JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Ole Miss preview: Bama will find out whether Rebels are for real
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 29th, 2014 08:40 PM

A quick glance at defensive statistics this season would seem to suggest that no, Ole Miss’ 2013 defensive improvement was not a mirage. The Rebels have put up impressive numbers through the first third of the 2014 season, and the confidence gained from their performance have […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Great read. I was surprised at the QB edge going to Ole miss.

I would say that even a slightly injured Blake has the edge over a healthy Bo. Bo may have more experience...but it seems Blake has the better mental aspect and calmness.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Still worried about our secondary in this game. UF had open WRs all night. Was much more noticeable at the game vs when I watched the replay.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have Alabama winning every category, but every one being very close. I tend to agree with the final score. I see this as a defensive struggle, with Alabama's depth being the biggest difference. Yes, you are less experienced all over the place - but you are much more talented.

The biggest unknown is how the turnover margin will play out. Given Bo's propensity for throwing picks, I think that Alabama will come out on top in the category this week. If not, Mississippi is good enough to make Alabama pay in their building.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Do the three known DBs who will be out for Ole Miss contribute at all? I fail to see how they can be down 3 reserves and a possible starter and still take the category. Are they that deep and talented?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just think Ole Miss will struggle more to score than we will. It's not like their offense has torn it up this season. For the most part they've struggled and stumbled through games only to score a few td's in the latter parts of the game to make the score look worse than than the game actually was. At this stage in his career Bo Wallace is who he is and I doubt we'll see a "Stephen Garcia" performance. He just can't help himself from throwing picks. He's the college version of Brett Favre (bad Brett, not good Brett). You can go ahead and write down 1- 2 int's on his score card before the game is even played. It will happen.

Also, like I've stated before, as good as their defense supposedly is, I just don't think they're equipped to stop all the moving parts this year's version of Bama's offense can throw at them.

Last edited:

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
For this first time I disagree with Jess, politely of course.

I just think Bo is Bo and one mistake leads to two more. He's always been that way.

I think our WR core is more proven than Ole Miss. Amari is far and away the best on the field. I think outside of treadwell Ole Miss is potential instead of production.

Their secondary is rated so high due to playing a bunch of cupcakes, while our defense has played one of the best passing attacks in the country in WVU.

I hope the media perceives Miss as all powerful because I think we blow them out, 37-13.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The analysis is put together well. I happen to believe the pass rush Alabama has added this year will swing the QB and defense categories in our favor. If they score a TD, it will be on a quick throw in blown secondary coverage. Appreciate your writing as always.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Their DB/KR Alford has apparently left the team to pursue a professional baseball career, per a University of Mississippi press release. If I were them, I'd start to worry about depth back there -- that's three unavailable, Alford gone, and Golson perhaps limited....

YellowhammerLA

3rd Team
Jan 14, 2007
As always, Jess, great analysis.

After re-watching the game from last season, I can't help but think that even in hostile territory, this offense has better odds of being productive than last year's unit. Weapons everywhere, with no Nussmeier to neuter it.

Our offense has taken greater leaps than their defense has.

They will score this year. We will just score way, way more.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
my outlook for this game, is that the biggest key to our rushing success is ole miss middle guard, the next all American from there. cant spell his name, but, he is a horse. I still don't think our guards and center are physical enough to open holes inside the tackles. hopefully Jackson will play and make a difference. I sure hope when Kelly is gone we have a stud at center that can clear the defense. as for statistics, I really cant believe how much stock is put into the first 3 or 4 games. even though Alabama played two major patsies, they did beat a good west va team, and probably a better team in fla compared to Memphis.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
my outlook for this game, is that the biggest key to our rushing success is ole miss middle guard, the next all American from there. cant spell his name, but, he is a horse. I still don't think our guards and center are physical enough to open holes inside the tackles. hopefully Jackson will play and make a difference. I sure hope when Kelly is gone we have a stud at center that can clear the defense. as for statistics, I really cant believe how much stock is put into the first 3 or 4 games. even though Alabama played two major patsies, they did beat a good west va team, and probably a better team in fla compared to Memphis.
I'm not worried about the inside running game because if it's not there early we'll probably just spread Ole Miss out and start loosening up the middle by passing. That's the good thing about being able to sling the ball around. If the other team wants to stop it they have to weaken the defense in other areas.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Jess, in your view, how are we fairing with A'shawn at the nose? I remember at point you commented he seemed more effective at end. Is that still the case or has he improved playing NT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I just think Ole Miss will struggle more to score than we will. It's not like their offense has torn it up this season. For the most part they've struggled and stumbled through games only to score a few td's in the latter parts of the game to make the score look worse than than the game actually was. At this stage in his career Bo Wallace is who he is and I doubt we'll see a "Stephen Garcia" performance. He just can't help himself from throwing picks. He's the college version of Brett Favre (bad Brett, not good Brett). You can go ahead and write down 1- 2 int's on his score card before the game is even played. It will happen.

Also, like I've stated before, as good as their defense supposedly is, I just don't think they're equipped to stop all the moving parts this year's version of Bama's offense can throw at them.
This x10

If BW plays like BW Bama will win...by a lot. He will have to have, as you referenced, a Garcia game of his life. I wouldn't bet on that. In fact our defense is better and their offense is worse than last year. How people are picking OM to win is baffling to me.

kapeman

Dec 13, 2011
The analysis is put together well. I happen to believe the pass rush Alabama has added this year will swing the QB and defense categories in our favor. If they score a TD, it will be on a quick throw in blown secondary coverage. Appreciate your writing as always.
FWIW, I agree.

Due to the ability to apply pressure with the front 3/4, this year's defense is much better equipped to handle a HUNH offense than last year's squad and we had no trouble with Ole Miss last year.

I also think we will take the restrictor plate off the running game and pound them up the middle.

Last edited:

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

"Supposedly" is the best definition I've seen for their defense. As I stated in another thread, the best offense they've faced is Boise State (ranked 83rd in scoring) and Memphis (ranked 52nd in scoring thanks to running up 63 points on a horrible Austin Peay team that gave up 63 to another FCS team and is 0-4 - otherwise they'd be averaging 19.3 points per game on offense as 16 points this year have come from Memphis' defense). No, all the offenses we've played have hardly been world beaters, but WV would have an even higher ranked offense if not for us, and they already rank 20+ spots above all of Ole Miss' opponents. Despite this, Ole Miss is surrendering less than 2 yards less than us per game.

Anyway, my point is that Ole Miss has feasted on truly sub-par offenses, while we've played at least one offense light years above anything they've faced (West Virginia) and only gave up 16 to their offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.