Link: D.J. Pettway story of returning to Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For the crowd that believe DJ shouldn't be in Tuscaloosa:

The quiet of Scooba almost got to him.

Pettway missed Alabama.

When fellow defensive lineman Jarran Reed, who was being recruited by the Crimson Tide, was getting ready to make a trip to campus, Pettway wanted to tag along.

"Coach, I'm going to go for a ballgame," he told Stephens.

"No, you can't go," Stephens replied. "You're not allowed."

It was a painful moment. Stephens reminded Pettway, "You made this bed." The university wouldn't let him set foot on campus until he was cleared through the proper channels.

After starting out in Scooba motivated and focused, Pettway began feeling distant.

"He kind of felt in the middle of the desert," Stephens said. "He never knew if Alabama ever wanted him back."

One phone call changed that.

After catching up with Stephens one afternoon, Saban asked to speak with Pettway.

"I don't know what that conversation was," Stephens said. "But when he got that phone call, it was like he was smiling. I don't want to say he was tearful, but I could have shown him a picture of Old Yeller and it would have sent him over the edge."

Later on, after Pettway had been cleared to visit campus, he and Stephens drove to Tuscaloosa for the first time since his dismissal.
Notice the bolded comment. Now, read this from UA when DJ signed his LOI in December:

"D.J. Pettway was suspended from UA in February 2013 after he was arrested for two counts of robbery," Lane's statement read. "The charges stemming from his arrest are no longer pending. Pettway recently petitioned for re-enrollment to the University. After thoroughly evaluating all aspects of his request, which includes the facts surrounding the February 2013 arrest as well as Pettway's current situation, the University is allowing Pettway to re-enroll for the Spring 2014 semester. Pettway's continued enrollment depends on his ability to fulfill all requirements the University has specifically mandated for him during the remainder of his time as a UA student."
IIRC, his petition had to go before a committee made up of students.

This wasn't a case of a guy being dismissed from school and then allowed 10 months later back on campus. There appears to be no special treatment here. Don't say stuff like "no normal Alabama student would get this treatment" because they would. DJ was granted youthful offender status, so we aren't allowed to see the information with the case. He didn't get Y.O. status because he was a football player.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
This wasn't a case of a guy being dismissed from school and then allowed 10 months later back on campus. There appears to be no special treatment here. Don't say stuff like "no normal Alabama student would get this treatment" because they would. DJ was granted youthful offender status, so we aren't allowed to see the information with the case. He didn't get Y.O. status because he was a football player.
Don't be foolish. You're kidding himself if you don't believe Saban's backing and his skill as a football player assisted him.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I hope this is not going to be one of those threads where everyone is compliaining about DJ Pettaway.. This is sensitive matter... we need to support him whether we like it or not. What happened in the past, is already done. He's back on the team, and he's making the most of it. I wish Espn hasn't done this story especially in the middle of the season.
No, I don't have to support a particular player. I don't wish injury on him but I don't cheer for him.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So we don't know what part DJ took. If he was there and did nothing to stop it, my position is that he should be history at UA. He's big enough to stop this wrong doing. I don't know all the particulars and hopefully there's information we don't know that is in DJ's favor. I said in my original post, if the facts are as they are presented in the article are correct, he should not be at UA. I can forgive a guy, fine, but I wouldn't expect to be at the University if I was guilty of this crime as portrayed in the article.
Of what crime? I have yet to see any evidence that Pettway committed an action of aggression. In your mind, even in the eye of the law, he might have been guilty of a crime. However, has anyone presented any evidence that Pettway committed an act of aggression?

There is no end to the logic that says you blame a person who is present for an action. That's the logic terrorists use when they attack Americans. We're Americans, we go along with American actions in the Middle East, so they kill us. That's a logic that can never end, and it's not actually logical at all. I didn't own slaves, I didn't kill any Native Americans, yet from time to time I'm blamed for both things by extension. The people who commit an act bear the responsibility, and yes, it's wrong to stand by and not stop it, but does that mean the neighbor of a slave owner was guilty of owning slaves? Or, to bring it back to football does that mean McQueary is guilty of raping a child? No, it doesn't. Yes, you can argue that there is blame in all those situations, right down to when an American drone kills an innocent child, all Americans share some level of blame. But it's not all the same! You can't just go around saying, you didn't stop it so you're just as guilty.

Now. I understand that you might be arguing that not preventing an act of violence is unforgivable as well, and that's your right. But, did you intercede in every fight you ever witnessed? Not many people have. Did you stop every parent you saw hitting their child? Would you jump on a cop beating an unarmed man? We all have limits to how far we'd go, don't we? I don't see merely failing to prevent violence as unforgivable. Wrong, yes, but not unforgivable.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You know what I take way from that article? That the Alabama football program isn't just about winning games, it's about molding men. Sure, Bama could have simply discarded Pettway - it's not like Saban has trouble recruiting talented DL players - but instead he offered him the opportunity to work and prove himself ready for another chance.

So now, we have a young man who has had the opportunity to learn from his mistakes and will likely avoid those mistakes in the future.

What would you rather have:
- Pettway kicked off the team and eventually read articles about his arrest(s) for various offenses because no one would give him another chance, or
- after he proves his dedication, working along side him to help him make better life decisions?

In this particular case, as tough as it is and as much as my knee-jerk response is the former, I'd much rather see the latter occur. Pettway has the opportunity to improve himself and become a man of honor, potentially influencing and helping many other players to avoid the pitfalls he initially failed to.

As BlaKe Sims' father said, "I sent a boy to Alabama and they sent me back a man. I know if my son doesn't play another down of football, he is set for life."

And this does NOT come from a 'win at all costs' type of fan...

