I think Common Core has made it to Texas

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've been helping my 7th grader with his math and the way he is being taught to solve problems v. the way I was taught is completely different.

For example: What is 20% of 50?

He starts off by putting 1/100 and trying to solve from there because that's what his teacher told him. I quickly corrected him and said your teacher is wrong. This is a simple multiplication problem. First, convert 20% into a decimal - what is it? .20 Then multiply 50 x .20. So he does. Finally I said make it easier. Just bring the two zeros down and multiply 5 x 2. You already know the two zeros are your decimal place holders, so 10 is the answer.

After he worked about 20 problems my way, he said "I wish you were my math teacher." Which I replied, "I am, because I'm spending two hours a night going over math with you."

It may not be common core, he may just have a really dumb math teacher.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I took 10% of 50 and then doubled it, that was the easiest way for me to do it.

I remember reading something in Marilyn vos Savant's column in Parade Magazine once. Someone had written in and said she had been criticized for how she calculated a 15% tip in a restaurant. The person said they had taken 10% of the total and then took half of that and added them together. A friend had told them they had done it all wrong. Marilyn told them as long as you got the right answer (which the writer's process did), it shouldn't make any difference what method you used.

She has an IQ higher than mine, yours and the math teacher combined. I'll take her advice in solving simple math problems.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Sounds like the math teacher needs to use a calculator find out what grade a student made when they get 8 out of 10 correct on a quiz.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes that is common core and you will do well to learn the advanced ways of our dear leader. It's progressive, hip, and cool and like everyone does this way for real. It's going to make us compete with the rest of the world gooder and stuff.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
It sounds like your child is using a Saxon Math book. If so, depending on the grade, the book teaches finding 1% first and then moves on to other % problems. I am not a fan of this Math series and I taught out of it for years. What you taught your son is a good, quick way to solve %.

CC started out as a decent proposal until our dear elected officials started to fine tune things. The idea was to have a set of standards used throughout the U.S. so a 1st grader living in Texas would be taught the same thing, at the same time if they moved to another state. Good intentions that have been completely changed once again by our fearless leaders. Many states are choosing to opt out of CC and I agree 100% as an educator.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
According to my wife, common core stresses knowing multiple ways of solving a problem. It's at the local, or even the individual teacher level, that you get into these "New Math Redux" situations. We've had some issues with a math teacher ourselves.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
According to my wife, common core stresses knowing multiple ways of solving a problem. It's at the local, or even the individual teacher level, that you get into these "New Math Redux" situations. We've had some issues with a math teacher ourselves.

Your wife is correct...but you already knew that. :wink:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
My daughter is in fourth grade. The way she is being taught multiplication is very frustrating for her and her parents. The teachers hate it too. They are being taught that if you are multiplying a 3 digit number by a single digit, that you multiply from left to right then add up each sum. Completely backwards from what we were taught. It is not that difficult for a 3 digit times single digit problem, but going forward, using that method will result in much more work and errors once the problems grow to more digits. I have taught my daughter both methods, but since she has to use the common core method in order to get credit, I have told to use the method I taught her (on scratch paper) to check her answers.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
My daughter is in fourth grade. The way she is being taught multiplication is very frustrating for her and her parents. The teachers hate it too. They are being taught that if you are multiplying a 3 digit number by a single digit, that you multiply from left to right then add up each sum. Completely backwards from what we were taught. It is not that difficult for a 3 digit times single digit problem, but going forward, using that method will result in much more work and errors once the problems grow to more digits. I have taught my daughter both methods, but since she has to use the common core method in order to get credit, I have told to use the method I taught her (on scratch paper) to check her answers.
It's so ridiculous.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Bad teacher. The Common Core standard for Grade 4 math states: "multiply a whole number up to four digits by a one digit number based on place value and properties of operations."
The method you described just sounds weird. I am guessing a textbook presented that as a way to do multiplication and the teacher thinks everyone should use that method. One of the main tenets of Common Core math is to provide several methods and let students decide which method is best - perhaps a flaw - but there are not "Common Core methods" in this regard.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Bad teacher. The Common Core standard for Grade 4 math states: "multiply a whole number up to four digits by a one digit number based on place value and properties of operations."
The method you described just sounds weird. I am guessing a textbook presented that as a way to do multiplication and the teacher thinks everyone should use that method. One of the main tenets of Common Core math is to provide several methods and let students decide which method is best - perhaps a flaw - but there are not "Common Core methods" in this regard.
Agree, bad teacher. I have issues with the way my kids are being taught under common core. I have yet to see with my children a teacher that facilitates multiple methods. One key issue that many people are not focusing on is the fact that most of these teachers were not taught this common core system. The teachers may have explicit instructions from the principal, local BOE, State BOE to teach a certain "standardized curriculum" but many times do not understand the common core design for achieving these standards. I'm not making excuses for the teacher and/or common core but the educational institutions turning out these teachers must teach these future teachers how to teach common core (pun).

