Question: What Happened to Our WR Rotation?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I recall Bama rotating WRs like never before against WVU, FAU and USM. A few of the backup WRs played against Florida, but the rotation pretty much disappeared against Ole Miss.

With Dee White still clearly injured, why did we not play someone over him the entire game? Christion Jones doesn't appear to be the player we saw anytime before the Va Tech game last season, either.

Why aren't we playing guys like Chris Black, Robert Foster, Ardarius Stewart or Raheem Falkins when White is injured and Jones not doing well?

NatchezTider

All-SEC
Jan 13, 2000
Natchez, Ms. USA
good question! supposedly the deepest WR corps in alabama history, yet 2-3 only see the field, and 1-2 actually have opportunities. where's the bama version of using tall receivers over short DBs.....like those who have worn bama out over the past 3-4 years?!?!??!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban touched on that issue several time. Some aren't progessing as one would like, and Why rotate when you have the best receivers on the field.. why take reps from them?
I recall Bama rotating WRs like never before against WVU, FAU and USM. A few of the backup WRs played against Florida, but the rotation pretty much disappeared against Ole Miss.

With Dee White still clearly injured, why did we not play someone over him the entire game? Christion Jones doesn't appear to be the player we saw anytime before the Va Tech game last season, either.

Why aren't we playing guys like Chris Black, Robert Foster, Ardarius Stewart or Raheem Falkins when White is injured and Jones not doing well?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban touched on that issue several time. Some aren't progessing as one would like,
For Saban, that appears to mean they can't run block well. Sometimes, you have to take those lumps in order to get the player's experience and more explosive plays for the offense. After all, Dee White will be gone next season just like Coop and Jones.

and Why rotate when you have the best receivers on the field.. why take reps from them?
Dee White wasn't doing anything on the field Saturday. He's still injured. Christion isn't playing like he did in 2011 or 2012. Honestly, I'm not sure he's not played the same since he had the three scores against Va Tech.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For Saban, that appears to mean they can't run block well. Sometimes, you have to take those lumps in order to get the player's experience and more explosive plays for the offense. After all, Dee White will be gone next season just like Coop and Jones.

Dee White wasn't doing anything on the field Saturday. He's still injured. Christion isn't playing like he did in 2011 or 2012. Honestly, I'm not sure he's not played the same since he had the three scores against Va Tech.
I don't know if run blocking is the issue unless you count the few plays where we throw the ball to a WR at the line of scrimmage. As far as run blocking is concerned our TE's are terrible at it. I won't name any names but one is a senior and should know how by now.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You have to be able to block well on screen passes... Jones and White are real good at it. If you can't block, you won't play.
I don't know if run blocking is the issue unless you count the few plays where we throw the ball to a WR at the line of scrimmage. As far as run blocking is concerned our TE's are terrible at it. I won't name any names but one is a senior and should know how by now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You have to be able to block well on screen passes... Jones and White are real good at it. If you can't block, you won't play.
Great. They can block well on a screen pass.

One is injured and is only a decoy. What is the point in him blocking a screen pass? Especially when we only threw about 3 the whole game.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Great. They can block well on a screen pass.

One is injured and is only a decoy. What is the point in him blocking a screen pass? Especially when we only threw about 3 the whole game.
And if they "block(ed) well" on those screen passes, must've been holding their blocks for a nanosecond - 'cause that's how long it took OM to snuff 'em out.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The one you are referring to just needs to get out of the way most of the time because he certainly isn't blocking a soul.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think White was still very limited on Saturday. Not sure why we put him out there. Felt like playing with 10. The only pass I recall even going towards him was nearly picked off. Jones is the mystery to me.

Of course, I really thought of Drake as a runner/receiver, so we were essentially down two starting receivers for a big chunk of the game. The performance of our TEs is a complete mystery to me. Kind of mind-boggling, actually.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
was expecting some big things from black (crickets), foster (season of crickets), and white (he's had a few plays) while vogler (crickets) and howard (more yikes than yeahs) should be a dominant TE duo

so, agree....not getting the production from WR/TE outside of the obviously one player.

Drake injury is an oppy for some guys to step up just like White injury was. i believe it was a poster on this forum that said a month ago we'll really miss norwood and right now he's nostradamus. i thought we had way too much talent at that position to miss norwood personally...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tonight, Saban said DeAndrew practiced once in the two weeks between the Florida and Ole Miss games. DC Reeves of Tuscaloosa News tweeted he played only 28 snaps against Ole Miss.

Does anyone want to explain why one of our starting WRs practiced once in two weeks?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Tonight, Saban said DeAndrew practiced once in the two weeks between the Florida and Ole Miss games. DC Reeves of Tuscaloosa News tweeted he played only 28 snaps against Ole Miss.

Does anyone want to explain why one of our starting WRs practiced once in two weeks?
Shoulder and toe injuries.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Coop, White, and Jones catch almost every ball thrown to them. I doubt you can say that about the rest. That's not to say they are bad, they aren't. It's just that the three starters are better. I do think we probably should have played black and stewart more last week instead of trotting a banged up white. I realize Jones hasn't had many catches this year but I don't know if he's being targeted as much. AJ Stated this week Jones was his favorite target. Last year we all wondered why Coop didn't get as many passes. Bottom line is that coop is the best receiver in the country and we need to feed the beast.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.