So, not to be unduly positive in this dark, dank atmosphere of negativity, but...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We'll be ok. We have issues to deal with but the talent is there. If we only lose one and win it all, I'll be glaring at quite few negaposters for a while...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We'll be ok. We have issues to deal with but the talent is there. If we only lose one and win it all, I'll be glaring at quite few negaposters for a while...
I think the odds are against Alabama, and a big part of that would be the injuries. Drake does things on offense no other RB can do and you lose a couple other starters and you're limping along... the team couldn't afford to get much more inexperienced.

Anyway, at about this point last year, Auburn had beaten Washington State by a single score, Miss. State by a single score, and they'd lost to LSU by two scores. Who on earth thought they'd win the SEC much less get into the BCSCG? It took luck though, Johnny got banged up at the end of the game, they had miracles against Georgia and Alabama, and luck is part of the equation.

I just wish Alabama fans would be a bit more realistic about things. Alabama could start all true freshman, and have 3 of them get hurt and we'd still have people asking why on earth Alabama can't win with all that 5 star talent and start asking about the coaches.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I noticed that too. I'm not sure why we went away from him and we did it at the wrong time. He had a very good game. We should have won it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the center got hurt during a drive in which Yeldon was an integral part.

They are always going to rotate RBs a bit, to keep them fresh and what not, but after the center got hurt, it obviously impacted all facets of the play calling. Just getting the ball from the center to the QB became an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the center got hurt during a drive in which Yeldon was an integral part.

They are always going to rotate RBs a bit, to keep them fresh and what not, but after the center got hurt, it obviously impacted all facets of the play calling. Just getting the ball from the center to the QB became an issue.
He did, but Yeldon was doing his thing anyway. Remember we were killing them on the left side. They knew it was coming and we still were popping them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the odds are against Alabama, and a big part of that would be the injuries. Drake does things on offense no other RB can do and you lose a couple other starters and you're limping along... the team couldn't afford to get much more inexperienced.

Anyway, at about this point last year, Auburn had beaten Washington State by a single score, Miss. State by a single score, and they'd lost to LSU by two scores. Who on earth thought they'd win the SEC much less get into the BCSCG? It took luck though, Johnny got banged up at the end of the game, they had miracles against Georgia and Alabama, and luck is part of the equation.

I just wish Alabama fans would be a bit more realistic about things. Alabama could start all true freshman, and have 3 of them get hurt and we'd still have people asking why on earth Alabama can't win with all that 5 star talent and start asking about the coaches.
i agree about drake, but he only played in 3 scrimmage plays that i remember in the floridly game (and two of those were fumbles, one by him) i think we will miss him more on special teams coverage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He did, but Yeldon was doing his thing anyway. Remember we were killing them on the left side. They knew it was coming and we still were popping them.
The question I was responding to was when you said "I'm not sure why we went away from him". Alabama used Yeldon aggressively, and the running game in general, but losing a starting offensive lineman, in particular the center is huge in terms of blocking. Knowing it is coming and having your blockers vs. knowing it is coming and not, is a massive difference. That's compounded by the center, who was making bad snaps (not really blaming him, tough position to be in) and was having trouble knowing when to hike the ball at all. I'm not sure what you're trying to say at this point.

Alabama still used Yeldon after the center got hurt, but here's the stats: 6 rushes for 29 yards. So, he averaged 6.7 yards per rush with Kelly in, and 4.8 with him out. That's a huge difference, and it wasn't that they stopped using Yeldon though, his attempts average out consistently, but the effectiveness of the offense overall was impacted. I keep seeing Alabama fans ignore the injuries and blame everything else.

i agree about drake, but he only played in 3 scrimmage plays that i remember in the floridly game (and two of those were fumbles, one by him) i think we will miss him more on special teams coverage.
A lot of the offense sets up certain explosive plays. Losing Drake defanged Alabama's offense to a certain extent. Drake had 6 touchdowns so far! That's not a tiny piece of the offense, that's a big, important part. So, when you draw up all your play calls, there's no doubt that there are certain plays for Drake that no one else can run. There's no other RB on the team that can line up and go deep like he could, so you take him out of the game (especially with the extra coverage Cooper was getting, and White being banged up) and it really took a lot away from what the offense could do.

