Ole Miss and Alabama Offense and Defense Stats

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My perspective on Ole Miss:
I read lot of article, including Jess's evaluation on Ole Miss this week, and here are some things I noticed so far:

Disclaimer: I'm basing the stats on the website provided here: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

--Offense passing yards--
#12 Alabama is no. 12 (2 ints)
#13 Ole Miss (6 ints)

Justneedme81's perspective: i really think that it will come down to which defense performs the best. Turnover is the key here. Bo Wallace is a turnover machine, and I think that will be the factor in the game.

--3rd Down Conversion Pct--
#10 Ole miss is ranked 29/55 for .527
#1 Alabama is ranked 34/54 for .630

Justneedme81's perspective: I feel good about this one. Kiffin will find a way to get us 1st down on consistent basis. It seems to me that we score at will on almost every time we have the ball. Another thing to look for is the time of possession. Look for us to chew the clock off, to wear the defense down. I don't think I've seen Ole Miss playing well on third downs. They can be inconsistent especially in 3rd and 4th quarters. Notice the TOP for Alabama is no. 4 for 140 TOP and they are averaging 35. Ole Miss is ranked 30th.
Total Offense first 4 games:
Ole Miss- 304 plays for 1,985 yards, averaging 6.44 yards and has 19 touchdowns. Ranked #23
Alabama- 312 plays for 2,377 yards, averaging 7.62 yards and has 21 touchdowns. Ranked #4 (Baylor, Marshall and Texas A and M are ahead of Alabama)

Justneedme81's perspective: This shows that Alabama players can be very explosive and we can make big plays when needed. Ole Miss is close, but they're averaging 6 yards per play, and I think If we can shut them down and force them in 3rd and 7th and longer situation, we will be fine. I think we'll see lot of deep balls in this game.

Now off to Defense section:

Total Defense:
#5Alabama- 222 plays and 1001 yards. We are averaging 4.51 yards per play, giving up 3 Tds and we have5 OPP Tds. 250.3 yards per game.
#4 Ole Miss- 265 plays and 992 yards. They are averaging 3.74 yards per play, giving up 2 TDs and 2 Opp Tds. They are averaging 248.0.

Rushing Defense:
# 4 Alabama – 93 Opp Rush, 248 yards, 2.67, 1 TDs. Team are averaging 62 yards against us.
#34 Ole Miss- 130 Opp Rush, 458 yards, 3.52, 1 TDs. Team are averaging 114.5 against them.

Passing Defense: No need to get into details. We know the story.
#6 Ole Miss ( has 9 ints for the season)
#24 Alabama ( I think we have two?)
This stats

Third Downs Defense:
#3 Alabama- 12/50 and are averaging .250 against them.
#12 Ole Miss- 16/58 and are averaging .276 against them.

Justneedme81's perspective: It looks like a close call between those two teams, but it isn't. Alabama clearly has that advantage when it comes to 3rd down defense. We know that Ole Miss will throw more than they will run the ball, so I expect Alabama to be in nickel/Dime situations this year. We need to force them into 3rd down situations a lot and force turnovers. I think Ole Miss Defense is not legitimate just yet. I don't think their defense ever faced a team with so much talent this year such as White, Jones, Yeldon, Henry, Cooper, Drake, Fowler, Howard, and Sims throughout the game. They don't know who's going to line up where and what will happen. On the top of that, We will try and keep their defense on the field as long as possible to wear them down. It's too much for Ole Miss to deal with. This is too much for them to prepare for. The thing about Cooper is that he's very good and talent-wise, also, pays attention to their rushing defense and compare to ours. This will be very interesting matchup to look for on Saturday. I think we will force Ole miss to become one dimensional team and this will increase the chance of Bo turning over the ball several times in the game. We will wear them down. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If Ole Miss had played Bama's Schedule - what would their stats look like?
If we played Ole Miss's Schedule - what would ours look like?

I think that may be a better indicator of what those stats mean.

Ole Miss's opponents are 7-11 (and that's a bit skewed because Boise State, UL Laf both played Ole Miss, but also Played each other - creating a guaranteed 3-3 record between the 3 schools) - take out the 4 losses to Ole Miss -- that means their opponents are 7-7 against other teams...

Bama's Opponents are - 8-9 -- take out the 4 losses to Bama -- they are 8-5 vs other teams.....

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I'm just struggling to see Bo Wallace beating Bama. The guy has never impressed me. I think they have a good defense as well, but if Blake's shoulder is right they are going to have to pick their poison, run or pass. They can't stop both.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That was my point! Ole miss seems to be over rated because of the teams they played against, and their numbers are skewed somewhat. We played against WV and Florida, so our stats are validated. They have no way to stop our offense. We can turn into Arkansas and run the ball to the 4th quarter and then ends up pass happy :) All those talks we heard about Ole Miss, it aggravated me and I just had to post the numbers here.

