Common Core - Building the Machine

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I haven't watched the video (and honestly, I probably won't). But, just to say... If Fox or HBO contacted me asking me to write a TV show for them, the show would be about an urban school district where all the parties have competing goals and don't communicate with each other about those goals...

The board/legislators want big plans and programs for PR purposes and to obtain federal funds; Congressmen just want to pass bills in Education because it looks good on their record

Parents just want their kids to learn (although over half the parents are absent, so the parents get labelled as "just not caring")

Kids just want to make it through to school day safely

New Teachers want to change the world and be heroes to each kid

Old Teachers are calloused and just want to make it through each day and get to summer break

Administrators are just caught in between all of them - getting pressure from higher-ups to make big things happen, getting pressure from parents for learning to occur, all the while just trying to keep kids from being beaten up in the hallways and make sure the students aren't going hungry, etc., and doing it all with a continually decreasing budget despite the system getting more and more funding each year.

And media drives the citizens to focus on other issues that are really secondary. Not saying CC is secondary. Just that media (news media and social media) drives the public's criticisms.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I hope everyone takes the time to watch this. This is something we've been struggling with our two younger boys as far as "I'm stupid" "I don't want to go to school" etc. I found the comments about the child's brain and the developmental process for critical thinking very interesting and as I mentioned, I see a lot of the same behaviors being acted out by my two younger children.

I spend two hours a night with my youngest son reviewing math because "he doesn't get it." Something that is so simple to me, he struggles with, because of the way he is taught in school. I'm having to re-teach him every night. I do plan on having a meeting with the teacher to understand the method she's teaching them because if some of things that my son says she's teaching them is true, she's a blithering idiot and needs to be removed from the classroom.

The over complication of solving seemingly easy math problems is ridiculous.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for posting.

I see some of the same things happening with my grandkids. I think their are all very intelligent, but frustrated with the delivery of this system.

I would NEVER vote for Jeb Bush because of this. Hopefully, he will not run!

Your post where you were talking about the new math that frustrated you and one of your 7th grade children. I have a grandson in the 7th grade also and am seeing the same thing. Is this a National System of Education that is dumming-down even more our kids and frustrating them and directing them into futures that they will not want and/or be happy with?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Many states like Texas say they aren't implementing "Common Core" when in reality they are, but calling it "Texas Assessment & Knowledge Standards" aka TAKS. The federal government holds all states hostage with federal funding if they aren't implementing said federal standards. States, like Texas, can outwardly state "We're against Common Core!" "To Hell with Federal Government mandates!" In reality, however, they are putting lipstick on the pig and calling it something different to make sure the federal dollars keep flowing to the states.

I see it. Just because it doesn't have "common core" on the homework, doesn't mean they aren't implementing it. Once again, it doesn't matter if you are republican or democrat, they are in collusion together.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My view is that federalism works well when you use it.
The proper Federal role in education is to stay the heck out of the way. Any federal involvement in education violates the Constitution of the United States. This is what happens when you let the Federal government tax the people 100 times the level that led to the American Revolution, then tell the people, "We'll give you some of your money back if you bark like a dog, roll over," etc.
The form and structure of education is entirely a function of the state and local level.
I understand the "busybody" aspect of some PhD in education wanting to make an impact, etc., but what goes in ivory towers may not be what works on the ground. What makes a great PhD dissertation may be a disaster in the primary school classroom.
Finally, why any private parochial school would adopt or comply with Common Core is astounding to me. The main benefit of having your kids in a parochial school is that the school to tell the state to go perform an unnatural act on itself. Why adopt the state's bad ideas?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
There's a video produced by Project Veritas showing a book exec saying" "I hate kids, I'm in it for the money." Also, another book seller stating that common core is a creation of the book companies to sell more.

I can't link the video due to some language, but I was shocked. I probably shouldn't be a this point. Google "Undercover common core vid: exec says I hate kids."

Again, there's some language so be forewarned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.