why we seldom schedule in-state opponents like troy/UAB/South Alabama etc...

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
I'm a UAB fan, and I'd shudder at the thought of them ever playing Alabama or Auburn (again).

It wouldn't benefit Alabama OR UAB.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Wow! Great for families, but Wow!
Makes the Meeechigan Buy 2 Cokes, get 2 tickets to the Minnesota game a Wow x 100. Obviously the beat-down they received by the Golden Gophers meant you over-paid at that promotional price...unless you were a Minnesota fan :)

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I saw several Auburn fans posting on Facebook about getting free stuff at the game and even that Boy Scouts got in free. They had to run gimmicks to put 87,000 butts in the stadium for homecoming?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
There's also a slight economic benefit to playing out-of-state opponents at BDS. Most of the FCS teams we play bring at least a few hundred fans that follow their team on the road, or embrace the novelty of playing a storied program, and they make a weekend trip of it, staying in hotels, eating out, buying tickets to the museum, doing tourist stuff, etc. if we ever hosted UAB, the visitors allotment would go to day-trippers who just came to the game and scalpers.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
personally i'm disappointed we don't play UAB annually. Sister school that boosts the interest level far above what it is for FAU or FIU or North Texas or Georgia State....

you guys say "no good can come of it"? well what good comes to giving FIU $1M when you can give it to a school that shares a lot of the same students and programs?

What good comes of Michigan State playing EMU and CMU every year? the good is that you're building some in-state interest so that MSU doesn't have to go and schedule Illinois State or Western Kentucky or some other bordering state's institution. They can keep the money and interest in their own state and still schedule a fairly simple victory where most of the kids played with, or against, a lot of the opposing team's players.

to me it's stupid to be tossing 750K at georgia state instead of UAB...

my $.02

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I don't think there is ever a good time to play UAB if you're Alabama. What is in it for Alabama? I really have a hard time figuring out why UAB has a football team. Please understand I'm not a UAB hater but it just dilutes the talent.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Just curious, but I'd love an explanation for how playing Podunk State from FL, LA, MS, or GA is somehow better for raising our profile in those states compared to playing an in-state team. The reasons I'm confused are

1. They are HOME games, so we're not leaving our state to play there. Why would recruits from Podunk State's catchment area take more notice of us than if we played UAB, etc.?

and

2. Nobody except for us die-hards is terribly interested in watching us play Podunk State anyway. Why would recruits take particular notice?

That said, I do enjoy games against Southern Miss, even if it's lopsided. Partly because no amount of beatdowns can fully make up for the frustration I felt when we've lost... but at least they're a start. ;-)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
i didn't realize that they made the jump up (or were planning to). I've heard rumblings that kennessaw state is going to add football at some point
Great baseball program like South Alabama has had for years. It still doesn't justify adding football. I'm a USA alum and I'll never be a USA football fan in that regard. Bama first always. RTR!

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
personally i'm disappointed we don't play UAB annually. Sister school that boosts the interest level far above what it is for FAU or FIU or North Texas or Georgia State....

you guys say "no good can come of it"? well what good comes to giving FIU $1M when you can give it to a school that shares a lot of the same students and programs?

What good comes of Michigan State playing EMU and CMU every year? the good is that you're building some in-state interest so that MSU doesn't have to go and schedule Illinois State or Western Kentucky or some other bordering state's institution. They can keep the money and interest in their own state and still schedule a fairly simple victory where most of the kids played with, or against, a lot of the opposing team's players.

my $.02
Careful now... you're getting close to being labeled as a UAB homer, fake fan, and welfare supporter in a long diatribe for speaking such nonsense.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I'm in the camp of UAB football can pound sand. As far as UAB, I'd like for UA to take back the Med School and cut UAB loose. That being said...

I don't see playing each other so much as a "university" thing, but as an "athletic department" thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but UA's AD has it's own budget and doesn't take taxpayer money. I imagine the AD gets it's money from ticket and merchadise sale, donations, etc. I'd also imagine not all that money comes from in state. I'd also think our AD must be making pretty good decisions about spending money since we're one of the very few programs in the black.
I don't see a reason why our AD needs to give money to UAB's AD as opposed to someone else's. If UAB is going to play a SEC team or two, I'd just as soon that they took money from MSU or Arkansas than us. Let someone else subsidize their program. Oh, but I already do, because UAB's AD takes money from the university (public funds) because their football program is a money pit.
As far as gameday, I'd imagine that other teams bring more money into town than UAB's fan(s) would when you factor hotel rooms, etc. I'd guess every one of our games helps B'ham out at least a little.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm in the camp of UAB football can pound sand. As far as UAB, I'd like for UA to take back the Med School and cut UAB loose. That being said...

