Paradigm Shift

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, it is. Because Alabama will never lose to Auburn 41-7 and be behind Miss. St 34-10 on it's home field. We are not as good as we have been- no doubt. But LSU is in far worse shape.
yeah real weird

we beat 4 teams that had losing records last year and lost to the 3 that had winning records. glad you guys have the tremendous optimism that lsu sucks and we're still great but facts get in the way of that argument

right now we're a sloppy team that beats up on bad teams and loses to good ones.

weird argument?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Someone said it in another thread, I think it was 92tide, but Alabama and LSU forced the rest of the West to get better. Give them credit - they upgraded what they had in an effort to compete. I'm not sure what the East has done.

I still think Alabama has the winning formula. Problem is we don't have the pieces we used to have. People have gotten hurt, some 4 and 5 stars haven't panned out yet, we've lost valuable talent and leadership early to the NFL, and as I said the competition has greatly improved.

Coach Saban isn't perfect. But no coach is. I'll take what he's given us over any alternative, and I certainly believe he can get the most out of this team.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Bama Buzzard is correct. Ole miss and Miss St have senior returning QB's when everyone else is replacing their's. Both of those teams are also stacked with 4th and 5th year Seniors - no one from those schools is turning pro after only 3 years on campus like in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge.

I do not believe any great shift is occurring- although if Ole Miss is allowed to continue their beyond highly questionable recruiting tactics ( and as many as 12 different schools have contacted the NCAA about them) it will lessen the gap to a great degree. When top kids from Chicago and South Florida start ending up in Oxford it raises more than just a red flag.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I still think this can be a really good Bama team, if we execute. As good as Ole Miss played, if we executed the basic plays - knowing the snap count, blocking without holding, not fumbling - I think we win. The shift in my mind is that talent and coaching at lesser programs have risen to the point where we can't play a bad game and beat them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm convinced. The dynasty is dead and Saban is washed up. This will be my last post here as I am joining ITAT. WDE, everyone.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I'm not so sure about a paradigm shift. I understand where the OP is coming from though. Look.....Bama got beat by an ole miss team yesterday that played better, handled adversity better, and quite frankly was the better team on that given saturday. Gotta tell ya......the SEC west is becoming more and more like the NFL in terms of how teams are evaluated.....its a week to week deal. msu, au and ole miss looked good yesterday, very good....much better than Bama or A & M or lsu.....which wasnt the case last week imo.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
yeah real weird

we beat 4 teams that had losing records last year and lost to the 3 that had winning records. glad you guys have the tremendous optimism that lsu sucks and we're still great but facts get in the way of that argument

right now we're a sloppy team that beats up on bad teams and loses to good ones.

weird argument?
Facts get in the way of a lot of things. Like the fact that we didn't lose 3 games last year (we lost 2). And though we beat 4 teams with losing records, we didn't "lose to the [ones] that had winning records." We only lost to 2 who had winning records. We beat the other 7 with winning records.

When we lose to anybody 41-7, then you can say we're on the same level as LSU. But for now, LSU is decidedly worse than Bama. Seriously, San Jose State and Louisiana Tech both scored more on Auburn than did LSU. Auburn! You know - that team with the incredibly good defense?

Do we seem to be a little off from our pace of the last 5 yrs? Yes. Maybe. It's hard to tell. We're a different team for sure, with a different identity from what we're used to as Bama fans (defense and ground-and-pound). But Ole Miss went into this game ranked #11 in the country (AP/Coaches) and will likely come out of it somewhere around #5 or #6. They appear to be a very good team and have been recruiting very well the last two years. And we lost to them at their house after losing several key players to injury. No big shame in that and it doesn't mean we now suck. Get a grip.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bama is a team with a very good rush defense, spotty pass defense, below average special teams (in every phase except punting), an okay O line, the best WR in the nation, good RBs (not great), and a good QB. It's also a team that seems to enjoy turning the ball over in its own territory (3 times in 2 games leading to TDs each time).

This team is good. It's not a great team. It could be very good, but after 5 games the turnovers, poor ST play and sketchy O Line play aren't anomalies - it's who we are

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The only shift I have seen in the past 2 years -- is Turnover Margin and Penalties --

Saban plays a "don't shoot yourself in the foot" process -- that's been our Golden Ticket.

If we limited the penalties, and hold on to the football we win yesterday --

So, all of this other venom and whining spewing from everyone is pointless. It wasn't Kiffin's fault. It wasn't Saban's fault. It wasn't Smart's fault. OTHER than the fact that they have NOT been able to get the kids to "quit shooting themselves in the foot" --

Eliminate the stupid penalties and hold onto the football - you win. period

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The only shift I have seen in the past 2 years -- is Turnover Margin and Penalties --

Saban plays a "don't shoot yourself in the foot" process -- that's been our Golden Ticket.

