Defensive Question

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Do you think that we try to do too much on defense with our LBs and DBs? We are out of proper alignment, blow coverages and just look confused at times. Smart and Saban are excellent coach's but I wonder if they throw too many things at them?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
People forget that this is probably the least experienced defense we've had under Saban. We are starting a lot of players who were barely on our two deep roster last year. Aside from that, the loss of Sunseri has hurt us more than any of our losses. I love Collins, but he's having to do too much in the secondary because of the lack of support around him. This is causing him to second guess himself, be out of place, and take him away from his strengths. The defense will gel more a the season goes along, but we are probably still a year away from having the smothering, dominant defense that we are used to.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I don't know for sure. The back shoulder is hard to defend. Tony Brown did some good things but he is a true freshman. We will get better as we go but hand it to OM, they schemed up some good plays and executed them too.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
IMO, we have high expectations for our db's and lb.'s. Games like this make me question our schemes but after a day or two I accept our track work over the CNS era. I do have trouble with how our db's play man coverage. Just a day of humbling I suppose... RTR

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
We got some young guys and we still play a lot of man coverage. Some learn as you go.

We could play more zone but that's not what we do. And we'd look like a Kines defense

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yes, I think we need to simplify the defense sometimes. They weren't going that fast. We simply lined up incorrectly or blew assignments in the secondary. Landon Collins is usually a great player, but not today. As I said earlier this year, we miss Sunseri. I thought Ragland had a great game.

We also had critical injuries that hurt. Duvall, Drake, And Kelly in one game is tough.

There is still lots of season left and we'll see who is left standing at the end. There are no "gimme's" on our schedule. We still have tough games remaining. Let rally around the kids and win out.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Our defense this year has not been dominating but its been good enough to win. Defense wasn't the problem today- mistakes and injuries were. Ole Miss played well enough to win if Bama didn't bring the A game and that's exactly what happened. Two missed FGs, two BIG injuries to key personnel on offense and a handful of critically-timed turnovers and penalties were the reason that Bama lost the game. Ball security trouble on this team is spreading like Ebola.

Last edited:

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
People forget that this is probably the least experienced defense we've had under Saban. We are starting a lot of players who were barely on our two deep roster last year. Aside from that, the loss of Sunseri has hurt us more than any of our losses. I love Collins, but he's having to do too much in the secondary because of the lack of support around him. This is causing him to second guess himself, be out of place, and take him away from his strengths. The defense will gel more a the season goes along, but we are probably still a year away from having the smothering, dominant defense that we are used to.
Agree with this ^^^^^ good points. RTR

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
I have noticed that after the 2012 team I am in fear of the other team getting a huge play everytime they have the ball because we play so soft on defense sometimes. Also our special teams have been playing pretty terrible the past two years. I can be ok with soft defense or special teams for a while but shouldn't we expect it to get better with number one recruiting classes year after year? Soft pass rush and soft coverage is getting frustrating. On the offense it seemed maybe Saban had LK playing very conservative and it come back and bit us. The score would be embarrassing if the refs hadn't spotted us 7 points on the overlooked face mask. I don't post much but I have been following for awhile so I guess I am just venting. Just can't help but wondering if Saban and Kirby should rethink the Defensive strategy.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Do you think that we try to do too much on defense with our LBs and DBs? We are out of proper alignment, blow coverages and just look confused at times. Smart and Saban are excellent coach's but I wonder if they throw too many things at them?

yes. we have way too much talent to be out of position so often. the scheme just isnt working and we dont have experienced elite talent to help make up the difference.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Wonder if you mean big picture or this game in particular. Can't really hang this game on the defense. . Offense scored 10 points.
Not just yesterdays game but overall. How can we continually be lined up wrong and blow coverages. Sometimes IMO, less is more since we are so young. This is not a slam on any coach. Just thinking out loud.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Our defense this year has not been dominating but its been good enough to win. Defense wasn't the problem today- mistakes and injuries were. Ole Miss played well enough to win if Bama didn't bring the A game and that's exactly what happened. Two missed FGs, two BIG injuries to key personnel on offense and a handful of critically-timed turnovers and penalties were the reason that Bama lost the game. Ball security trouble on this team is spreading like Ebola.
Yes sir!

I'd add offensive production.

To the op: I do find myself questioning the pressure the scheme puts on the DBs in particular. Then I snap out of it and remember that Nick Saban is Nick Saban and that I'm me. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.