JessN: Ole Miss preview: Bama will find out whether Rebels are for real

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
"Supposedly" is the best definition I've seen for their defense. As I stated in another thread, the best offense they've faced is Boise State (ranked 83rd in scoring) and Memphis (ranked 52nd in scoring thanks to running up 63 points on a horrible Austin Peay team that gave up 63 to another FCS team and is 0-4 - otherwise they'd be averaging 19.3 points per game on offense as 16 points this year have come from Memphis' defense). No, all the offenses we've played have hardly been world beaters, but WV would have an even higher ranked offense if not for us, and they already rank 20+ spots above all of Ole Miss' opponents. Despite this, Ole Miss is surrendering less than 2 yards less than us per game.

Anyway, my point is that Ole Miss has feasted on truly sub-par offenses, while we've played at least one offense light years above anything they've faced (West Virginia) and only gave up 16 to their offense.
Agreed. The experts are asking the wrong question in my opinion. Rather than asking how's Alabama's offense is going to do against Ole Miss' defense. I think the better and correct question should be "How's Ole Miss' untested defense going to do against Alabama's offense?" That, IMO, is the more accurate question.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed. The experts are asking the wrong question in my opinion. Rather than asking how's Alabama's offense is going to do against Ole Miss' defense. I think the better and correct question should be "How's Ole Miss' untested defense going to do against Alabama's offense?" That, IMO, is the more accurate question.
To be fair, West Virginia is the best defense we've faced, and they're ranked #77.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
To be fair, West Virginia is the best defense we've faced, and they're ranked #77.
It depends on how one chooses to look at it. Ole Miss hasn't played any offensive juggernauts either. Yet for some reason they're being given the benefit of the doubt and anointed of having a stout defense. Yet when it comes to Bama, even though this team is LOADED with offensive skill players, an above average OL and a QB that has passed all the tests up to this point. We're not given the same treatment. There are still "question marks" looming around our offense. I have a hard time buying that.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I agree. It's like Alabama's offense does exactly what the media said it can't do - use a mobile QB, spread people out, sling the ball all over the yard, run up yards and points in bunches - and they still don't get as much respect as they deserve. I don't know what else our guys have to do on offense for people (i.e. "experts") to take notice. If they skulldrag the Ole Mi$$ defense similar to what they did to Florida, it'll be interesting to see what the reaction is. Here's my prediction: "Well, the Rebs defense was obviously overrated". If our players are stewing as much as I am about the lack of recognition/respect, watch out....

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
The answer to that is MAYBE.

Florida has a ton of talent on defense, and we made it look silly. That doesn't mean that their defense now sucks; and UK only managed 30 points because it went into triple OT - they had 20 in regulation, and aside from a weird third quarter only had 6 points all game.

Florida's stats hurt because they have one less game, so the absurd numbers we put up on them don't get spread out among as many games. Keep in mind, we might just be THAT good - for all we know, Florida could end up with a top 10 defense this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.