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Until he gets a sack that helps win a game. I doubt you'll be in your seat.
My life and principals aren't governed based on the outcome of a football game or a player's skill. I don't think he should be a part of his team and I found his active or inactive participation on the violent of assault of a student reprehensible. You and others disagree, that's fine. Coach didn't ask me my opinion so my lack of support carries as much weight as your support.

My life and principals aren't governed based on the outcome of a football game or a player's skill. I don't think he should be a part of his team and I found his active or inactive participation on the violent of assault of a student reprehensible. You and others disagree, that's fine. Coach didn't ask me my opinion so my lack of support carries as much weight as your support.
I find that funny. Really funny. Thanks!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So you're saying beating a man until you have to kick him to see if he's dead is not being a thug? C'mon ...

Where should he be ... Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee
I've said on several occasions on this board that not only did Saban make a mistake letting Pettway back on the team, Bonner made a mistake allowing him to set foot on campus.

Unless something entirely new and exculpatory comes out (and I'd bet every one of my Tide Pride points that if such information existed, it would be out by now), I stand by that assessment.

Forgiveness and redemption do not preclude consequences.

They kicked the victim one last time because they thought they might have ACCIDENTALLY(how, please tell me, is anything about this whole incident an "accident"????) beaten him to death.

Giving the benefit of every single doubt, what he did was nothing less than accessory to attempted manslaughter.

And yes, if he were just another student, he would have been in jail a long time ago.

Last edited:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Being in the wrong place, wrong time may be a lapse in judgement or may be choosing the wrong company, bad, but not uncommon. Not intervening may be saving your own skin. Intervening, even in much less frightening circumstances can be very hard to do for most people. Getting a second chance can save someone and put them on the right track when handled properly. This was terrible, but I trust our staff. I'm betting it was the right decision regardless of football.

I've said on several occasions on this board that not only did Saban make a mistake letting Pettway back on the team, Bonner made a mistake allowing him to set foot on campus.

Unless something entirely new and exculpatory comes out (and I'd bet every one of my Tide Pride points that if such information existed, it would be out by now), I stand by that assessment.

Forgiveness and redemption do not preclude consequences.

They kicked the victim one last time because they thought they might have ACCIDENTALLY(how, please tell me, is anything about this whole incident an "accident"????) beaten him to death.

Giving the benefit of every single doubt, what he did was nothing less than accessory to attempted manslaughter.

And yes, if he were just another student, he would have been in jail a long time ago.
Don't be so sure about that!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IGiving the benefit of every single doubt, what he did was nothing less than accessory to attempted manslaughter.

I always felt that accessory is such a ridiculous crime. What did you do? Well I didn't do anything! Ok then, that's a crime! Clearly, it's wrong to be present and not stop something, but I question if it should be criminal or not.

Secondly, a guy punched me once and I got pretty mad. I put him in a headlock and started dragging him with ill intentions in my mind. I reached my destination, went to change my grip and he slumped onto the ground in a pile. Apparently I had a knack for using a choke hold (it wasn't the last time I inadvertently did that). Now, for a moment I was pretty alarmed about his well being, but does that mean I had attempted to kill him? No...

One must remember Pettway was punished, he was kicked off the team. We know of violent assaults by football players that had limited punishment, for instance a single game. I'd never suggest he didn't deserve any punishment, but he was punished. If he hadn't been punished adequately, I'd be up in arms myself.

We know to an extent the authorities and Alabama football agrees with your perspective, that even being present makes one guilty. He was charged with assault, and he was kicked off the football team. However, clearly his actions were viewed differently. He didn't have to be charged with youthful offender status, and there's no indication at all that the football team had anything to do with it. The other two players didn't get any leniency in the matter. The authorities themselves saw cause to be lenient. Furthermore, in order for him to be allowed to enroll at Alabama, another entity had to see cause for leniency, and finally, Nick Saban had to see cause.

Now, we can argue about this all we want, but the fact is the authorities, the University, and Nick Saban all saw cause to give him a second chance. I am not inclined to argue with their knowledge of the situation.

I absolutely do believe some things are unforgivable. I don't forgive Winston, I don't forgive Penn State football, and I am willing to blame people for not doing anything to stop something. I'm not the type that could overlook that type of thing going on at Alabama, and cheer for the team with the same enthusiasm if they had. I do lay some of the blame on Pettway's feet. However, I don't treat all crimes as being equal, I measure them according to the acts and intentions themselves. Until more comes to light, I have every reason to believe Pettway's crime was of a lesser nature than what the other two did.

Last edited:

shaskell

Feb 12, 2014
If the facts presented in the article are accurate, I don't understand why Pettway is on the campus, much less the team. If he's a thug, he should play for the Boogs or Vols, but not for Bama.

"His current remorse is meaningless" to whether or not he should be here. Of course we're glad Pettway recognizes his error, but he shouldn't be here.

This is correct. the question is whether UA wants to hold to a higher standard at the expense of the football product. These kids always find a home in Knoxville or Auburn, and I think our staff got sentimental and thought that in this case it was ok to sink the program down a level.

Given that a long-tenured head coach is around 5 year and a long-tenured assistant maybe 3, and each SEC win is worth seven figures in all around revenue for a program, college football will continue to migrate in this direction.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Is this DJ's only past transgression? I think I remember reading that it was. The other three all had other run ins with the law either before or after this incident. If this was DJ only transgression I feel his second chance is warranted. It's kinda hard to understand how remorseful and sorry DJ actually was considering he was back the next year though. Then again, as I stated above, I think almost everyone deserves a second chance..
Only? The kid was nearly beat to death. Thank God it wasn't a rape. Would you be saying "Is this DJ's only past transgression?" in that case?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.