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The issue comes about when teacher metrics and quality are tied to the tests that they have to teach for. When one company is creating the tests, and making available study guides, human nature is naturally going to suggest using the study guides to help prepare for the tests.

This coupled with the fact that some of these tests are truly abhorrent in their presentation of the information exacerbates the problem. What alternative do teachers have for creating material tailored to their students, when they will be penalized unless they teach the material in a way that the student will be likely to do well on the test? Or put another way, if the testing company creates a test that utilizes difficult language to represent a scenario, the teacher doesn't only have to focus on teaching the material but also how to interpret the presentation of the subject by a given test maker.
For example, read this article about a standardized test given to a first grader in New York.

A ridiculous common core test for first graders.

The test in question was created by Pearson, which is just one purveyor of tests that support the common core. If your state adopted CCWS and chooses to use Pearson as their materials supplier, do you really think your state is going to pay to have Pearson make a different test to make your state's teachers happy? Especially when CCWS was touted as a way to lower the cost of education in states that adopt CCWS.

Now I don't think its necessarily fair to put all of this on the test creators. Just because they use nomenclature contrary to what is actually common, or at least common in my experience, doesn't mean that its a bad test.

Some examples of the bad nomenclature/language in the example test on that article:
part I know/whole Used to briefly describe a subtraction problem, however without context seems difficult to comprehend.
Use cubes to solve Expectation of methodology that can only be utilized if student has been exposed, thereby limiting the flexibility you expect the teachers to use.
Number Sentence Basically a standard equation describing addition or subtraction.
Subtraction Sentence Apparently same as above, seems synonymous. Examples are 4 + 3 = 7 and 6 - 4 = 2 So apparently has nothing do so with the operation in the actual "sentence".

I gave the examples above mainly because while they are not necessarily hard things to teach, they do imply some context specific language that the teachers cannot avoid. Additionally they dictate methodology if the teachers have any hope of their students doing well on the test. This takes away from the time available for the actual teaching of the subject, much less the freedom to teach how it would best suit the students as you would have to tie everything up in the end to ensure the custom way has a translation for the test way.

I am personally on the fence about CCSS. The idea is great, the implementation is pretty poor. I have done enough research to believe that the big selling point that states can customize to their hearts desire is marketing and BS made to make the teachers and school systems look like lazy, uncaring, stuck in the mud crankypants. CCSS is not nearly as malleable as they want you to believe, and the companies and foundations behind it have spent far more money advertising and selling CCSS than they have in developing the standard and garnering constructive feedback.

In the end it comes down to how active a parent is in their kids education. If we choose public education, it is my responsibility that my child is as prepared as I can make them. If that includes learning new ways to do old things, I am perfectly willing to learn the new way in the hopes that I can engender a love of learning in my child. While I may not be crazy about how they are doing it, whether the school system used CCWS or the old way, the success of my child was going to require attentiveness in any measure.

My biggest beef with the whole CCWS thing is that they don't really seem interested in listening to anyone who is actually in the teaching field and hasn't already been sold on the great miracle that CCWS will perform to make all of our children geniuses. That and the federal government tying education dollars to an unproven, untested, experiment on our children.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.