I don't think there's any chance Hoke can survive 'The Shane Morris Incident'...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
When the University president has to apologize to the kid and his family.-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24732115/michigan-president-latest-to-apologize-for-handling-of-morris-injury

University of Michigan president Mark Schlissel has become the latest Wolverines official to apologize for the football program's handling of quarterback Shane Morris after he suffered what athletic director Dave Brandon termed a "probable, mild concussion" against Minnesota on Saturday.

"Despite having one of the finest levels of team medical expertise in the country, our system failed on Saturday," Schlissel said in a statement. "We did not get this right and for this I apologize to Shane, his family, his teammates and the entire Michigan family. It is a critical lesson to us about how vigilant and disciplined we must always be to ensure student-athlete safety."

And then a Congressman gets involved

U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) asked the Big Ten Conference and commissioner Jim Delany to investigate the circumstances that led to Morris' return to the field. Pascrell is the co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Brain Injury Task Force.

"Allowing a possibly concussed player to determine whether or not he is fit to return to play not only violates common sense, but is also an egregious violation of standard concussion protocol, including protocol set forth by the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference," Rep. Pascrell wrote in a letter to Delany. "I strongly urge you to investigate the circumstances surrounding Shane Morris's injury and the decision to return him to play. Additionally, I ask that you reexamine the protocols in place and determine what changes can be made to improve them. I also urge you to establish penalties for violations of concussion protocols. Every concussion is brain damage and must be diagnosed and treated by appropriate medical personnel, who prioritize players' health, safety, and well-being."
Someone, if not everyone will lose their job!!!!!

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Just answer one question for me: Who is responsible for everything in regards to the University of Michigan football program?
Let me clarify. Sure the head coach assumes all ultimate responsibility for the the team and program. However, I think everyone is pointing at the HC because he is the obvious and easy answer. But when the facts are put on the table its not a HC's job to monitor players in game health and make sure they are fit to play. He has people on his staff whos sole job is to do just that and communicate their status to him. Hence the fact he still was not made aware two days later. Does the HC take the ax sometimes for things out of his control? Yep all the time. Was this incident Hoke's fault? Not in my opinion. He is making all kinds of decisions during a game. And can not watch every player on the field each play. He is watching the whole play normally.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Let me clarify. Sure the head coach assumes all ultimate responsibility for the the team and program. However, I think everyone is pointing at the HC because he is the obvious and easy answer. But when the facts are put on the table its not a HC's job to monitor players in game health and make sure they are fit to play. He has people on his staff whos sole job is to do just that and communicate their status to him. Hence the fact he still was not made aware two days later. Does the HC take the ax sometimes for things out of his control? Yep all the time. Was this incident Hoke's fault? Not in my opinion. He is making all kinds of decisions during a game. And can not watch every player on the field each play. He is watching the whole play normally.
It all begins at the top. The buck stops here. The head guy sets the tone. He creates the culture. He is responsible for putting everything and everyone in place to get the results he demands. If something did not happen it is because he didn't make it happen. He did not set the expectations or did not hold people accountable when they failed to do what he demanded - if he demanded it in the first place. Sorry, but this kind of ineptitude is symptomatic of a systemic deficiency and nit an isolated event. There were multiple failures on multiple levels - and that points to the system and the man in charge of the system. And that man bears ultimate responsibility. He should be held accountable. I believe he will be. I'd be terribly surprised if he lasts beyond Sunday. He may not last that long.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The fans wanted Fran gone. When the "Friday with Fran" newsletter scandal came out -- it was just the ticket to let him go! Yes, this ticket is punched and Hoke is done.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I have to disagree with those who think he will be fired in the short term for this. He very well may be. But it will not be because of his actions or in actions. It will be because of the increasing public opinion and that pressure not what happened on the field. I think this country is walking a fine line when it comes to constantly buckling to public opinion and choosing to fire people left and right. I believe in being accountable for your actions but people are out for blood today and every offense is solved by just saying to fire someone. We are putting way too much power in the hands of who screams the loudest. Thats very dangerous IMO.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have to disagree with those who think he will be fired in the short term for this. He very well may be. But it will not be because of his actions or in actions. It will be because of the increasing public opinion and that pressure not what happened on the field. I think this country is walking a fine line when it comes to constantly buckling to public opinion and choosing to fire people left and right. I believe in being accountable for your actions but people are out for blood today and every offense is solved by just saying to fire someone. We are putting way too much power in the hands of who screams the loudest. Thats very dangerous IMO.
Truer words were never spoken. We live in a PC world. Right and wrong takes a back seat to Public Opinion. That is not a question any longer. The question is whether we agree with the PC.

