Holding call on the final drive looked familiar

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I didn't get to see the game so I don't know what happened, but I do know that it is possible to block someone with a closed fist without having hold of any jersey and it will still look like the player is holding. The defender's jersey wrinkles from being pushed upward, but to the zebra across the field, it looks like a hold. Still, why throw that CS flag when much worse is happening on most plays?
The ref called it..ok fine. the problem I had was that he waited to see if Blake made the first down marker before he threw the flag.....

This crew of officials were horrible, even for SEC standards.

The way I see it, the perceived or not missed Facemask call before the half hurt Bama....Personally I think if the facemask is called and no touchdown, Bama wins this game. Why you say.....here is why.

That call fired up OM has they felt they were screwed and made them play harder after being ....ed, but the real deal was that the official crew made sure they did everything in the second half to make up for the missed facemask call...either intentionally or psychologically the refs were going to find anything and everything to call against Bama and not against Ole ..... Crazy but that Cy Jones TD probably led to this Bama loss more than all the other problems on the field.

As bad as Bama played with turnovers, penalties and missed FGs, poor play calling and and miscues on both O and D, Bama still almost won this game......kind of reminds me of the Michael Williams catch/Interception on the goal line against LSU. Hopefully this ends up the same way.

And as far a people rushing the field and tearing down goal posts....that is what mediocre programs do when they win a game. Like it or not Bama lost to a mediocre program and even NCAA knows they have been cheating just to become mediocre. I guess in 2024 I will be feeling the same way or at least every 10 years or so.....not sour grapes, just fact.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
it was a strange call. howard did make a typical inside the arms hold which is legal, and he did hold onto it too long. but, it was a late call, and sims had already beat the play. it had no bearing on the success of the first down. big difference maker, but, I am getting tired of seeing so much of this in our games. we just cannot impose our will on good teams anymore. way too many mental mistakes. we stopped their rushing game, but, could not stop bunched pass plays. landon Collins, had to cover the whole field, and eventually it caught up to him on two bad coverages. he needed some help. either our coaches cant prepare all these 4 and 5 stars, or the players don't concentrate. penalties, poor coverage everywhere. I am prepared for a long season, and bowl where no one wants to play in supposedly.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Good grief, no! Howard's hands never went outside the jersey, as shown on the replay from behind. Grabbing the jersey, as long as the hands stay inside is never called. It would be called on every single play. If the rusher starts to get past the blocker and the blocker maintains his grip, then it's called. It was an odd time to decide to call it...
If that was holding on Howard then Jay Prosch of Auburn last year should be called for about a half of mile of penalties retroactively. What bothered me was how late it was called. Sims was out of bounds and turning around to head back to the field when the flag was thrown.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Good grief, no! Howard's hands never went outside the jersey, as shown on the replay from behind. Grabbing the jersey, as long as the hands stay inside is never called. It would be called on every single play. If the rusher starts to get past the blocker and the blocker maintains his grip, then it's called. It was an odd time to decide to call it...
I haven't seen the replay on the OJ Howard hold in question but I have seen the holding call play in the AU game where TJ was got a 1st and goal at the 2.

In the AU play OJ had his hands legally on the defensive guy who mover away laterally as TJ went around that end. When the AU player moved away OJ took his hands away. I thought it was an extremely picky call and really had no impact on the play other than the play was generally in that direction.

Of course we got a no call on the helmet or face mask fumble before the half so we can't complain about the refs other than they were bad all around.

There were several play that were close to being defended but ended up being pretty big plays on both sides. We batted down two or three of Wallace's passes and were within a fraction of an inch on a few others so as they say it's a game of inches sometimes.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
If Howard would have used Hus feet and swung his hips then the ref would have never had a chance to throw the flag. Just bad technique on Howards part. It was still a nick nack flag that should not get called at the end of a game. You throw those in the first quarter to set the tone, not on the final drive.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.