Our talent level

shaskell

Feb 12, 2014
why is the line only 5 points? Because this game is in their stadium?

we will look back on this year and be amazed at the players we had. the 10 5 stars on the roster, which does not include derrick henry, amari cooper, eddie Jackson, guys like jarran reed who appears to be Cornelius griffin, or blake sims who is going to keep passing for 300 yards a game and rushing for 50 (a different of 60-80yds a game vs. his predecessor).

also the team apparently gets along well this year.

lastly, doug nussmeier is not currently calling the plays.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Because we recruited and would have signed about half of OM roster. Not literally, but we wanted a lot of the players that went there. They have very good individual talent, that doesn't necessarily mean a good team..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
this one is going to fall on the Defense's shoulders. Tall receivers -- we better be getting some pressure on "pretty boy" -- because if he plays "jump ball" with some of his receivers and we're in 1 on 1 -- we lose --

Landon has a HUGE game -- and Kirby calls more blitzes than he has in a while....we win going away in the second....

Good Guys - 37
Bad Guys - 16

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Ole Miss appears to have a good defense. The defense stats are impressive.
I'm not saying the Ole Miss defense is bad. I think they are pretty good, but they haven't dealt with anything like what is coming at them Saturday. Maybe they stand up to Bama and win the game, but I'm not so sure they can handle the talent Bama is bringing in. They load up and stop the run and get eaten alive by the passing game, they can rush the passer like crazy and watch Blake make alot of runs, or they can try and take away our WR's and watch the backs break off 5, 7, and 10 yard runs all day. I'm not sure anyone can stop this offense when they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
They fought us the entire game last year but just wore down. Had their coach kicked the field goals, we would have been gnawing nails well into the fourth quarter.

I still don't think Bo Wallace, even on his best day, can beat us. But when Ole Miss finds a quarterback -- and gets a couple more recruiting classes on campus -- this will be back to being a really nasty game.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not saying the Ole Miss defense is bad. I think they are pretty good, but they haven't dealt with anything like what is coming at them Saturday. Maybe they stand up to Bama and win the game, but I'm not so sure they can handle the talent Bama is bringing in. They load up and stop the run and get eaten alive by the passing game, they can rush the passer like crazy and watch Blake make alot of runs, or they can try and take away our WR's and watch the backs break off 5, 7, and 10 yard runs all day. I'm not sure anyone can stop this offense when they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.
Agreed. This isn't a situation where Ole Miss can stop "one thing" and win the game. They are going to have to stop a lot of things to win this game and I just don't think their defense has the depth to do that.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
They fought us the entire game last year but just wore down. Had their coach kicked the field goals, we would have been gnawing nails into the fourth quarter.

I still don't think Bo Wallace, even on his best day, can beat us. But when Ole Miss finds a quarterback -- and gets a couple more recruiting classes on campus -- this will be back to being a really nasty game.
I think it has been pretty nasty the last two years. Their defense has given us all we wanted as far as toughness is concerned. I think it will again be a hard hitting and nasty affair. Not only that, but as long Bo nasty Wallace has that nasty hair bouncing all over the place, it will automatically be nasty. This ole miss team can give us all we can handle, but we should beat them unless we turn it over or commit a bunch of stupid penalties. Well, so far this year we have some issues with turnovers and stupid penalties, and that is why the line is probably so low. With that said, if we play a clean game with regards to penalties and turnovers, I think we win by a few touchdowns. We will find out Saturday.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i dont think we can really count last year. Last year we struggled on offense at times. The playcalling was interesting and our OL wasn't moving the ball well. This is new team, with new QBs, new leaders on both side. Both have lot to prove this year.... i dont think Ole miss really realizes what they got themsleves into... Our Cbs job is to limit big plays put them in 3rd 7 and longer situations where we can make it happen. Oh, we have new coordinator, his name is Lane Kiffin. He knows what he's looking for in Ole Miss...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
why is the line only 5 points? Because this game is in their stadium?

we will look back on this year and be amazed at the players we had. the 10 5 stars on the roster, which does not include derrick henry, amari cooper, eddie Jackson, guys like jarran reed who appears to be Cornelius griffin, or blake sims who is going to keep passing for 300 yards a game and rushing for 50 (a different of 60-80yds a game vs. his predecessor).

also the team apparently gets along well this year.

lastly, doug nussmeier is not currently calling the plays.
I think folks get too fixated on how many stars a player had coming in. My understanding of the star ratings, (which could be wrong), has more to do with how close to college ready a player is rather than just his talent level.

