CFN prognostication of Bama vs. Black Bear Rebels

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I will gladly take the win that way.

I fully expect that Ole Miss will come out fired up as ever and maybe get out to a quick start. Hopefully they won't be able to sustain it and Bama will be disciplined and grind away and "make them quit."

I'd rather see Bama take control and blow 'em out but OM is a good team and it'll probably be late in the game before we can rest easy.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I 'll gladly take that score. However I don't think it will be quite that high scoring.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
If Sims is recovered from his shoulder/arm injury I think we pick them apart. We'll slow down any rush with some screens and then start cutting them up in Silence of the Lambs fashion. It could get ugly.
I agree, if Sims is healthy the game will never be close and we will win big. I'm just not sold on their offense and defense being that great. They have literally played no one good. I will say their defense looks pretty good, but not nearly good enough to shut us down.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree, if Sims is healthy the game will never be close and we will win big. I'm just not sold on their offense and defense being that great. They have literally played no one good. I will say their defense looks pretty good, but not nearly good enough to shut us down.
If Wallace gets any pressure on him he will turn the ball over. Their offense hasn't run the ball very well either. So basically they are one dimensional. If we let a one dimensional team beat us then we were that good to begin with.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
it seems to me that CFN predicts winners based on the Vegas favorites. nothing earth shattering and no bold predictions either.

here are my bold predictions:
UK over USC
Vols over UF
LSU over barnyard
I agree with Bama over OM and Miss St. over TAMU. :wink:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I don't see that much scoring from either side.
Unless the scoring comes off of turnovers I don't either. Ole Miss is usually just Ole Miss, and if we get "Bad Bo Wallace," that could be the case this time around too. They're defense is really good though. They've got 1 or 2 future NFL players at every position group on the defensive side of the ball, some of whom get be stars at the next level. Honestly, I think the first team to 30 wins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Football is:

1) run the ball - they can't
2) stop the run - eh, maybe
3) avoid turnovers - this is probably going to determine the winner
4) avoid stupid penalties - they get penalized a ton

Now.....if they have one of those days where they do all that stuff, they will win.

Let's look at what everybody is basing all this on:

1) Memphis is better than they used to be.

One looks at the Tigers and says, "Well, they average 34 ppg and Ole Miss only gave up 3." Sure, let's just ignore that 63 of those points were against Ohio Valley Conference also-ran Austin Peay (who also gave up 63 to Eastern Illinois). Oh but you say, they scored 35 on UCLA, whom folks have penciled in as a contender, right? Sorry, but 7 of those were on an interception return - and who says UCLA is that good anyway? They barely beat a mediocre UVA team - and it was supposedly because of the time difference - but they also barely beat the dumpster fire that is Longhorn U.

This entire argument rests on Memphis being better than they have been, and I don't think there's enough evidence to support that at this point.

2) Bo Wallace's inflated stats against lousy competition.

Oh, he's hitting 71% of his passes!! Oh, he's passed for all those yards!!

Against Boise State, the Rebels only led 7-6 entering the fourth quarter. You've probably heard Bo Wallace caught fire, right? Here's what he did:

1st drive: three running plays, an incomplete he was bailed out by a pass interference, a sack and then 3 for 4 for 54 yards
2nd drive: Boise fumbled at their own 40; first play a run then a 31-yard TD pass
3rd drive: a one-play 76-yard bomb for a TD
4th drive: Ole Miss recovered an onsides kick, Wallace threw one 13-yard pass and a run sealed the game

So his resume in one quarter late against an overmatched team boils down to one really good drive, one short drive, a lucky bomb, and a short field due to circumstance.

Sure, you can say, "But he came through when it counted." Okay, I'll bite. Do you think that if Alabama gets THREE interceptions in the first half off of Bo Wallace (as Boise did) that they will get more than two field goals? Because if he does that and is in a hole, that's a whole lot different than still leading 7-6.

That leads us to Vandy, where Wallace put up 320 yards. But quarterbacks from Temple and South Carolina have been just as devastating. Sure, they didn't throw for as many yards. Why? Well South Carolina rushed for over 200 yards. Fact is that both Temple and USCe were every bit as dominant against Vandy as Ole Miss was but nobody is touting them as maybe winning this weekend.

That leaves ULL. And the same Boise State that gave Ole Miss fits for three quarters was only slightly less devastating against the Cajuns because they're absolutely terrible. Ole Miss defense is dominant when it gave up 15 points? Then Boise giving up only 9 to the same team makes them the 1985 Bears, right?

Fact is that Wallace and Ole Miss have inflated numbers against mediocre teams. It's not all that different than that great Texas rushing defense in 2009. Now are some of our numbers a tad inflated?

Yes.

But I would point out that whatever one thinks, Florida has some of the best actual TALENT in the nation, far better than any team Ole Miss has played. And they got sandblasted by us.

I think that the only way it stays a game for too long is we turn it over like we did with the Gators. Without all those turnovers, that game is a 50-7 pasting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To be fair, Memphis is vastly improved from previous years, without question - but there's till no comparison wrt skill level at any position with an SEC team. Beating Memphis is still nothing to pound one's chest over.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To be fair, Memphis is vastly improved from previous years, without question - but there's till no comparison wrt skill level at any position with an SEC team. Beating Memphis is still nothing to pound one's chest over.
Yeah, they're improved, but that's like a NASCAR racer finishing the year 30th in points rather than 40th and saying he's a contender.

