THIS is why you don't stretch the ball into the endzone...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
1) The odds of something like this are pretty small. To generalize and say this is the reason not to stretch is silly. This rarely happens.

2) Hard to fault a guy for giving all his effort in trying to help his team win.

3) Regardless the outcome, that is one heck of a leap.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Happened to UT last year I think to prevent a victory not sure who against. I think it was Ezekiel Knight that did it for us against LSU a couple years back.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Happened to UT last year I think to prevent a victory not sure who against. I think it was Ezekiel Knight that did it for us against LSU a couple years back.
Pretty sure Zeke was moved over to defense in Coach Saban's first year. He played JACK and played it pretty well if I remember right.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It happened to UT against Georgia last year.....then this year UT fumbled in their own end zone. UT blew both of those games.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Didn't Mike McCoy try stretching for a TD against LSU in 2008...only to lose the ball right before reaching the goal line?
Came here to say this. Early in the game, 3rd or so series or maybe just into the second quarter against LSU, at LSU, we turned the ball over or settled for a field goal instead of a TD.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Simply put if you fumble the ball on a play like that you are being selfish, period. That's been quoted by more than one coach that get paid a heck of a lot more money than any of us bums. I hate it when they do that crap, I understand the effort from the kid, but being smart and a team player will win more games than taking a chance on pitching the ball out of the back of the endzone, if its the last play of the game with no time sure go ahead but if you still got time on the clock, and they did, then get all you can and go for the pilon with the ball tucked away. But hey he got his espn moment that's all that really matters now days.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
My point was that it wasn't necessary for him to stretch in the first place. His momentum probably would have carried him into the end zone anyway, and if he didn't, Houston has the ball 2nd and inches with 24 seconds on the clock. Why take the risk if you don't need to? The only reason you'd need to stretch would be 4th down and/or out of clock.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Exactly nail meet hammer! Its a hot dog move. Why not live for another snap.
My point was that it wasn't necessary for him to stretch in the first place. His momentum probably would have carried him into the end zone anyway, and if he didn't, Houston has the ball 2nd and inches with 24 seconds on the clock. Why take the risk if you don't need to? The only reason you'd need to stretch would be 4th down and/or out of clock.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I was watching some of that game last night while also watching the Packers.

At first I thought he scored, but the official got it RIGHT. The defensive player made the play of the night. Sometimes you do win games by a matter of a very few inches. UCF did that last night against the Houston Cougars.

Maybe that Official needs to move to the SEC. An excellent call.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since it seems everybody does it, are they taught to do that?
Saban and Meyer (and Tressel before Meyer) teach their backs NOT to do that. Their philosophy is that the risk outweighs the potential reward. If you are close enough that stretching the ball out might get the ball to the goal line, and you need to do so, you re surrounded by defensive players. There is no way to know where the swat will come from and protect the ball if you stretch it out. Cover it up, fight to get into the end zone, and kick the FG if necessary.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I coached for years and if they do teach this it is something fairly new and it is a very risky, poor technique that can cost you big time. You must be smart. Hustle is one thing, being a sport center hot dog is another. If you have time and another down don't do it, just put two hands over the ball cradle it and blow up whatever is in the way. There is no reason other than highlight reel watch me selfishness. Heck if you want to be stupid just spike the ball, dunk it, or do some silly dance but at least score the friggin TD or get it as close as you can so one of your other TEAM MATES can.

QUOTE=Tideflyer;2470307]Since it seems everybody does it, are they taught to do that?[/QUOTE]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.