You can have 2, 3 or 4 star athletes that may need a little coaching or a little more muscle to compete at the college level.

All that being said I do think we have a talent advantage overall but I would be surprised if Ole Miss doesn't give us all we want and then some.

They fought us the entire game last year but just wore down. Had their coach kicked the field goals, we would have been gnawing nails well into the fourth quarter.

They've had two QBs both named manning. It's not going to happen. The 2009 bunch was better than this one and they got all of 9 yards in the first half against Bama.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I attended the ole miss game last year at BDS and was very underwhelmed by Bo Wallace and for that matter their entire team. I'm on record as saying that I do not believe we have the best team in the country right now and I stand by that, but I also think there is still a huge disparity between our team and ole miss, especially when it comes to talent. If we even come close to losing this game then we have much bigger problems than any of us realize. Bama should win this game big.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
CHF did as much last year to coach his team out of a win as any coach I have ever seen. His coaching acumen is not on the level of Malzahn. I wished that Jess would also evaluate coaching as part of his break down because it almost seems as if it just comes down to who has the better players. I think our coaches are at least good for a touchdown or more against this staff.

CHF did as much last year to coach his team out of a win as any coach I have ever seen. His coaching acumen is not on the level of Malzahn. I wished that Jess would also evaluate coaching as part of his break down because it almost seems as if it just comes down to who has the better players. I think our coaches are at least good for a touchdown or more against this staff.
He used to, if my memory serves me right.

punchdrunkpanic

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2006
Columbus, OH
dmybama.wordpress.com
I don't get the Ole Miss hype. Yes, obviously their overall talent level is higher than in years past and they are playing at home, but last time I checked, this is a program that has done nothing.

A few years ago they were a sexy top 10 pick when Jevan Snead was their qb and they fell flat on their face.

Last time I checked, Bo Wallace is still their quarterback, not Eli Manning and their coach is the coach from The Blind Side. Hugh Freeze has proven recruiting prowess, but I don't believe in their game coaching or player development.

While their D is solid, I fail to see this Ole Miss team beating Alabama unless Alabama decides to fumble the ball away multiple times and have 10 penalties.

So until the fighting Admiral Ackbars actually win a game like this in the modern era you can color me a skeptic.

Here's to hoping that it doesn't begin on Saturday.

I don't get the Ole Miss hype. Yes, obviously their overall talent level is higher than in years past and they are playing at home, but last time I checked, this is a program that has done nothing.

A few years ago they were a sexy top 10 pick when Jevan Snead was their qb and they fell flat on their face.

Last time I checked, Bo Wallace is still their quarterback, not Eli Manning and their coach is the coach from The Blind Side. Hugh Freeze has proven recruiting prowess, but I don't believe in their game coaching or player development.

While their D is solid, I fail to see this Ole Miss team beating Alabama unless Alabama decides to fumble the ball away multiple times and have 10 penalties.

So until the fighting Admiral Ackbars actually win a game like this in the modern era you can color me a skeptic.

Here's to hoping that it doesn't begin on Saturday.
That was the 2009 team. Their offense was good and so was their defense. We held them to 9 total yards in the first half. Final score was 22-3. That team would up beating a pretty good LSU team, with some clock mismanagement help from ole Lester!

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Any time a mid-level power has a couple of recruiting classes like they've had everyone is waiting to see if that translates on to the field and, so far this year against weaker opponents, it looks like maybe it has. And UM has a realistic shot at winning the game. It's not like they're Ga Southern. Beating Alabama, however, will require depth and coaching as well and maybe even a little luck. It is within their reach.

Of course there's the Alabama hate crowd....but also the underdog crowd. When we look at the PAC we might think that Arizona beating Oregon would be nothing more than an interesting development. I bet the Oregon people would feel differently, though, lol. Same thing here. The rest of the country would be willing to pull for the underdog. We, of course, take it as a slap in the face.

If UM can make this a track meet, we could have issues. If we come out throwing and don't have success and they are able to score then we may end up putting the game on Blake's shoulders and we don't how well he'll handle that yet. In years past we would just slow the game down, pound the backs all day, and win the war of attrition. With our new commitment to the pass and a quicker tempo, we open the door a shootout which works in favor of UM.

That's my .02

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.