I don't think there's any chance Hoke can survive 'The Shane Morris Incident'...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
First of all, lots of blame to go around:

1) The refs have a responsibility to take an injured kid out at least a play, especially on head shots. This is especially true now with the concussion awareness going around the country. I never saw the umpire or the head ref check on the QB after the malicious hit and him stumbling around.

2) There is no way that any member of the medical staff did a complete concussion check in that short amount of time. They needed to sit him down, ask him lots of questions (like say these numbers backwards 1, 2, 5, 9, who are you playing, where are you?, then do the eye check, see if he has headache, and finally motor tests).

3) I've never seen an entire sideline so unprepared.
I was wondering why the refs didn't stop play and have him evaluated. Do the refs not have this authority? If not, then why not? They should.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Either of the Harbaughs would be a hard pull. Does McIlwain have the credentials for the UM job? Is Miles even a remote possibility? Going to be an interesting search since UM will be competing head to head with UF.
I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Miles take the job this time. If the story hadn't gotten leaked right before LSU played for the 2007 NC, I think he'd have taken the job then. LSU is an infinitely better job, but Miles is a UM alum. This will be his last shot at the job if he has any desire to get it. Coming home and being your alma mater's savior is a hard thing to pass up. Coach Bryant saw that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This has been Michigan's problem since hiring Hoke. Would love to get a candid off the record answer from Coach Nuss about the differences between last year and this. Can you imagine going from Saban's program to Hoke's?
He's getting to run his offense at Michigan. He seemed happy about that when he had his introductory press conference. That might be the only thing he's enjoying right now.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Hoke has royally screwed himself over. His determination to salvage his job at any cost has now guaranteed that his job is lost, and he has virtually made himself unemployable anywhere else. No team is going to hire a head coach who has so little regard for his players health and safety, especially in an Era where concussions are such a hot topic. His best chance to resign his position and take a job as an analyst somewhere until this blows over.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Miles take the job this time. If the story hadn't gotten leaked right before LSU played for the 2007 NC, I think he'd have taken the job then. LSU is an infinitely better job, but Miles is a UM alum. This will be his last shot at the job if he has any desire to get it. Coming home and being your alma mater's savior is a hard thing to pass up. Coach Bryant saw that.
The word out here is that he had an agreement in principle with UM, but it had to wait until after the season was over. Word leaked out by someone on the UM side and Miles killed it. Both sides agreed to just pretend that none of that ever happened.

Was that true? Who knows? But it was spoken of as fact for quite a while thereafter.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Hoke has royally screwed himself over. His determination to salvage his job at any cost has now guaranteed that his job is lost, and he has virtually made himself unemployable anywhere else. No team is going to hire a head coach who has so little regard for his players health and safety, especially in an Era where concussions are such a hot topic. His best chance to resign his position and take a job as an analyst somewhere until this blows over.
I don't see Hoke getting much interest as an analyst. His communication skills are a more than a little lacking, IMO.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Probably icing on the proverbial cake at this point. That last loss was another layer of icing. I think it is clear the direction of the program is headed the wrong way so his days are numbered.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
The deal breaker would be if they have real grass or artificial turf. Pretty difficult for 'ole Les to chew on the plastic grass.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I'm having a tough time separating fact from fiction in this story. Does the guy actually have a concussion? The closest I can find is the ESPN article that "the team neurologist noticed the symptoms of a concussion", but he didn't take any action that is mentioned. The MGOBlog hatchet piece avoids the subject entirely. Just based on the film, I don't know that this would even be a story without the talking heads playing it up on air.

That said, I always thought Billy Bob Thornton got a raw deal in Friday Night Lights. Looks like Hoke is toast...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If I remember about McElroy, that he was acting strange and that no one knew he had a concussion but the strange behavior should have keyed them in.
No, they had no idea - GM showed no symptoms until he started calling the wrong plays in the 4th quarter, which is when the staff pulled him.

My point CA is we should give them the benefit of the doubt just like we would want Saban to have the benefit of the doubt.
I'd not give CNS a pass on this, either, if a teammate had to hold him up and he looked like he was completely out of it, as this quite kid obviously appeared. It's Hoke's job to have thing sin place to protect the players in specifically this type of situation and he failed massively.

IOW, it's obvious that Hoke is retuning a comically bad operation there, this is simply another symptom - but one that could have had devastating consequences.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Well reports out of 49ers camp is Jim Harbaugh has lost the locker room. This after their win over the Eagles. Don't be surprised if JH ends up in Ann Arbor, unless Les beats him to the punch.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Well reports out of 49ers camp is Jim Harbaugh has lost the locker room. This after their win over the Eagles. Don't be surprised if JH ends up in Ann Arbor, unless Les beats him to the punch.
Oh, please let the 49ers chase away a coach that took over a 6-10 team whose worst season to date is debatable between 11-4-1 with a Super Bowl appearance and a 12-4 team that lost to the Super Bowl Champions in the NFC Championship - a team that also started 1-2.
Harbaugh would be in the playoff in year 2 - possibly in year 1.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Harbaugh ain't going to Michigan. He may go to Miami (or Oakland) or another pro team if he leaves SF for any reason, but he ain't going back to Ann Arbor. Or any college. JMO.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering why the refs didn't stop play and have him evaluated. Do the refs not have this authority? If not, then why not? They should.
The Michigan QB had been hobbling around for quite a few plays before he took the hit causing the concussion. It seems obvious to me that one might continue to attribute his wobbliness to his injured leg/ankle.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If he had a bum ankle, he did not need to be in the game, especially once it was a blowout.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'll always believe that Nuss was given the opportunity by CNS to go get a payday. Nuss leaving here on his own accord never made any sense. It's no secret that CNS that was not happy with Nuss' playcalling at times, and I think CNS wanted to hire Kiffin when he became available. It just felt like when Applewhite "left" to go be Texas' QB coach.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.