I don't see playing each other so much as a "university" thing, but as an "athletic department" thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but UA's AD has it's own budget and doesn't take taxpayer money. I imagine the AD gets it's money from ticket and merchadise sale, donations, etc. I'd also imagine not all that money comes from in state. I'd also think our AD must be making pretty good decisions about spending money since we're one of the very few programs in the black.
I don't see a reason why our AD needs to give money to UAB's AD as opposed to someone else's. If UAB is going to play a SEC team or two, I'd just as soon that they took money from MSU or Arkansas than us. Let someone else subsidize their program. Oh, but I already do, because UAB's AD takes money from the university (public funds) because their football program is a money pit.
As far as gameday, I'd imagine that other teams bring more money into town than UAB's fan(s) would when you factor hotel rooms, etc. I'd guess every one of our games helps B'ham out at least a little.
Great post, especially the first part!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Since Jacksonville St is right down the road from where I live & for selfish reasons only since I'm a Gamecock Fan as well as a Bama Fan..I'd love to see Bama schedule Jacksonville St instead of Florida Atlantic or Western Carolina..Jacksonville St played Michigan St earlier this year in their season opener & would love to see us schedule them..I hate UAB & don't wanna play them, but, Jax St or S Alabama should be two instate teams we could be playing..It only helps both schools out & it schedules a patsy instead of an out of state patsy..JMO

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

my $.02
While I agree, from what I've seen, "No good can come" from this discussion. You're apparently always going to have folks spew hate with lame excuses, and that is that. Don't bother with the logic and sense-making. This is is the second time in a week it's been brought up, and the same tiresome bias and jokes for "reasons" come out of the woodwork, so there is no intelligent discussion to be had on this board. And there dang sure wouldn't on a UAB board.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
This is the most interesting point I've seen here so far. In-state games may result in more commuters and less out-of-state visitors. I can't imagine the numbers would be huge, but at least it's a decent argument for FL Podunk State.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
And, does Alabama need a game with UAB to increase interest?

Alabama had 100,306 people at the FAU game, 101,821 at the USM game. UAB had 16,133 for FIU.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548013
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548024
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=400548033

How much more "interest" is going to be sitting in Bryant-Denny spending money for UAB as opposed to FAU or USM? How many recruits are going to come to Bama because we played UAB instead of FAU? How many academic programs would we help UAB fund? None, because it would be a transfer of funds from one AD to another, in this case an antagonistic one an hour down the road.
And again, I don't know the figures and they may not be large, but every game in Bryant-Denny brings money into B'ham. Fans fly into and drive through B'ham, buy food, gas, hotel rooms, etc. UAB fans would drive down the interstate and back.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Nobody is going to win a "If it doesn't make a difference, why do it?" vs. "If it doesn't make a difference, why NOT do it?" argument. But the "why do it?" argument hasn't yet yielded a REASON to not play, seeing that there wouldn't be a drop-off economically to the school or Tuscaloosa in general. What a goofy pee-pee contest.

Definition of antagonist: "An antagonist (from Greek ἀνταγωνιστής - antagonistēs , "opponent, competitor, enemy, rival", from anti- "against" + agonizesthai "to contend for a prize,")[1] is a character, group of characters, or institution that represents the opposition against which the protagonist or protagonists must contend. In other words, an antagonist is a person or a group of people who oppose the main character(s).[2]

In the classic style of stories wherein the action consists of a hero fighting a villain/enemy, the two can be regarded as protagonist and antagonist, respectively. Of course, some narratives cast the villain in the protagonist role, with the opposing hero as the antagonist.[3]

The antagonists may also represent a major threat or obstacle to the main character by their very existence, without necessarily deliberately targeting him or her."

Poor choice of a word. Until Jesus comes, UAB will NEVER be a threat to Bama. Never. They are not a rival. They do not provide opposition, despite their "existence". But somehow, they are stuck in that inflammatory crawl space in the minds of some of our own. And for the life of me, I will never be able to figure out why. Just let it go...

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
And, does Alabama need a game with UAB to increase interest?

Alabama had 100,306 people at the FAU game, 101,821 at the USM game. UAB had 16,133 for FIU.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548013
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548024
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=400548033
I work a concession stand at every UA home game and there's no way those numbers can be accurate. There were empty seats all over the stadium for FAU and USM.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Nobody is going to win a "If it doesn't make a difference, why do it?" vs. "If it doesn't make a difference, why NOT do it?" argument. But the "why do it?" argument hasn't yet yielded a REASON to not play, seeing that there wouldn't be a drop-off economically to the school or Tuscaloosa in general. What a goofy pee-pee contest.

Definition of antagonist: "An antagonist (from Greek ἀνταγωνιστής - antagonistēs , "opponent, competitor, enemy, rival", from anti- "against" + agonizesthai "to contend for a prize,")[1] is a character, group of characters, or institution that represents the opposition against which the protagonist or protagonists must contend. In other words, an antagonist is a person or a group of people who oppose the main character(s).[2]

In the classic style of stories wherein the action consists of a hero fighting a villain/enemy, the two can be regarded as protagonist and antagonist, respectively. Of course, some narratives cast the villain in the protagonist role, with the opposing hero as the antagonist.[3]

The antagonists may also represent a major threat or obstacle to the main character by their very existence, without necessarily deliberately targeting him or her."

Poor choice of a word. Until Jesus comes, UAB will NEVER be a threat to Bama. Never. They are not a rival. They do not provide opposition, despite their "existence". But somehow, they are stuck in that inflammatory crawl space in the minds of some of our own. And for the life of me, I will never be able to figure out why. Just let it go...
Thanks, I needed a chuckle.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.