Football is:

1) run the ball - they can't
2) stop the run - eh, maybe
3) avoid turnovers - this is probably going to determine the winner
4) avoid stupid penalties - they get penalized a ton

Now.....if they have one of those days where they do all that stuff, they will win.

Let's look at what everybody is basing all this on:

1) Memphis is better than they used to be.

One looks at the Tigers and says, "Well, they average 34 ppg and Ole Miss only gave up 3." Sure, let's just ignore that 63 of those points were against Ohio Valley Conference also-ran Austin Peay (who also gave up 63 to Eastern Illinois). Oh but you say, they scored 35 on UCLA, whom folks have penciled in as a contender, right? Sorry, but 7 of those were on an interception return - and who says UCLA is that good anyway? They barely beat a mediocre UVA team - and it was supposedly because of the time difference - but they also barely beat the dumpster fire that is Longhorn U.

This entire argument rests on Memphis being better than they have been, and I don't think there's enough evidence to support that at this point.

2) Bo Wallace's inflated stats against lousy competition.

Oh, he's hitting 71% of his passes!! Oh, he's passed for all those yards!!

Against Boise State, the Rebels only led 7-6 entering the fourth quarter. You've probably heard Bo Wallace caught fire, right? Here's what he did:

1st drive: three running plays, an incomplete he was bailed out by a pass interference, a sack and then 3 for 4 for 54 yards
2nd drive: Boise fumbled at their own 40; first play a run then a 31-yard TD pass
3rd drive: a one-play 76-yard bomb for a TD
4th drive: Ole Miss recovered an onsides kick, Wallace threw one 13-yard pass and a run sealed the game

So his resume in one quarter late against an overmatched team boils down to one really good drive, one short drive, a lucky bomb, and a short field due to circumstance.

Sure, you can say, "But he came through when it counted." Okay, I'll bite. Do you think that if Alabama gets THREE interceptions in the first half off of Bo Wallace (as Boise did) that they will get more than two field goals? Because if he does that and is in a hole, that's a whole lot different than still leading 7-6.

That leads us to Vandy, where Wallace put up 320 yards. But quarterbacks from Temple and South Carolina have been just as devastating. Sure, they didn't throw for as many yards. Why? Well South Carolina rushed for over 200 yards. Fact is that both Temple and USCe were every bit as dominant against Vandy as Ole Miss was but nobody is touting them as maybe winning this weekend.

That leaves ULL. And the same Boise State that gave Ole Miss fits for three quarters was only slightly less devastating against the Cajuns because they're absolutely terrible. Ole Miss defense is dominant when it gave up 15 points? Then Boise giving up only 9 to the same team makes them the 1985 Bears, right?

Fact is that Wallace and Ole Miss have inflated numbers against mediocre teams. It's not all that different than that great Texas rushing defense in 2009. Now are some of our numbers a tad inflated?

Yes.

But I would point out that whatever one thinks, Florida has some of the best actual TALENT in the nation, far better than any team Ole Miss has played. And they got sandblasted by us.

I think that the only way it stays a game for too long is we turn it over like we did with the Gators. Without all those turnovers, that game is a 50-7 pasting.
And I say to you sir, well done! You see the same thing I do. This is beginning to remind me of Notre Dame in the BCSCG.

I kept telling everyone look at who they've played and how they've won.

Plus, they just woke up a sleeping bear with the words they've said, AGAIN.

If Bama had their schedule, those scores wouldn't be close, IN THE FIRST HALF. I can't imagine being close with someone with that schedule going into the 4th quarter. We all would say we don't have a good football team. So, why does Mississippi all of a sudden get a pass from us?

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
"Alabama will win, Alabama will get on the bus, and then Alabama will go play someone else’s biggest game of the year." :biggrin2:
That's what I'm talking bout.

The biggest upset I ever participated in was in high school. We had no thoughts about winning but somebody snuck a jug of brandy into the gym while we were "resting" before loading up on the bus. By game time we were pretty inebriated and loose as a goose. We played a team that was an undefeated powerhouse, a bigger school, (class 4A versus 2A), and we played them lights out. some of us had to leave the game to upchuck but we all went right back in.

The point is getting all emotional and hyped up probably isn't the best way to approach games like this.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And I say to you sir, well done! You see the same thing I do. This is beginning to remind me of Notre Dame in the BCSCG.

I kept telling everyone look at who they've played and how they've won.

Plus, they just woke up a sleeping bear with the words they've said, AGAIN.

If Bama had their schedule, those scores wouldn't be close, IN THE FIRST HALF. I can't imagine being close with someone with that schedule going into the 4th quarter. We all would say we don't have a good football team. So, why does Mississippi all of a sudden get a pass from us?
I think a lot of schools are pointing to the 2010 South Carolina experience as the way to beat us - get a team in your lair with all the noise the fanbase can muster and seize the momentum early, hoping your Surfer Dude QB can play lights out. But that game was - quite frankly - an anomaly. Since 2008, we have lost nine games. Three were neutral site games, three at home, and three on the road. That South Carolina game is LITERALLY what some folks hold onto.

You don't seize on the anomaly to make your case. This is more likely to turn out like 2010 Arkansas or 2013 aTm than 2010 USCe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.