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
We're at 7. Looking at 1-6, most of them have to play each other. There will be a lot of 1 (or more) loss teams in that top six within a few weeks.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Our boys played hard and left a lot of sweat and blood on that field . I'm not going to sit here in my easy chair and get down on them or the coaches .Drake's laying in the hospital . It' gut check time for the team and reality check time for us fans .

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We are still very much in the hunt. But we can't have another performance like we did Saturday, from the coaches and the game plan to the players and lack of execution. Ring the negatively bell all you want. But there were a lot of issues on display in that game Saturday that we better get fixed or we'll be staring at 9-3 or possibly 8-4. It is gut check time for the entire team, including the coaches. Make no mistake about it. Arkansas definitely got a huge shot of confidence after watching Saturday's game and I'm sure we'll see their A game as well. We're about to find out what this team is made of this weekend.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ole Miss is a really good team. They are a legit top 10 team. If things break their way, they are in the hunt for the whole shebang. We were at their place and had them stonewalled. We started wetting the bed and let them back in the game late and yet we still were throwing the ball into the end zone with a chance to win it at the end.

That was a horrible performance against a really good team and we still should have won the game. I wouldn't have the first hesitation in believing we are going to get the ship turned around starting this weekend, but the injuries do give me pause. We certainly don't need anymore of those.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Isn't it amazing that each and every year we seem to have some transfers that may have developed bad attitudes because of lack of playing time or they just wanted to play more. Then "boom" we get some injuries in the positions that those guys would really be next in line for had they stayed. This is why we keep talking about lack of experience and leadership. We are down two running backs now, so Yeldon and Henry will have an increased workload. I liked Tenpenny last year before Henry passed him. Yeldon will continue to get his chances.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Ole Miss is a really good team. They are a legit top 10 team. If things break their way, they are in the hunt for the whole shebang. We were at their place and had them stonewalled. We started wetting the bed and let them back in the game late and yet we still were throwing the ball into the end zone with a chance to win it at the end.

That was a horrible performance against a really good team and we still should have won the game. I wouldn't have the first hesitation in believing we are going to get the ship turned around starting this weekend, but the injuries do give me pause. We certainly don't need anymore of those.
This is the most frustrating aspect of it. I think most fans can live with getting beat because the other team is better. With all the mistakes, penalties, injuries, not play not to lose game plan, we still were in it right down to the end. That tells me we got beat by an inferior team. But like you, I think these things are fixable. But it is the injuries that are in key positions that concern me. I'm hoping this week the back up center (Bozeman ?) will get a lot reps, get comfortable and will quickly fit into place without any critical hiccups.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
can someone explain what a proper or acceptable level of critique is?

I ask because I'm getting the feeling that saying anything that isn't "we can still win it all" and "everything is fixable" is considered chicken little and throwing the staff and players under the bus.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Alabama still used Yeldon after the center got hurt, but here's the stats: 6 rushes for 29 yards. So, he averaged 6.7 yards per rush with Kelly in, and 4.8 with him out. That's a huge difference, and it wasn't that they stopped using Yeldon though, his attempts average out consistently, but the effectiveness of the offense overall was impacted. I keep seeing Alabama fans ignore the injuries and blame everything else.
4.8 yards per play is an unstoppable drive. :)

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Maybe it is just my opinion, but in recent years, idle weeks seem to hurt us more than help us. I don't know if it is because we step back on our focus or something else. Maybe that will change in the future. I'm not concerned about the center position as there is time to work out those mistakes before Saturday.
The Ole Miss game might be just the motivation to really gel this team. As everyone else has stated, we still have great talent. It is just a matter of playing together as one and execution. I think we will see significant improvement in performance against the hogs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.