Is there such a thing as having too much talent on your team?

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I know how crazy that sounds but could having so many talented players that you try to get them all involved, actually be hurting the team as a whole? I mean you have these players going in for this situation and then another set of players going in for the next situation, but never really possessing or having any kind of rhythm as a team.

It looks to me as they are having all kinds of issues subbing and getting the calls called correctly not to mention audibles before a play starts. How can any player get into any kind of rhythm constantly going in and out of the game? I remember playing basketball in High school and when a player gets in a rhythm, you left him out there until he started to get tired and making mistakes.

As well as coach Saban has recruited, could he have actually recruited to well? I mean he has so many talented players at his disposal that maybe he is sacrificing rhythm and continuity for depth and keeping players fresh. Being fresh does not always mean you are not subject to mistakes and continuity issues.

Just a thought, stupid as it is lol! Ok let me have it!!! ;)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I know how crazy that sounds but could having so many talented players that you try to get them all involved, actually be hurting the team as a whole? I mean you have these players going in for this situation and then another set of players going in for the next situation, but never really possessing or having any kind of rhythm as a team.

It looks to me as they are having all kinds of issues subbing and getting the calls called correctly not to mention audibles before a play starts. How can any player get into any kind of rhythm constantly going in and out of the game? I remember playing basketball in High school and when a player gets in a rhythm, you left him out there until he started to get tired and making mistakes.

As well as coach Saban has recruited, could he have actually recruited to well? I mean he has so many talented players at his disposal that maybe he is sacrificing rhythm and continuity for depth and keeping players fresh. Being fresh does not always mean you are not subject to mistakes and continuity issues.

Just a thought, stupid as it is lol! Ok let me have it!!! ;)
I've thought the same.... The 2009 team and to lesser degree, the 2011 team had mostly 3 and 4 star recruits with 5 stars thrown in... The teams the past 2 years have had a lot more 5 star recruits and that can lead to more sense of entitlement. Sometimes you need role players and players who leave it all out there. Look at the NBA, nobody would say the Spurs have the most talent, they have good players in a great system.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
IMO, I do not believe its a case of having too much talent but I do believe we try to do too much with the talent we have. Sometimes, less is more especially with our young defense. I started a post asking about the defense and trying to do too much. We have, IMO, the best coaching staff assembled in college football and I was wondering if we do to many things?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think you're on the right track, but I think it's simpler than that. These highly touted kids leave early year after year, forcing Saban to play another lesser experienced guy, who in turn leaves early. It's not a bad problem to have, but Alabama isn't allowed to have rebuilding years, like ever other team had.

3 year guys, vs. 5 year guys makes a massive difference when it comes to experience.

Consider this, in 2011 FSU was 9-4. In 2011 Auburn was 8-5. In 2013 those two teams played for a national championship. You have a great season, guys leave early, 5 stars are a risk to leave early even if they shouldn't (CK might be an example of that), heck even Vinny left early...

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I don't think Coach Saban looks at how many stars a player was recruited with. I think he's putting them in because they've proven in practice that the team plays better with them in that position, or that it leverages a specific package that he wants to run for competitive advantage.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I was all set to give my answer to this question and then I thought that we have just lost a close game, on the road, to an undefeated and eleventh ranked team, in the toughest conference ..... and I think I will sit on my answer for a few weeks. RTR.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I've had this discussion with everyone from former pro players to college coaches. Talent doesn't equate to leadership. And with the best of the best leaving after three years, teams are experiencing leadership drain. Alabama has become a feeder system for the NFL as most players know from day one whether they will only be on campus three years. It seems to have changed the dynamic of the team.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Great responses. Maybe its more of the coaches trying to do to much with the talent we have than the other way around. You can't help but see all the confusion going on, on both sides of the ball. Of course when and if it all clicks it is a thing of beauty. Can't take away from Ole Miss for sure, they played a great game and beat us! :)

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
I have often thought the same. First I have to remind myself we lost a road game to a good/ranked team that plays us year in and year out and knows our style of play. With that stated I think that we loose so many quality leaders/talent after junior season and this can lead to gaps in key areas. Throw in injuries and situation exist for upset. Another thought is maybe some of the talent does not exhibit leadership. Not everyone can be a leader. Kinda like you can tell some what to do and they do it perfect but they are not capable of making their own decisions nor affecting others in a positive way on their own. And then there are the 3 star under achiever types that bring the constant mentality that they must exceed to prove they belong. Several other types, it takes a healthy combination of all in my opinion. We have the leadership/management at the top (i.e. coaching staff), the trick is the nucleus on the field. RTR

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
IMO, I do not believe its a case of having too much talent but I do believe we try to do too much with the talent we have. Sometimes, less is more especially with our young defense. I started a post asking about the defense and trying to do too much. We have, IMO, the best coaching staff assembled in college football and I was wondering if we do to many things?
I have wondered the same thing for a long time. I think our schemes are so complicated it causes confusion and hesitation at times with younger players. When it all comes together it's a thing of beauty, but it takes time.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have wondered the same thing for a long time. I think our schemes are so complicated it causes confusion and hesitation at times with younger players. When it all comes together it's a thing of beauty, but it takes time.
Our formations can't be that complicated, can they? The NHHU looks like keystone cops ~ surely that is more complicated. Or it is just a chinese fire drill?

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
not a bad thread. i think every team has a place for a "lesser" talent. i go back to the 2009 team and see guys on defense like Reamer and Anders who were "only" 3-star kids but certainly were huge contributors. but you going to not accept the signature of a 4-5 star kid because you think a 2-3 star guy will make a bigger impact? doubtful.

where it confuses me is on special teams. we toss out 10 guys to cover a kick that are top-rated talents and we're sitting 103rd in kick return defense? last years we finished 50th, 67th, 69th, 61st, 61st, 115th, 76th... simply not good enough and while 1-2 years makes a trend, 8 years makes it an issue

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
No doubt that talent is critical to winning championships. But it's not everything. Leadership and "smarts" are also very important. There needs to be a balance of both. For an example of this, just look at the difference in our secondary with/without Sunseri. He was a 3 star recruit, I think, and definitely not the most talented guy in our secondary. But he was a great leader and understood everyone's assignments.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
No doubt that talent is critical to winning championships. But it's not everything. Leadership and "smarts" are also very important. There needs to be a balance of both. For an example of this, just look at the difference in our secondary with/without Sunseri. He was a 3 star recruit, I think, and definitely not the most talented guy in our secondary. But he was a great leader and understood everyone's assignments.
I said something very similar this weekend about the defense with/without Sunseri.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.