Any new wrinkles to the offense this week?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Honestly, I don't think we know what's going on in Sim's head when he's at the LOS calling out the plays, and when the ball is in the hand, making reads real quick from left to right and suddenly he locks down his man that might be open the whole time he was looking at him, so.. Its not fair that we're coming down on him hard for staring down the receivers... The TV don't always show the whole field when the play is in the progress. That drives me nuts because I like to see what our WRs/DBs is doing during the progress of the play. One of the thing we have to remember is that he could be using that to his advantage, staring down his receiver, then suddenly throw to another one who is open. but this is another topic for another day.... I think we stick to what's working so far, and Its possible they will try not to open up the playbook unless its needed.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
According to the Tidefans QB guru's, on that play Blake is supposed to look off the safety who had already turned his back turned to the QB and was trying to cover for the LB that was laying in a smoldering pile of ashes on the UF sideline.

To be honest with you, their really was no reason to look off a safety on that play. Pretty obvious Florida was camping on the run/short pass in that game, very little over the top help. Perfect gameplan.

The one thing we have yet to do this year, establish a power run game , and the TE passing game that goes with it. I think it. Would. Be. Awesome if we did that just to prove they can play any style they wish. Wouldn't that be scary for Dcoordinators moving forward.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Just because it hasn't cost us yet doesn't mean we shouldn't address a potential problem. I re watched the FL game, and Blake still has a tendency to stare down receivers; on the first play from scrimmage, he was locked on to Drake from the snap. I guarantee you that Tony Connor will be taking note of where Sims is looking.
Got it. I've only seen him look a few guys off, but we have also had guys running so wide open that it is probably hard not to stare. I hope it isn't as much a problem as you have noticed because that could definitely lead to turnovers.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm working from memory, but the times we have done a QB rollout with an option for the TE to run in the flat, it seems that the defense of whomever we've played have had that covered almost every time. That could help account for the low TE receptions this season thus far.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
In the past we always did some self scouting during the bye week. I expect that this was probably done even with the body of work only being 4 games, it should still prove to benefit us as it has in previous seasons. So, yes I expect to see new wrinkles, how they take shape I have no clue.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bama go up tempo early while spreading Ole Miss out to get Coop, White, Jones, etc. in open space.

Would really like to see us bring out the diamond formation folks saw in the Spring.
I think the extra week of practice brings some interesting possibilities. I seriously doubt Alabama departs significantly from how they typically do things leading up to the Ole Miss game, but the extra week allows them to practice and emphasize some things that they might not ordinarily pay attention to.

I'd be surprised if they didn't spend part of that time practing the HUNH. I'm not a fan of it, but... it's basically the two minute drill and you have to practice that anyway. Now, you couple that with the fact that Ole Miss runs it, and Blake Sims might be better suited for it, it seems like a good time to take a step forward in terms of being prepared for it on both sides of the ball.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the extra week of practice brings some interesting possibilities. I seriously doubt Alabama departs significantly from how they typically do things leading up to the Ole Miss game, but the extra week allows them to practice and emphasize some things that they might not ordinarily pay attention to.

I'd be surprised if they didn't spend part of that time practing the HUNH. I'm not a fan of it, but... it's basically the two minute drill and you have to practice that anyway. Now, you couple that with the fact that Ole Miss runs it, and Blake Sims might be better suited for it, it seems like a good time to take a step forward in terms of being prepared for it on both sides of the ball.
Me's got-suh feeling the offense will be practicing the zone read that we botched in the UF game. For some reason I don't think we've seen the last of that little thing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Me's got-suh feeling the offense will be practicing the zone read that we botched in the UF game. For some reason I don't think we've seen the last of that little thing.
I don't think we've seen the last of the wildcat, either. Florida never respected Dee White on the sweep, and he was motioning towards Blake. There are several options with that formation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
WHO Freaking cares about him staring down the receivers? AS long he get the job done, we should be happy! It may be part of the plan, It might be something that's not hurting the team...

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
The thing about new wrinkles (other than looking older) is that the thicker your playbook is, the less reps each play gets...Often the best teams make no secret of what they're going to do on O, they just do it so well that it's hard to stop...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I would love to see us run some read option right at nkemdiche with Sims and drake.pull the guard to the linebacker and let good decision making and pure speed wear the big boy out. I think we may see Sims more utilized as a runner in this one if he is fully healthy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.