Les Miles' future in Whoville

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
i'll be surprised if a 61-year old Miles is in michigan's top 3 wish list and LSU will not easily depart with his buyout clause which is a bizarre number. from jan 2013 after he got a raise:

According to a NOLA.com report, Miles' buyout terms in the proposed deal are in LSU’s favor. If Miles is terminated without cause in any of the first three years of the contract, he receives $15 million; $12.9 million in years four or five; $8.6 million in year six; and in year seven, $4.3 million.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I don't see Miles going to Michigan, even if they offer it to him (which I don't think they will). He has a LOT more young talent at LSU than Michigan has. It is easier to recruit at LSU than it is up north. And there's much more in-state talent in Louisiana. Michigan represents more of a rebuilding process than a 61 year old coach probably wants to take on when he can stay at LSU and either build a young team into a contender or draw a huge buyout if they cut him loose in a year or so.

But I concur that the LSU program has not been the same since that Title Game in the Superdome.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It's amazing how good their '11 team was, even with an average QB. It sometimes surprises me how what-have-you-done-for-me-lately some fan-bases can be.

Be careful what you wish for LSU, "change" is not always an improvement.
Just ask Tennesee.....or Michigan

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
I don't see Miles going to Michigan, even if they offer it to him (which I don't think they will). He has a LOT more young talent at LSU than Michigan has. It is easier to recruit at LSU than it is up north. And there's much more in-state talent in Louisiana.
if you look at it from the POV of comparing to his conference the michigan gig is much more attractive. instead of butting heads with UA, AU, the Miss', hogs, and aTm he'd only have to outrecruit rutgers, indiana, maryland, etc.

also i don't think recruiting has been a big issue with U of M and they have plenty of talent there. rivals has them at #7 2012 and #5 2013.... so not a bad group of upperclassmen to inherit next year.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I agree - had they beat Alabama in the BCSCG, they would probably be recognized as the best college football team in history. Go back and look at the teams that they beat that year, and almost all in huge blowouts. And they did all of this without a single Saban recruit, and while recruiting against Saban for 4 years. Amazing job.

But the loss turned the fans. Their "lovable lunatic" was now to be questioned every time he made an "odd" decision. All because the fans blamed the loss on Miles' refusal to play Mettenberger. Personally, I blame Hebert for the fans' attitude since - he took a great head coach and treated him like court jester. Their fan base has not respected Miles since.
To be fair to Hebert, Miles coached like a court jester that day. I don't think it would have made any difference, but he made absolutely no adjustments in gameplan or personel while getting his butt kicked on the field. It was one of the most bewildering coaching jobs I've ever seen. If you're getting you hat handed to you, you've gotta try something different. Especially in a game of that magnitude.

As an aside, our pastor is an LSU graduate and a huge fan. During the service yesterday, he made a joke about the big loss to AU and said something like "our coach needs to go to Michigan!"

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.