Any new wrinkles to the offense this week?

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
In past years I could pretty much tell you what plays we would run on what down or depending on the spot on the field. So far this season I've had to wait to see what would happen. This week what do you see Lane Kiffin implementing into the gameplan?

Their offense doesn't bother me any, as Bo Wallace is a one mistake leads to two more kind of QB, but their defense is as good as we will see this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ask us on Thursday... because at this point, we do not know. It's Kiffin. He bring something new to the table. I would assume with Ole Miss, we probably will go back to what worked for us in FLA game.. but look for us to establish our running game/howard to get involved little more.
In past years I could pretty much tell you what plays we would run on what down or depending on the spot on the field. So far this season I've had to wait to see what would happen. This week what do you see Lane Kiffin implementing into the gameplan?

Their offense doesn't bother me any, as Bo Wallace is a one mistake leads to two more kind of QB, but their defense is as good as we will see this year.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
There will probably be a few variations of the 2013 playbook, but I'd say we had Ole Miss' number last year when we shut them out and we should stick to that gameplan. My take is that we will start heavy with the short passes/screens and run Yeldon quite a bit. If things start going south, then the playbook will open up. Personally, I hope we have the luxury of saving a lot of plays for Auburn.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bama go up tempo early while spreading Ole Miss out to get Coop, White, Jones, etc. in open space.

Would really like to see us bring out the diamond formation folks saw in the Spring.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That diamond formation, I think it's for Auburn... I have a feeling when we get to Auburn, we'll be using lot of new plays on them.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bama go up tempo early while spreading Ole Miss out to get Coop, White, Jones, etc. in open space.

Would really like to see us bring out the diamond formation folks saw in the Spring.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I definitely think we see more of OJ....I don't see any linebacker at Ole Miss, or any team, that can cover him.

I agree last year the gameplan worked, but thats exactly what Ole Miss wants us to do is go off last year. We will see something new this week, IMO.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I distinctly remember Alabama using the diamond formation under McElwain or under Nussmeier.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The new wrinkles I'd like to see from our offense:

1. No more turnovers.
2. No more stupid pre-snap penalties
3. No more staring down the receiver
That number 3 would indicate that Sims has thrown 10 interceptions, which he hasn't. The first two make sense, but what is up with number three?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
That number 3 would indicate that Sims has thrown 10 interceptions, which he hasn't. The first two make sense, but what is up with number three?
Just because it hasn't cost us yet doesn't mean we shouldn't address a potential problem. I re watched the FL game, and Blake still has a tendency to stare down receivers; on the first play from scrimmage, he was locked on to Drake from the snap. I guarantee you that Tony Connor will be taking note of where Sims is looking.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
When you have a mismatch like Drake on a linebacker, it's okay to stare at him. He's going to get open.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
When you have a mismatch like Drake on a linebacker, it's okay to stare at him. He's going to get open.
According to the Tidefans QB guru's, on that play Blake is supposed to look off the safety who had already turned his back turned to the QB and was trying to cover for the LB that was laying in a smoldering pile of ashes on the UF sideline.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Last week I called it with saying we would see 5 wide receivers and maybe a little Wild Elephant (we saw both). This week, I would love it if Lane would mix in a little Pistol formation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last week I called it with saying we would see 5 wide receivers and maybe a little Wild Elephant (we saw both). This week, I would love it if Lane would mix in a little Pistol formation.
Bama has already run about 45 plays out of the pistol this season.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I expect something new to come out every week, but not necessarily something radical - a slow unfolding of the playbook, if you will. This may be the week our stable of tailbacks shine from the I, or it may be the week we run misdirection until they're juked from the snap. A new formation or two (I, diamond, etc.) would seem in order, and we're all waiting for the tight ends to start exploiting the flats, so there's lots of possibilities. Regardless, I don't see the mindset going away from 'pass when you can but run enough to make them lean forward'. It's working pretty well so far.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.