

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I have to agree he got smoked and charged with the offense and rightfully so but taking his scholly to me is a bit much. I agree with the body slam and getting hauled off in the paddy wagon that's 'nuff.
This kid should not lose his scholarship. It was stupid, yeah. He should be punished, Yeah, I get that. But forfeiting $100k+ for a stupid mistake Is excessive. Especially given that some of the kids that belong on the field have probably done far worse and are still on scholarship

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
He's 1/4 of the way through his fourth year in probably a four-year scholarship. He is from Cincinnati, so he's getting in-state tuition. Assuming he was on full-scholarship, that's about $7,500.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If he is in his fourth year and this is an indication of how he has learned to make decisions, I would say his scholarship hasn't been worth much to him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.