If we limited the penalties, and hold on to the football we win yesterday --

So, all of this other venom and whining spewing from everyone is pointless. It wasn't Kiffin's fault. It wasn't Saban's fault. It wasn't Smart's fault. OTHER than the fact that they have NOT been able to get the kids to "quit shooting themselves in the foot" --

Eliminate the stupid penalties and hold onto the football - you win. period
That is a big part of it. Saban said after Florida win it would cost us and yesterday he was right. But that still doesn't excuse the bad playcalling and the overly conservative approach on offense we took. It magnifies the turnovers and penalties. With the weapons we have on offense you go after people. I'd rather lose in being aggressive than lose in trying to be too conservative.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Smith,
Your premise is wrong. First, you can't put Bama and LSU in the same catagory right now. LSU is not a good team right now. Second, it wasn't about offense as much as defense yesterday. OM just outplayed us by making fewer mistakes, but it was not innovative offense that beat us, it was too many mistakes.

A paradigm shift would be when somebody other than the big boys start winning more than just an upset game or two. I still think the west runs through the state of Alabama, but next week we'll be in the uncomfortable position of needing to root for an Auburn and A&M win.
I think you missed the point entirely. Re-read.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That is a big part of it. Saban said after Florida win it would cost us and yesterday he was right. But that still doesn't excuse the bad playcalling and the overly conservative approach on offense we took. It magnifies the turnovers and penalties. With the weapons we have on offense you go after people. I'd rather lose in being aggressive rather than lose in trying to be too conservative.
I'm fine with Conservative.....IF we don't turn it over. It's an excellent strategy - and has worked. Even last year VS Auburn -- penalties and stupid plays cost us that game.

You can't even look at the OU game -- we have the mindset where we don't play exhibition games....our heart wasn't in it.

I'm also starting to think we are better off without Bye weeks before big games.... (but who'da thunk Ole Miss would be the biggest game of our season)...geez.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
That is a big part of it. Saban said after Florida win it would cost us and yesterday he was right. But that still doesn't excuse the bad playcalling and the overly conservative approach on offense we took. It magnifies the turnovers and penalties. With the weapons we have on offense you go after people. I'd rather lose in being aggressive than lose in trying to be too conservative.
If we execute and don't get penalized and don't fumble, the play-calling was fine.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If we execute and don't get penalized and don't fumble, the play-calling was fine.
But when you're not executing the game plan you make changes. Of course if they execute the playcalling is fine. But when they're not executing odds are it means the defense is playing a part in why we're not executing. The play calling didn't challenge their defense. We made it very easy for them on defense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'm not so down on the O-line we had some yards rushing and Blake had time to throw the ball.
The O-line is not bad by any means, but not nearly as dominant as we've had. The last 2 years have produced lines that make way too many mental errors - Arie was the worst last year, Brown is that guy this year. The TE's have not blocked near as well as others have either, and that has been a big difference as well. Bozeman was thrust into the worse case scenario on the road in a tight game, but besides the getting the snaps off and causing us to burn 2 TO's, he actually got a good push on running plays.

I do believe that the O-line played well enough to win. Fumbles and pass defense cost us this game more than anything.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
The paradigm has shifted. When it comes to Ole Miss and Mississippi State, just being able to be competitive with Alabama constitutes a change in the established order. Give those programs some deserved kudos - contending is huge step forward.

The next few years, I'd still expect Alabama to beat these teams more often than not. We can't make the mistakes we've been making. The margin for error is smaller than ever before; that's the paradigm shift IMO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll give you a paradigm shift. In 2010 Auburn was allowed to play a player even after it became widely known, and openly admitted that his father shopped him. Around the same time the NCAA said they were not going to do anything to Auburn, Ole Miss managed to land almost every top uncommitted recruit on their list and had their best recruiting class ever.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The sky isn't falling and we are very capable of playing championship football down the stretch this year and beyond, but nobody can deny we are entering an era of greater parity across the SEC. The streak of national championships and the explosion of games on TV have vaulted our league to a new level. More players want to play in this league, boosting the talent level of the middle-tier SEC teams (many of which play newfangled offenses that are attractive to some players) at the expense of comparable Big 12, Big 10, and ACC programs. It's brought those teams in our conference closer to top-level teams. It will be harder to run the table going forward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.