Being alumni of the college = "real fan"?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not to derail all the good football discussion but I've got a bone to pick with I guess anyone who believes that if I didn't go to Alabama then I'm somehow not a "real fan" and not eligible to be one. I've "unfriended" a relative on facebook recently because rather than having a good, logical, conversation on how good the SEC West is this season and actually talk about football. He wants to continue to discuss how he "laughs at" those who passionately root for teams like Alabama yet didn't even go to school there. My response, "Who cares? I didn't realize there was an official manual or criteria that said someone cannot be a fan of a team if they didn't attend the college." Why do people hang on this argument? It is about as asinine of an argument as there is out there in college football.

Does anyone else run into this?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Being an alumni of the college="real fan"?

You used to hear it from Auburn fans all the time. Every single one of them graduated from Auburn and are "true fans" while Bryant-Denny is filled every Saturday with "sidewalk alumni" who never set foot on campus otherwise.

You are right, it is one of the most asinine arguments in college football.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

You used to hear it from Auburn fans all the time. Every single one of them graduated from Auburn and are "true fans" while Bryant-Denny is filled every Saturday with "sidewalk alumni" who never set foot on campus otherwise.

You are right, it is one of the most asinine arguments in college football.
I should have known something this stupid originated at the cow college.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Not to derail all the good football discussion but I've got a bone to pick with I guess anyone who believes that if I didn't go to Alabama then I'm somehow not a "real fan" and not eligible to be one. I've "unfriended" a relative on facebook recently because rather than having a good, logical, conversation on how good the SEC West is this season and actually talk about football. He wants to continue to discuss how he "laughs at" those who passionately root for teams like Alabama yet didn't even go to school there. My response, "Who cares? I didn't realize there was an official manual or criteria that said someone cannot be a fan of a team if they didn't attend the college." Why do people hang on this argument? It is about as asinine of an argument as there is out there in college football.

It is a stupid argument for sure. Those of us that did not attend the University, but rather adopted them as our team are everybit as passionate. And while I didn't spend thousands on tuitition there, I sure have invested in a lot of merchandise and travel and tickets over the last several decades...Not to mention some miserable times durign the lean years. Heck how many people are Packer fans that don't live in Green Bay Wisconsin? Roll Tide!

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

The way most fan bases behave, they're better off not claiming many of them at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Agreed that the Barners were the first to use this but the funny thing is with their recent success I think they're getting more "side walk alumni" too. :biggrin:

Difference is they now believe all of their fans that actually didn't go to Auburn all graduated from an Ivy League school and don't shop at Walmart.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN

Yep, I get this all the time from Barners despite being an alumni. And last week I got it from a Vol, too.

Also remember that we only care about Alabama football, but at Aubren they care about the whole school :rolleyes:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

It's an easy knee-jerk, asinine comment to make that requires no thought -- usually made by butt-hurt fans of teams that ain't doing so well. Consider the source. :biggrin2:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Hmmmm...Facebook and opinions of Auburn fans in the same post. Sounds like grounds to yank a man card to me.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

I hope he's not a fan of an NFL team if he's never lived in a state with an NFL franchise.

Are school age kids not allowed to follow college sports or must they forego their fan loyalty if they go to another college or university (for whatever reason, be it scholarship/financial, academic program)?

(For the record, I am a Bama fan. I was born in Dothan. My family moved to Tennessee in my adolescent years. I went to UTC for in-state tuition costs and commuting. If it makes some people feel superior to me for being a "sidewalk fan", I think it says more about them than it does me. Roll Tide!)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I hope he's not a fan of an NFL team if he's never lived in a state with an NFL franchise.

Are school age kids not allowed to follow college sports or must they forego their fan loyalty if they go to another college or university (for whatever reason, be it scholarship/financial, academic program)?

(For the record, I am a Bama fan. I was born in Dothan. My family moved to Tennessee in my adolescent years. I went to UTC for in-state tuition costs and commuting. If it makes some people feel superior to me for being a "sidewalk fan", I think it says more about them than it does me. Roll Tide!)
Masterfully put, Mike...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I was wearing a Seahawks shirt the other day, and I had a customer ask me why the Seahawks where are you from? I said I'm from Alabama. He said why the Seahawks? I said because I like the Seahawks. Haha it was funny.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

Here's a response I think would be fun:

Ask him if a moral victory is a real victory?
Then ask him about moral superiority.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I was wearing a Seahawks shirt the other day, and I had a customer ask me why the Seahawks where are you from? I said I'm from Alabama. He said why the Seahawks? I said because I like the Seahawks. Haha it was funny.
Shaun Alexander had nothing to do with it?

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL

Growing up in MS and being a Bama fan, I heard it all the time...especially the sidewalk alumni crap. Once I graduated in 2004 that idiotic argument was squashed for good. It really is silly since you can't be an alumnus of a MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL team, but you can be a fan. There are so many fan bases that are jealous of Alabama and always will be. They will come up with any kind of argument imaginable to try and make themselves look good or make us look bad. True fans of the Tide are some of if not the most loyal in any sport. I am proud to be a fan first, alumnus second, and I am happy to call any real fan of the Tide a brother/sister whether they ever stepped foot in Bryant-Denny, went to class in Bidgood Hall, or just listened to Eli and company on the radio for 10 years. RTR!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I agree it's a ridiculous argument.

It is also possible to have a grad of a school who is indifferent to how the school's team does.

You don't have to have gone to a school to be a fan... and just because someone might have gone to a particular school doesn't guarantee they are a fan of that school's team either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.