Ole Miss and Alabama Offense and Defense Stats

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gary Danielson put it well when he said to beat Alabama you need great QB play. Good QB play will not be enough in this game.

Does Bo have that kind of game in him? I just don't see it, but stranger things have happened.
Yesterday, Gary Daneilson did his weekly appearance on Finebaum's show. He said in Alabama's SEC losses the pass to rush ratio has been 21:43 with TAMU being the only team to pass more than 22 times. So far Ole Miss has thrown the ball 147 times in 4 games (36.75 attempts per game) and run the ball 161 times (40.25 attempts per game). As Gary said, Stephen Garcia was a "hot and cold" QB like Bo Wallace. I don't see Ole Miss being patient enough to have the same pass to rush ratio the teams that beat Bama have had.

To the theme of the thread:

Alex Scarborough tweeted the below.

Only two teams in the SEC are picking up 5 yards or more on the majority of its rush attempts: Arkansas (53.5%) and Alabama (52.0%).
As JustNeedMe81 stated in the OP, Ole Miss ranks 34th in the nation in rushing defense by allowing 114.5 yards a game.

Here's the rushing offenses they've faced:
#49 Memphis (187.8 yards/game, 4.27 yards/rush) -- Memphis rushed for 23 and 0.7 yards/rush
#60 Boise State (174 yards/game, 4.42 yards/rush) -- Boise rushed for 135 and 3.6 yards/rush
#63 UL-Lafayette (171.5 yards/game, 5.08 yards/rush) -- ULL rushed for 193 and 5.2 yards/rush
#108 Vanderbilt (106.2 yards/game, 3.65 yards/rush) -- Vandy rushed for 107 and 4.3 yards/rush

Bama's offense has faced these rush defenses:
#46 Florida (128.0 yards/game, 3.23 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 251 and 4.3 yards/rush
#98 West Virginia (198.5 yards/game, 5.26 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 294 and 5.9 yards/rush
#104 Florida Atlantic (219.0 yards/game, 5.56 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 200 and 5.9 yards/rush
#119 Southern Miss (247.4 yards/game, 5.62 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 347 and 6.8 yards/rush

Bama gained more than the opponent's average in 3 of the 4 games with the only exception ending 8 minutes early. Alabama has also had 32 rushes go for 10+ yards so far this season.

Ole Miss held its opponents under its average two games with their most recent game being the most obvious.

I'm not sure if either team has seen the same attack it faces Saturday.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's why i think both team will script their 10-20 plays to see what works and what won't work... Something tells me we'll see lot of rush attempts against them... Force the defenders to load the boxes so that will open up the passing game... or we might throw a lot and open up the running game. As the stats showed above, Advantage goes to Bama.

Yesterday, Gary Daneilson did his weekly appearance on Finebaum's show. He said in Alabama's SEC losses the pass to rush ratio has been 21:43 with TAMU being the only team to pass more than 22 times. So far Ole Miss has thrown the ball 147 times in 4 games (36.75 attempts per game) and run the ball 161 times (40.25 attempts per game). As Gary said, Stephen Garcia was a "hot and cold" QB like Bo Wallace. I don't see Ole Miss being patient enough to have the same pass to rush ratio the teams that beat Bama have had.

As JustNeedMe81 stated in the OP, Ole Miss ranks 34th in the nation in rushing defense by allowing 114.5 yards a game.

#49 Memphis (187.8 yards/game, 4.27 yards/rush) -- Memphis rushed for 23 and 0.7 yards/rush
#60 Boise State (174 yards/game, 4.42 yards/rush) -- Boise rushed for 135 and 3.6 yards/rush
#63 UL-Lafayette (171.5 yards/game, 5.08 yards/rush) -- ULL rushed for 193 and 5.2 yards/rush
#108 Vanderbilt (106.2 yards/game, 3.65 yards/rush) -- Vandy rushed for 107 and 4.3 yards/rush

#46 Florida (128.0 yards/game, 3.23 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 251 and 4.3 yards/rush
#98 West Virginia (198.5 yards/game, 5.26 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 294 and 5.9 yards/rush
#104 Florida Atlantic (219.0 yards/game, 5.56 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 200 and 5.9 yards/rush
#119 Southern Miss (247.4 yards/game, 5.62 yards/rush) -- Bama rushed for 347 and 6.8 yards/rush

Bama gained more than the opponent's average in 3 of the 4 games with the only exception ending 8 minutes early. Alabama has also had 32 rushes go for 10+ yards so far this season.

Ole Miss held its opponents under its average two games with their most recent game being the most obvious.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The segment Finebaum does with Gary is very good every week but it was great this week. Among with what you pointed out Gary also went into how all roads in the SEC lead to or have to go through Bama. It was a very interesting segment. I kinda got that his feeling on the game was Ole Miss has a punchers chance, and that's about it..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My question is whose front seven is better? Florida's or Mississippi's? I tought Florida's front seven would be the best we've seen all year.
OM may have a better front seven but I doubt they play us like UF did and play man to man with 8 in the box. They almost have to keep safeties deep after what Coop did to UF last week. If they load the box it will be a replay of last week. If it was me I would double team Coop and make another receiver beat me. That is very possible to happen also but Coop beating you is a given now lol.

OM may have a better front seven but I doubt they play us like UF did and play man to man with 8 in the box. They almost have to keep safeties deep after what Coop did to UF last week. If they load the box it will be a replay of last week. If it was me I would double team Coop and make another receiver beat me. That is very possible to happen also but Coop beating you is a given now lol.
Got ya. It was hard to run on UF for a while, then we took over. The've always been pretty stout in run defense. With the way the OL is blocking, if it is to continue, I don't think Ole Miss can stop it. Then, they have to worry about the passing attack. Everyone is concerned about Coop, but White is having a good year as well. He's been hurt, but he's been very, very effective. He would have had over 100 yds against WV if he doesn't get hurt in that game. If the trend continues with OJ now, that something else to worry about.

Then they have to wory about the little QB runs as well.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This article will explains more on how we force defense to line up. http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...kiffin-nick-saban-offense-game-of-week-100114
Got ya. It was hard to run on UF for a while, then we took over. The've always been pretty stout in run defense. With the way the OL is blocking, if it is to continue, I don't think Ole Miss can stop it. Then, they have to worry about the passing attack. Everyone is concerned about Coop, but White is having a good year as well. He's been hurt, but he's been very, very effective. He would have had over 100 yds against WV if he doesn't get hurt in that game. If the trend continues with OJ now, that something else to worry about.

Then they have to wory about the little QB runs as well.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This article will explains more on how we force defense to line up. http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...kiffin-nick-saban-offense-game-of-week-100114
Articles and info like this are why I like tidefans. I've watched football my whole life, and played when I was young, but I've learned more in depth information about high level football from this site than I could have imagined. The depth to which good coaches go to get the edge in a game is crazy. My high school ran the wishbone and had a three yards and a cloud of dust mentality. What CLK is doing blows my mind.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Heard this on Finebaum earlier. In Bo Wallace's 17 SEC starts, his stats look like this:

4723 yards
21 TDs
20 INTs
42 sacks

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.