Ole Miss Game Week Practice Reports and Media Appearances

CharlestonTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 14, 2010
Me thinks this may have a lot to do with the low betting line coming out of the desert as well ... hoping this is not the case tho.
This ... watch the line. Going in, most thought Bama 10ish. Home field in the SEC west is +4. Puts Bama a two touchdown winner on neutral site. Regardless of where the line is now, if it stays the same or deceases watch out. If it moves at least 2 pts in Bama's favor Blake is fine and Bama wins by at least 10 in VH.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone see or defense playing with one less LB and adding a Perry or Williams to lessen the mismatch between our everyday LBs and UofM TE Engram? More of a 4-2-5 set.

Since they are not so much a power running team so they aren't likely pound us with one less large body in our defense.
I doubt it. if we do that, Ole Miss will smell that coming miles away.
We will most likely be in nickel or dime most of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, I agree.
That's what Bama579 was saying..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I wonder how our DL matches up with their OL. Plus they have that 300 lbs running back too.
This is an overlooked matchup (by most people) and it will probably end up mattering a lot. Ole Miss has allowed 7 sacks this year, and they are ranked 73rd in the country in rushing offense. These numbers have been generated facing the 42nd, 43rd, 82nd, and 105th ranked defenses in the country, so it's not at all like they have faced great defenses. Boise St has the best rushing defense of the 4 teams they've played at 19th, but Memphis is 50th, Vandy at 69th, and ULL at 97th. They will be facing the #5 defense in the country with the #3 rushing defense in the country.

It's safe to say that they have not they haven't seen anything like our D-line.

On the other side, their rushing defense is ranked 34th allowing 3.52 YPC. This sounds pretty solid, but they have given up those yards against the 48th, 60th, 63rd, and 108th rushing offenses in the country.

They will be facing the number #6 ranked offense in country with the #19 rushing offense in the country.

The numbers suggest that should be able to limit their running game, putting the game squarely on Wallace's shoulders, and we should be able to run the ball effectively on their defense. If that is the case, I feel very good about this game. We shall see.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
After taking a little closer look at OM's #1 ranked passing defense, they have played 3 of the absolute worst passing offenses in the country. Boise St is respectable at 31st, but Memphis is ranked 85th, ULL is 93rd, and Vandy is 115th.

Our passing defense is ranked 20th, but we faced West Virginia at #3, UF at #49, USM at #67, and FAU at #105.

Incidentally, OM's defense allowed more yards (399) to Boise's 38th ranked offense than we did to WVU's #11 (393 yards) ranked offense. WVU's offense is averaging 551 YPC, and we limited them to less than 400 yards.

I believe their defense is good, but I'm not sure if they are juggernaut people are making them out to be.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I just can't wait to LOL when we put 500+ yds of offense on them and everyone wants to suddenly backtrack on how good their defense was.

After taking a little closer look at OM's #1 ranked passing defense, they have played 3 of the absolute worst passing offenses in the country. Boise St is respectable at 31st, but Memphis is ranked 85th, ULL is 93rd, and Vandy is 115th.

Our passing defense is ranked 20th, but we faced West Virginia at #3, UF at #49, USM at #67, and FAU at #105.

Incidentally, OM's defense allowed more yards (399) to Boise's 38th ranked offense than we did to WVU's #11 (393 yards) ranked offense. WVU's offense is averaging 551 YPC, and we limited them to less than 400 yards.

I believe their defense is good, but I'm not sure if they are juggernaut people are making them out to be.
Good breakdown. I wonder why the numbers aren't being looked at more closely. I know they don't mean everything but I don't see how they keep it close. I'm sure that Blake will be ready to go.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I just can't wait to LOL when we put 500+ yds of offense on them and everyone wants to suddenly backtrack on how good their defense was.

Yep, that is when they will be billed as "overrated". All I have heard all week is...."this will tell us where Ole Miss is as a team". So basically, if we demolish them...ole Miss being good must have been a "horrible lie".

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Such is the history of Alabama football. Most all our ranked opponents are expected to upset us. That is, until we play them. Then, after the MDB plays and the fans loudly sing "Rammer Jammer", the tone of those who sung the praises of our opponent suddenly changes. From that point forward, those same folks are saying that "Of course Alabama beat them. They're not that good a team."

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`m just a natural born worrier and I guess all we can do is take CNS at his word, but I`m concerned that Blake may not be 100% by Saturday. Just a feeling.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I`m just a natural born worrier and I guess all we can do is take CNS at his word, but I`m concerned that Blake may not be 100% by Saturday. Just a feeling.
Are you equally as concerned that the coaches haven't been working with Jake Coker?
Personally, I'm hoping Blake is up to playing. However I also know for a fact that CNS isn't going to jeopardize the game by putting the entire game plan on the hopes that he is. If Blake is up to playing, great. If he's not, I'm sure Jake will be ready to take the reigns.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
It will always be how good their defense was or wasn't. It will never be that Bama was just better than another good team for some people. Some of these talking heads will be screaming that the SEC West wasn't really any good if Bama can somehow get through this meat grinder undefeated. I too have just about quit watching ESPN college football shows except for College Football Final. I don't know why but I like those guys. SEC Network is pretty balanced due to the fact that they are clearly SEC biased all the way around.

Are you equally as concerned that the coaches haven't been working with Jake Coker?
Personally, I'm hoping Blake is up to playing. However I also know for a fact that CNS isn't going to jeopardize the game by putting the entire game plan on the hopes that he is. If Blake is up to playing, great. If he's not, I'm sure Jake will be ready to take the reigns.
You know, the way Blake is playing I forgot about the Jake factor. He's more than just a good back up. That's no longer a concern now for me. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
No, of course not. I`m fully confident that the coaching staff would be working with whomever the backup QB might be. If you`re intimating that a diminished status of the starting QB should be of no or little concern, well.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It bothered me just a bit when CNS compared Blake's situation to AJ's. AJ's was much worse than generally known. I kept hearing that and then he just quit throwing downfield at all...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
It bothered me just a bit when CNS compared Blake's situation to AJ's. AJ's was much worse than generally known. I kept hearing that and then he just quit throwing downfield at all...
Yeah, didn't give me the warm and fuzzies either. Memo to Blake Sims: Slide next time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban on SEC Call: Blake Sims (shoulder) has done really well in practice & hasn't had any issues. Pleased w/ how he's improved.
Saban on facing Ole Miss's uptempo offense: We haven't faced one play of huddle all year long. This is sort of the way of the world now.
Saban on Evan Engram: He lines up in the backfield, lines up as a wide receiver. He's a difficult, mismatch guy.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.