Cecil Hurt Article

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This.

If not a fluke, then a HIGHLY-IMPROBABLE play to decide the game.
Maybe this, but not a fluke; a fluke was the tipped pass-reception-for-TD vs Georgia, or Ingram's fumble in the IB that went 20 yds straight one foot inside the boundary. Running a missed fg back for a TD is a good play, not a fluke.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
then it would seem he needs to simplify his schemes because the only other option would seem to be recruiting guys he knows won't be gone in three years which means intentionally recruiting lesser talent.
It can be done. "Lesser talent" term being used loosely. I think Vinnie Sunseri is a good example. I doubt Coach Saban ever thought he would leave early. And would be a great influence last year/this year (due to injury).

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I think AU will outscore MSU. Maybe get a lucky break here or there. Ultimately they win. Same for AU's game against Ole Miss. Basically, I don't think either MS team can stop AU's offense.

I'm not that sold on MSU at this point. They barely held on to win against a weak LSU team and they beat aTm, who has a weak defense. But I do think they'll beat Ole Miss - mainly because Prescott is better than Wallace.

That brings it all down to the Iron Bowl. After last year's fluke win we'll be ready to exact some revenge. Our offense matches up better against their defense than their offense against our defense. It will be a close game, but I think we come out on top.

auburn had a late winning drive to beat MSU in auburn last year with all that talent on their offense. MSU will beat au this year in Starkville. Ole miss also gets au in Oxford, au will lose both away games in the state of Mississippi this season. just my 2 cents.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
So it's either super complex or high school scheme and nothing in between, eh?
I am sure it is super complex when compared to a high school scheme. I believe we do recruit very cerebral players for a reason for our defense. Seems like these kids like getting a paycheck when their playing days are over at the Capstone so they may not be so upset with the scheme being so complicated. We might could "dumb it down" as some say, but the other team would see right through it. We just need Eddie Jackson healthy along with the others. We just haven't had consistency yet. Once they start playing week after week together, it might all come together.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I would like to suggest that we not use selective statistics, e.g., reaching back to last season.

We are 4-1 this season, going forward. I bet Ole Miss will lose one game, most likely two. And that is all we need for us to control our own destiny.
Shoot, if I was a betting man I'd bet Ole Mi$$ loses this weekend.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
During the regular season, against a highly ranked opponent, it seems we always lose these types of games. Does anyone else feel this way?
I don't.
09 - Beat #7 VaTech & Beat #9 LSU.
10 - Beat #7 Florida & Beat #10 Arkansas (Lost to #2 Auburn) - LSU & USCe weren't top 10 teams.
11- Lost to #1 LSU, Beat #1 LSU.
12 - Beat #8 Michigan, Beat #5 LSU (aTM was ranked #15)
13 - Beat #6 aTM & #10 LSU.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Yeah...rolled up almost 400 yds on the best defense in the SEC. :rolleye2:
Seriously, Bama played poorly>ol spit played greatly.
As for ol spit losing two, if both Bama and ol spit win out (which I do not see happening but anything is possible), Bama is in the playoffs with maybe another shot at ol spit.

If both Bama and OM win out, OM goes to the SECCG, and Bama has to get into the playoffs as the second SEC team/non SEC champ...I don't see the committee doing that, but, as you say, anything is possible...RTR!!!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
we did not play bama football. our guys as a team just did not do anything that looked like a winning team. what a difference a week makes. we physically, destroyed a good fla team. you cant win with the number of penalties, turnovers, missed field goals, poor special teams play, poor secondary play, rush game that can only run to the left side of the line. utilizing two receivers. a qb still developing on the field, even a few errors is costly against a good team, on the road. I also question the ability of our coaching staff to motivate this team consistently, and the missing leadership on the field, especially on defense. I disagree, with some that think miss st and auburn will be wins without some serious upgrade in aggression, putting pressure on the other team and their coach.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Something that's never happened before in the history of the game is a fluke.
From Merriam Webster (since we are not talking about a part of an anchor)

Definition of FLUKE

: an accidentally successful stroke at billiards or pool

: a stroke of luck <the discovery was a fluke

No way that was a "stroke of luck"; sorry. It was something the barn hoped to accomplish and they did.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I got worried last week when I saw numerous posts about how we couldn't possibly lose and even an entire thread devoted to it - I just don't get why people think we'll lose to Ole Miss http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232501 . I saw the same thing here last year before the Iron Bowl. Even a lot of talk about how we couldn't lose because Marshall/Wallace were so poor. If so many felt that way here, it makes me wonder how some on the team felt. The problem may be in the mirror. No team is invincible.
We've got to be one of the most screwed up fan bases around. If fans don't have an optimistic outlook on games then they are "haters", "negative people who live miserable lives". Yet when we post optimistic outlooks we're in the wrong too. LOL! Good night alive. I'm not directing this at you but am simply using your post as an example of how people can't win for losing.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We've got to be one of the most screwed up fan bases around. If fans don't have an optimistic outlook on games then they are "haters", "negative people who live miserable lives". Yet when we post optimistic outlooks we're in the wrong too. LOL! Good night alive. I'm not directing this at you but am simply using your post as an example of how people can't win for losing.
I agree but there is a big difference between being optimistic, which is fine, and thinking that we cant lose (excessive unrealistic optimism) - the other team sucks, their QB is cant throw, their coach is a fool, etc. I saw some of it last week and also before the IB. I have to wonder if any of this attitude is shared by any of our players. I will say that TJ and JK didn't let this get to them.
Then when we dont win, some of the excessively optimistic swing 180 thinking the world is ending.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
That's my feeling as well. I think something happened during the half that got in our guys heads. Maybe it was seeing Drake in the locker room.
Same thing happened a few years ago at BDS, under Shula. I think we were playing South Carolina, and one of our receivers---Keith Brown, maybe?---went headfirst into a metal guardpost/rail in the northwest endzone. He was OUT, looked to be paralyzed. It was so bad they brought his mother out of the stands. The whole stadium was still and quiet for nearly 45 minutes while they checked him out and eventually got him out of there. He was ok, but when he left the field, we were all thinking the worse, and the players had NO IDEA the condition of their fallen comrade. Up to that point, we were tied, or at least competitive. However, after that, the focus was gone and we ended up getting blown out at home.

I say that to say this: Field injuries, especially gruesome ones, absolutely have a detrimental psychological affect on the team receiving them. That's a friend on the field, and every last player starts wondering to himself, "Am I Next?". That all gets into one's psyche and leads to lack of focus, and often, lack of performance.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I say that to say this: Field injuries, especially gruesome ones, absolutely have a detrimental psychological affect on the team receiving them. That's a friend on the field, and every last player starts wondering to himself, "Am I Next?". That all gets into one's psyche and leads to lack of focus, and often, lack of performance.
Especially since it appears that Drake's injury was a bit of a fluke injury. He didn't run head first into the goal post or something. I still haven't been able to see how he actually broke his ankle.

HELENKELLERMRI

1st Team
Apr 19, 2008
The Shoals
Especially since it appears that Drake's injury was a bit of a fluke injury. He didn't run head first into the goal post or something. I still haven't been able to see how he actually broke his ankle.
There was a photo on Facebook that had illegal chop block lol that showed a defender diving low while he was planted to make a step. The poster was corrected pretty quickly since couldn't be a chop block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.