I don't think there's any chance Hoke can survive 'The Shane Morris Incident'...

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA
The Michigan athletic department is a clown show right now, and it starts at the top. The program desperately needs a fresh start. As a Michigan alum, I'm all in favor of cleaning house and starting over.

As to B1GTide's comment that Brady doesn't have a history of this, it's sad to say, but I think you could argue now that there is a pattern. Going back to his days at Ball State, he had a player get frostbite while performing a disciplinary workout (link). Last year he sent Gardner out with broken bones in his foot against Ohio State (Gardner was amazing in that game, by the way). And he appears to be actively trying to kill Devin Funchess's pro potential this year by playing him with a lower leg injury. Frustratingly, Funchess got injured at the end of the Notre Dame debacle, after it was clear that Hoke had given up trying to win. I've had enough.

So, yes, Hoke is done, and Dave Brandon, the AD, has to be gone, too. As for replacement candidates, the Michigan folks are fixated on landing one of the Harbaughs, who both have ties to the program. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but landing one of them is certainly unlikely. And beyond them, there aren't that many slam-dunk candidates this year, which Florida will also be dealing with.

To circle back to the actual topic of this forum, I'm of the opinion that Jim McElwain could be a good fit in Ann Arbor. We'll see.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As if UM's on-field performance wasn't enough to warrant letting him go, now this?

Wow. Gotta be tough being a Wolverine fan right now! Good news is they're a titan, and should be able to find a good coach and get back on their feet and competing sooner rather than later.
Yet, having hired Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke, they haven't had the success they had under Lloyd Carr.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Before we start firing up the pitchforks, didn't we play Greg McElroy in the Florida game during the season with a concussion?

Glass houses and stuff,

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Before we start firing up the pitchforks, didn't we play Greg McElroy in the Florida game during the season with a concussion?

Glass houses and stuff,
I'm assuming that since you're asking the question re: GM, you don't actually recall or know the story as it played out. Completely different situation, but feel free to continue with the platitudes...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My question is, why wasn't Hoke overridden by sports medicine and/or other medical personnel that had to have been on the sidelines? I thought that they are the ones, not the HC, that have final say on a player's medical fitness to be able to play or not.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
If the football program isn't set up to watch for that, that's on the HC and the AD. I watched that game and saw that hit. (FWIW, I think it could have been used as a textbook example of targeting, unless you're a B1G ref.) The QB had to be held up by a teammate. Nobody saw that who gets a paycheck for Michigan? I agree with the TV announcers who were outraged.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Either of the Harbaughs would be a hard pull. Does McIlwain have the credentials for the UM job? Is Miles even a remote possibility? Going to be an interesting search since UM will be competing head to head with UF.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have a hard time seeing him as a villain, even though I have never met him. But I can see him being too ignorant to realize the seriousness of the situation. He's looked lost this year.

I agree he should be fired.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
First of all, lots of blame to go around:

1) The refs have a responsibility to take an injured kid out at least a play, especially on head shots. This is especially true now with the concussion awareness going around the country. I never saw the umpire or the head ref check on the QB after the malicious hit and him stumbling around.

2) There is no way that any member of the medical staff did a complete concussion check in that short amount of time. They needed to sit him down, ask him lots of questions (like say these numbers backwards 1, 2, 5, 9, who are you playing, where are you?, then do the eye check, see if he has headache, and finally motor tests).

3) I've never seen an entire sideline so unprepared.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My question is, why wasn't Hoke overridden by sports medicine and/or other medical personnel that had to have been on the sidelines? I thought that they are the ones, not the HC, that have final say on a player's medical fitness to be able to play or not.
That is what was supposed to happen. Somehow they left him alone on the bench WITH HIS HELMET. If they believed that he had suffered a concussion, they are supposed to take away his helmet - removing the possibility that he might put himself back in the game if the opportunity arose - and then make the head coach and offensive coordinators aware that he was no longer available in that game. None of that happened. How does a breakdown like that occur in this era of football?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
3) I've never seen an entire sideline so unprepared.
This has been Michigan's problem since hiring Hoke. Would love to get a candid off the record answer from Coach Nuss about the differences between last year and this. Can you imagine going from Saban's program to Hoke's?

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I'm assuming that since you're asking the question re: GM, you don't actually recall or know the story as it played out. Completely different situation, but feel free to continue with the platitudes...
If I remember about McElroy, that he was acting strange and that no one knew he had a concussion but the strange behavior should have keyed them in. My point CA is we should give them the benefit of the doubt just like we would want Saban to have the benefit of the doubt. Now if someone said something to the coach and he played him anyway that is a whole other story. And I don't understand why his teammates didn't take him over to the medical staff after he stumbled around like he did. I can see the coach being unaware because he has several things going on simultaneously but again if he was aware, then shame on him and disregard my post.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Never let a good crisis go to waste. He's just using all of this manufactured outrage as an excuse to fire Hoke...
He may also be setting things up to try to fire him "with cause", which could void a buy-out. Or, at least enhance their bargaining power when negotiating a reduced buy-out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.