That was my point! Ole miss seems to be over rated because of the teams they played against, and their numbers are skewed somewhat. We played against WV and Florida, so our stats are validated. They have no way to stop our offense. We can turn into Arkansas and run the ball to the 4th quarter and then ends up pass happy :) All those talks we heard about Ole Miss, it aggravated me and I just had to post the numbers here.
I'm in total agreement. It just seems like the same ole Ole Miss. They struggled to beat Boise State and Memphis. We play them and beat them like a drum.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gary Danielson put it well when he said to beat Alabama you need great QB play. Good QB play will not be enough in this game.

Does Bo have that kind of game in him? I just don't see it, but stranger things have happened.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
When was the last time he had a great game without Ints?
Gary Danielson put it well when he said to beat Alabama you need great QB play. Good QB play will not be enough in this game.

Does Bo have that kind of game in him? I just don't see it, but stranger things have happened.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Good stuff.

It will eventually flatten out, but we also missed half a quarter against a relatively weak team. Most of OM's gaudy offensive stats have come late in games when they have worn down their opponent. I believe against Memphis and one other game, they only scored 7 in the first three quarters. Hard to rate the best opponent they have faced thus far -- it may be Memphis. Vandy is better now than when they played Mississippi, but up was the only way they had to go.

I believe their defense is the best we will have seen so far, though the gap between them and Florida is not that great. I do not believe their offense is better than WVa. I don't see them having a lot of luck running it on us, so it will all be on Bo and his receivers. I think he has to have the game of his life, a la Stephen Garcia, otherwise we win by at least two scores.

Go For 16

Jan 11, 2014
I am enjoying this thread. There is a fun site called my teams better.com where you can pull up stats side by side for two teams and it ranks a winner in each category. Fun to play around with for all the teams.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

And we know who those strangers are...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
If Ole Miss had played Bama's Schedule - what would their stats look like?
If we played Ole Miss's Schedule - what would ours look like?

I think that may be a better indicator of what those stats mean.

Ole Miss's opponents are 7-11 (and that's a bit skewed because Boise State, UL Laf both played Ole Miss, but also Played each other - creating a guaranteed 3-3 record between the 3 schools) - take out the 4 losses to Ole Miss -- that means their opponents are 7-7 against other teams...

Bama's Opponents are - 8-9 -- take out the 4 losses to Bama -- they are 8-5 vs other teams.....

Ditto. Look deeper into the teams both teams have played:

Ole Miss "wins":
Boise State -> Yeah they found a way to beat Colorado State (who this season has been Jekyll & Hyde), beat La Lafayette (so did Ole Miss by a similar margin), UConn but lost this past weekend to Air Force (28-14). Folks, let me tell you: Air Force is terrible -- no one here will buy any of the cheap and available ** season packages.
Vandy -> no one has to tell you how bad these guys are. There are true cupcake teams that can beat Vandy by 2 or more scores.
LA-Lafayette -> Just awful. They've lost to everyone so far except Southern.
Memphis -> Not a bad team I have to admit. But no SEC team no matter what -- even if you're looking ahead -- should ever struggle with these guys more than a quarter.

Bama wins:
WV -> Has had some tough luck but we all saw these guys are a decent team and will be ranked in the top 15-20 before it's all said and done. Only losses are to Bama and Oklahoma, both are top 5 teams.
FAU -> Beat the daylights out of Tulsa (yeah not quite the same team as they have been) and almost beat Wyoming -- a team they have no business beating in Laramie.
So. Miss-> Yeah they do stink but did beat former div II powerhouse, App St.
Florida -> They did beat a very much (for them) improved Kentucky team.

I don't think the stats tell everything. We are ahead of Ole Miss in the stats department though before we even dig deep. I think Miss State is more the real deal than these guys.

Still, if someone would have told me before the season started that before we play Ole Miss, Blake Sims would have already thrown over 1000 yards, Amari Cooper with 600 of those yards receiving (and solidly in the Heisman race), running backs completely rested, we would beat Florida by 3 scores, Ole Miss and Miss State were our biggest opponents, I would have been ecstatic! As I am now really. A lot of you said this season if nothing else is going to be exciting. Dang if y'all ain't been right. While I've enjoyed the wins in 2011/12 and 2012/13, I haven't been this pumped up for Bama football since 2009.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Miss State is my biggest concern this season. I think they are legit, but we'll see how they play throughout the season. I wouldn't be suprised to see them facing us with one or two losses by then.

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
I am not worried about their running game which means BW has to beat us with his arm. Don't see it Bama by 2 TD's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.