THIS is why you don't stretch the ball into the endzone...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Saban and Meyer (and Tressel before Meyer) teach their backs NOT to do that. Their philosophy is that the risk outweighs the potential reward. If you are close enough that stretching the ball out might get the ball to the goal line, and you need to do so, you re surrounded by defensive players. There is no way to know where the swat will come from and protect the ball if you stretch it out. Cover it up, fight to get into the end zone, and kick the FG if necessary.
If that`s the case, then it`s a showboat move.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If that`s the case, then it`s a showboat move.
Some of the players that have done it are not showboats - TJ Yeldon, for example. He is simply following his intincts and desire to score. It probably worked out well for him against inferior talent in high school. You have to unlearn some of those old habits.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Some of the players that have done it are not showboats - TJ Yeldon, for example. He is simply following his intincts and desire to score. It probably worked out well for him against inferior talent in high school. You have to unlearn some of those old habits.
^^ This -- closer to the truth than "showboating." Natural tendency to win. When you get to the next level though you're right -- you have to fine-tune your mind and game.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
And oh yeah... in the SECCG against UGA, Eddie Lacy did this and got the ball slapped out and recovered by the Dawgs. It was clear however that Lacy had the ball over the line. Some calls just don't go your way even on "further review."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
When a runningback is "in the zone" playing at the top of his game instinct often takes over. When a guy is that close to the goal line, and feels like he can reach it across, I think more often than not, his instinct to score is motivating him rather than a play for self-glory.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It seems that almost any time any RB gets anywhere close to the goal line they start leaning forward and sticking the ball out away from their bodies. IMHO that`s setting yourself up. It`s hard for me to believe that a RB, coming to college, that has to learn how to block (didn`t have to in HS, for the most part) because he has to in order to play, can`t learn to keep the ball tucked. I would imagine it just requires the proper "motivation". Then again, maybe I`m looking at this all wrong.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
When a runningback is "in the zone" playing at the top of his game instinct often takes over. When a guy is that close to the goal line, and feels like he can reach it across, I think more often than not, his instinct to score is motivating him rather than a play for self-glory.
I guess instincts have changed. I`m an old guy and have watched football a long time. I can`t recall a RB from one of Coach Bryant`s teams, and even later for that matter, doing this. Maybe I just don`t remember, however.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
And oh yeah... in the SECCG against UGA, Eddie Lacy did this and got the ball slapped out and recovered by the Dawgs. It was clear however that Lacy had the ball over the line. Some calls just don't go your way even on "further review."
I believe AJ actually recovered that fumble, we were lucky he did cause it bounced way into the backfield and would've been an easy scoop and score. It's actually interesting cause the play was very similar to the play that Copeland for LSU fumbled against us on. In that case Mett was in the background making the touchdown sign and wasn't able to attempt to recover the ball. AJ made a good awareness play to react to the fumble.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess instincts have changed. I`m an old guy and have watched football a long time. I can`t recall a RB from one of Coach Bryant`s teams, and even later for that matter, doing this. Maybe I just don`t remember, however.
It didn't happen back then , I don't even know if the refs would signal a touchdown if it happened in the sixties and seventies. But times have changed, the game has changed. I have mixed feelings on it. Don't think the kid was showboating, just trying hard to win the game. I know he was crying on the bench after the play .

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
This is the dumbest rule in football. They offense should retain possession in these cases. If the other team got possession, you understand the touchback. But normally the offense get the benefit of the doubt on other possession calls, like a ball going out of bounds, simultaneous possession, etc. The offense should keep the ball on the 20, spot of the lost ball, or whatever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.