Betting Line Going Back towards Ole Miss

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Haven't bet in over 5 years, but thought this game was too good to pass up, so I got my bet in on Tuesday. Took Bama and laid 7 points, thought it would go up from there. Now some places have it at 4 1/2. Who are these people betting on Ole Miss? They must know alot more about football than me.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Haven't bet in over 5 years, but thought this game was too good to pass up, so I got my bet in on Tuesday. Took Bama and laid 7 points, thought it would go up from there. Now some places have it at 4 1/2. Who are these people betting on Ole Miss? They must know alot more about football than me.
It's called people betting with their hearts and it's not very smart. ;)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It tells me that some people are concerned that Sims, though sporting gawdy stats, is untested and this is his first outing against a ranked opponent on the road. Add in all the distractions about this being the 45th anniversary to the exact day of the famous game between the two programs in 1969 and I think many have pointed to this game as a possible upset.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd have to second the notion that uncertainty over Sims is probably driving a lot of this. If Sims is healthy, I have confidence in him, but there is some doubt there, because there's a difference between being 90% and 100%. I think he'll be fine, but that raises some doubt.

There's also a bit of concern about playing on the road, getting plays in, that sort of thing, but I think the extra week of preparation should mitigate that sort of thing. I think that gives enough cause for the people that still doubt Sims to question how he'll perform.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
It is why most wise Bama fans don't bet on Bama. It is hard to see objectively your own team. Bama's D does not scare people like it used to. Knowledgeable fans of other teams used to think they had little chance because of the strength of Bama's D. Most I talk with this year think Bama can be had on D. That is why the line is going down. I heard a Vegas analysis that the smart money was on Ole Miss; that Bama was not as strong on the d line and shaky in the secondary. Bama fans may not agree, but that is the perception of other team's fans and people who bet. It is not Ole Miss fans driving the line down; not alone anyhow. Having said that; I think Bama covers.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It is why most wise Bama fans don't bet on Bama. It is hard to see objectively your own team. Bama's D does not scare people like it used to. Knowledgeable fans of other teams used to think they had little chance because of the strength of Bama's D. Most I talk with this year think Bama can be had on D. That is why the line is going down. I heard a Vegas analysis that the smart money was on Ole Miss; that Bama was not as strong on the d line and shaky in the secondary. Bama fans may not agree, but that is the perception of other team's fans and people who bet. It is not Ole Miss fans driving the line down; not alone anyhow. Having said that; I think Bama covers.
What team are they watching? Our secondary was shaky in the opening game and those issues have been addressed. Our D line is playing very well also. SMH.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
What team are they watching? Our secondary was shaky in the opening game and those issues have been addressed. Our D line is playing very well also. SMH.
Idk I've read several articles questioning our pass protection like it has been some kind of issue this year. I honestly don't know where they get this stuff that they criticize bama with. If anything I would say our offensive line has been better at pass blocking than run blocking most of the time.

I come away with the conclusion that these writers are just writing what they want to believe and not even watching the games.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It tells me that some people are concerned that Sims, though sporting gawdy stats, is untested and this is his first outing against a ranked opponent on the road. Add in all the distractions about this being the 45th anniversary to the exact day of the famous game between the two programs in 1969 and I think many have pointed to this game as a possible upset.
I might mention that Bama won that history making game.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
the last two years it has been the secondary, because the media is unsure of the changes made with a freshman, and a sophmore the key at corner. yes, our off line blocks well with the pass, with sims rolling out, but, our off line does not block well inside the tackles. I think the def line is better, but, losing mosely is still a problem. I think our secondary will improve with brown, and Jackson, but, it will take another game to solidify the corner. I am hoping Jackson comes in at guard and makes a difference. we have improved our kicking game a lot, and our offense is strong with lane there. miss is not good at running the ball, and inconsistent when Wallace has pressure. expect a win.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I agree with those who say Sims is a key to it. Our mods to a great job of keeping goofy rumors at bay, but ever since the end of the Florida game there has been all kinds of weird stuff about his health, none of it based in fact as far as I can tell. Also, people who haven't been there assume VHS is an SEC on-campus stadium providing the same crowd/home team advantage as BDS, LSU or maybe even TA&M. It's just not. That is NOT a slam at Mississippi or its fans, it's just there's a difference in an open end 60,000 seat stadium and some place like College Station or Baton Rouge. I don't worry about Sims having major issues because of it -- we may take a delay or two or have linemen move a time or two. I don't think the late money is coming in saying Alabama will lose, just that this will be a nip and tuck type of game and Alabama won't cover.

I also think people are overestimating their defense based on their stats without much consideration to who they have played. I think Mississippi has a better D than Florida, but it isn't twice as good....

Unless we let them get off to a great start offensively, I think we more than cover any of the published lines I have seen.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
I also think people are overestimating their defense based on their stats without much consideration to who they have played. I think Mississippi has a better D than Florida, but it isn't twice as good....

Unless we let them get off to a great start offensively, I think we more than cover any of the published lines I have seen.
Exactly what I've been saying, too. They might be as good as advertised, but you cannot make that judgement based on who they've played so far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.