The Making of Blake Sims, ESPN Article

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I have a feeling Blake is going to be serving up Landshark fillets for dinner after the game Saturday.
Shark meat can be oily and have a weird taste. Tell Blake to soak it in buttermilk for about an hour before he throws it on the grill. :wink:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Great story. I don't know if Blake Sims will have the stats to win the Heisman but whoever does win it should also have at least half the character that Blake Sims clearly has. Couldn't be prouder that he is our QB. RTR!!!

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Incredible article. Let me point out, if you didn't watch the video(above the article) where the analysts debate whether they'd rather have Blake or Bo Wallace, you really ought to watch it.
Joey Galloway gets bashed a bit around here and it's mostly deserved, but he gives Blake a pretty darn great review. One idiot says that Wallace "has more weapons around him", and I was like "WHAT"?
I wonder if some of these guys even know what they're talking about. Non the less, not trying to hijack the the thread. Thanks for posting. Great piece of journalism.
sip

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Incredible article. Let me point out, if you didn't watch the video(above the article) where the analysts debate whether they'd rather have Blake or Bo Wallace, you really ought to watch it.
Joey Galloway gets bashed a bit around here and it's mostly deserved, but he gives Blake a pretty darn great review. One idiot says that Wallace "has more weapons around him", and I was like "WHAT"?
I wonder if some of these guys even know what they're talking about. Non the less, not trying to hijack the the thread. Thanks for posting. Great piece of journalism.
sip
Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. It was Joe Schad. He said Bo Wallace has better skill players to work with. These guys just say whatever they want though. The other two analysts were very pro-Blake.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Credit a strong support group that did not give up on Sims along with hard work and determination on Blake's part. I wish this young man the best!

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Sims was recruited as a QB. It would be interesting to know if Sims expected to be a backup RB at Alabama as an underclassman or if his athleticism earned him that role once they started practice.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Sims was recruited as a QB. It would be interesting to know if Sims expected to be a backup RB at Alabama as an underclassman or if his athleticism earned him that role once they started practice.
Blake was given an opportunity to try out at QB, but he was moved around when AJ and Phillip Sims were the top 2 guys at QB. When PS left, Blake and Phillip Ely were competing for AJ's backup. Blake eventually won the #2 spot, and Ely subsequently transferred. Blake was viewed by most fans as spot holder until Bateman developed, but like with Coker, Blake just refused to give up the job. You have to admire his will and determination to earn the starting spot.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Blake was given an opportunity to try out at QB, but he was moved around when AJ and Phillip Sims were the top 2 guys at QB. When PS left, Blake and Phillip Ely were competing for AJ's backup. Blake eventually won the #2 spot, and Ely subsequently transferred. Blake was viewed by most fans as spot holder until Bateman developed, but like with Coker, Blake just refused to give up the job. You have to admire his will and determination to earn the starting spot.
Thanks! I have been impressed with Sims' determination. He couldn't have picked a better time or stage on which to shine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was recruited as an "athlete." Even though he lacked some of the measurables as a QB, he was just too good all around to let another school sign him...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.