And yes, I agree that Hoke should be fired. Just because I agree with PC doesn't mean it is a good thing for PC to rule the roost -- it is not.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Truer words were never spoken. We live in a PC world. Right and wrong takes a back seat to Public Opinion. That is not a question any longer. The question is whether we agree with the PC.

And yes, I agree that Hoke should be fired. Just because I agree with PC doesn't mean it is a good thing for PC to rule the roost -- it is not.
I agree. He won't be fired because it's the right thing to do - even though I believe it is the right thing to do. He will be fired because of the public outcry. This says less about the PC nature of our culture than it does a lack of a grounding in firm ethics and integrity as well as a lack of good leadership.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. - Talking Heads

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I think the furor coming from UM is a symptom, not the disease itself. I think there's a significant portion of the Michigan fan base that wants Hoke gone, and they're using every tool at their disposal to stir the pot. You really have to give them credit: they're much better at this that the Springdale Mafia ever dreamed of being.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Sometimes when people in position to the right thing lack the courage or are unwilling to do so, it becomes necessary for the public to demand something be done. The prospect of them losing their position helps them "see the light" so to speak. If Hoke is then fired, yes it will be because of his actions or lack thereof. Our right to speak out or protest is part of what keeps us free.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Sometimes when people in position to the right thing lack the courage or are unwilling to do so, it becomes necessary for the public to demand something be done. The prospect of them losing their position helps them "see the light" so to speak. If Hoke is then fired, yes it will be because of his actions or lack thereof. Our right to speak out or protest is part of what keeps us free.
I never said it was not ok to voice anyones opinion. However, calling for a coach to be fired for something someone on his staff blew for the first time as far as we know. Is typical quick to judge public hanging. Everyone is looking for a head to roll for anything these days. At what point do we educate, train and communicate anymore with people to make them better and learn from their mistakes in a positive way. This use to be the American way. Now its if your not a Saint your fired, end of story. Its pretty sad and depressing to think no one has any room for mistakes anymore.

Its would be like firing the Ceo everytime one of his department heads screws up. He is ultimately responsible so he should be fired today!!! Thats public perception these days. Because all it takes anymore is one loud voice, one agenda driven group to get anyone fired. Yell, scream, threaten boycotts, etc. and you get someone fired. No one is perfect and all will both sin and make mistakes. But yet we all could fall victim to a screaming crowd who is over reacting without all or sometimes any of the facts.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
calling for a coach to be fired for something someone on his staff blew for the first time as far as we know.
This coach is already on thin ice as his team looks awful.

Combine that with what is obviously a massive systemic failure regarding planning on dealing with the reality of serious neurological injury and you have a powder keg. I'm not sure if this is a reflection on a hyper-reactive society as much as it is an expected reaction from a 'connected' society that can immediately express anger / frustration about incredibly poor planning and execution by management (in this case, regarding player health).

My point is that not everything has to be a social commentary - sometimes, an awful coach is just an awful coach...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I never said it was not ok to voice anyones opinion. However, calling for a coach to be fired for something someone on his staff blew for the first time as far as we know. Is typical quick to judge public hanging. Everyone is looking for a head to roll for anything these days. At what point do we educate, train and communicate anymore with people to make them better and learn from their mistakes in a positive way. This use to be the American way. Now its if your not a Saint your fired, end of story. Its pretty sad and depressing to think no one has any room for mistakes anymore.

Its would be like firing the Ceo everytime one of his department heads screws up. He is ultimately responsible so he should be fired today!!! Thats public perception these days. Because all it takes anymore is one loud voice, one agenda driven group to get anyone fired. Yell, scream, threaten boycotts, etc. and you get someone fired. No one is perfect and all will both sin and make mistakes. But yet we all could fall victim to a screaming crowd who is over reacting without all or sometimes any of the facts.
I think you underestimate the seriousness of the issue at hand, and the seriousness and egregiousness of an action have always had a bearing on whether one lost theirjob in situations like this.

Here's the downlow: The young man had a concussion with obvious signs that were either missed or ignored. He was kept on the field immediately afterward and even came back in later to run another play. Because he already had a brain injury he was at much greater risk of even a relatively mild blow to the head causing a catastrophic outcome (read potential death here). That is why the issue is serious enough to warrant termination of employment. That, and the fact that throughout the entire sports world the issue of brain injury is widely known and currently being emphasized. Despite this knowledge and emphasis, no one felt it important enough under Hoke's leadership to pay attention to a player showing obvious signs and no one kept him out of the game, thereby putting the young man's life in jeopardy. This is not an ankle sprrain with a risk of further injury causing him to miss the rest of the season. Further injury could have taken his life. The phenomenon is also widely known and emphasized and it is called Second Impact Syndrome. While rare, it is catastrophic. In that situation you get, and never have gotten, a second chance. There is no room for this "mistake". Hoke deserves and needs to be fired.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Want to expound some on this. Armen Keteyian was on Finebaum yesterday to discuss the situation in Ann Arbor. He said he's kept his mouth shut and won't speak again about it after talking to PF yesterday. He knows the Michigan athletic department due to profiling Brandon and his hiring of Hoke in his book The System. He was in Ann Arbor yesterday and talked to several students. They told him their wanting Brandon gone doesn't come from Brady Hoke's coaching or the Shane Morris incident. They're upset about the student section seating policy being changed.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If Michigan were winning, say at a level to contend for the Final Four playoff, the Morris incident would be a minor footnote, garnering little or no notice.

But he isn't winning, and his teams are actually regressing. So they want him gone for lack of performance, not callousness toward his players.

Trouble is, for decades they've annointed themselves the protectors of all that is good and right. Winning the right way. Preferring to lose than win the wrong way. Nobly upholding the Michigan Man ideal in the face of ever-eroding adherence to morals.

Now, they're faced with the reality of losing, with a Michigan Man who, by all accounts runs a clean program, at the helm.

Hmmmmm....latch onto the first thing you can that doesn't have anything directly to do with Ws and Ls, and trumpet it for all it's worth. All the better if you can wrap yourself in the mantle of preserving integrity, rather than soiling yourself with that slimy stuff about "winning" that the hoi polloi worry about. We're SO better than all that.

Hoke's toast, but it's about his record, not Shane Morris.

BTW -- A lot of talking heads speculate that Michigan will go after another Michigan Man, generally without comment on the limitations that places on the search. Where was this tolerance when Alabama fans didn't like Bill Curry? Or when, several years later, they faxed DuBose into the chair? We got pilloried for being provincial and narrow-minded, trying to recapture Bryant.

Given their rejection of Rodriguez and their current preference for an alum, where is their narrow-mindedness? SMH

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That entire crew needs to be reprimanded - I find it shocking that wasn't called as targeting. Probably the most obvious instance of it I've seen in the last two years.
I watched this hit again last night and clearly the defender led with the crown (top of the helmet). This is without a doubt targeting. I do agree with those who say this gives the faction that want Hoke gone further ammunition, but it is still about his W-L record.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think you underestimate the seriousness of the issue at hand, and the seriousness and egregiousness of an action have always had a bearing on whether one lost theirjob in situations like this.

Here's the downlow: The young man had a concussion with obvious signs that were either missed or ignored. He was kept on the field immediately afterward and even came back in later to run another play. Because he already had a brain injury he was at much greater risk of even a relatively mild blow to the head causing a catastrophic outcome (read potential death here). That is why the issue is serious enough to warrant termination of employment. That, and the fact that throughout the entire sports world the issue of brain injury is widely known and currently being emphasized. Despite this knowledge and emphasis, no one felt it important enough under Hoke's leadership to pay attention to a player showing obvious signs and no one kept him out of the game, thereby putting the young man's life in jeopardy. This is not an ankle sprrain with a risk of further injury causing him to miss the rest of the season. Further injury could have taken his life. The phenomenon is also widely known and emphasized and it is called Second Impact Syndrome. While rare, it is catastrophic. In that situation you get, and never have gotten, a second chance. There is no room for this "mistake". Hoke deserves and needs to be fired.
Perfect response 15, thank you.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.