AJ's comment on the team (Very interesting)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Well, I know this.

When we lost to AU, AJ bashed the "younger guys" on the team for not buying in. I also saw him shove Barrett Jones because he saw a mismatch that he wanted to exploit in a game that was already decided.

When we lost to OM, Sims took responsibility and felt like he let his team down, even though he played pretty well. I also saw Blake Sims shove one of his lineman, Cam Robinson, but was because he was wolfing at Florida player after a play.

That's all I know...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
"I don't know if that's Lane doing that or if coach Saban is kind of putting the handcuffs on Lane like I've known Coach to do in the past on his offensive coordinator and we're going to be very bland and run this play and do this and we'll throw it on third down if we have to," McCarron told the Tide 99.1 audience.

I agree AJ needs to keep his mouth shut. But I find this little nugget interesting and more than likely this is exactly what happened Saturday. I've seen it too many times with different OC's to think otherwise.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Kinda sounds like AJ has a beef with CNS...

I agree AJ needs to keep his mouth shut. But I find this little nugget interesting and more than likely this is exactly what happened Saturday. I've seen it too many times with different OC's to think otherwise.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This, and only this. How is AJ helping Saban or Alabama with the rest of his commentary? If I were Saban, I would view it as a betrayal of locker room trust.
he's not. jmho, aj is helping himself (or trying to). i guess it says a lot about our program that a loss creates such a buzz.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OK, I'm not buying that AJ did something wrong here.

He's doing an interview and he's being asked questions and he's giving his opinion. How boring would it be if he was asked a question and he said, "Nobody knows more about coaching than Coach Saban."

The comment about CNS "handcuffing" OCs is interesting.

AJ's made some blunders, but I don't get how it seems everybody hates the guy that walked away from Bama with 3 NC rings and holds almost every record.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's look at each quote mentioned in the article:

"I don't know if that's Lane doing that or if coach Saban is kind of putting the handcuffs on Lane like I've known Coach to do in the past on his offensive coordinator and we're going to be very bland and run this play and do this and we'll throw it on third down if we have to," McCarron told the Tide 99.1 audience. "It's going to be interesting to see how they bounce back against Arkansas this week and what kind of offense comes out this week."
I've been very critical of AJ's comments since last November and still think he needs to shut up. However, I think the above comment holds plenty of merit. It goes with the thought of the coaches coaching not to lose and the players playing not to lose.

"I understand Coop is an unbelievable player," McCarron said. "He was that for us when I was there, but when you target somebody so much ... I think that was one of the best things we did while I was there. We spread the ball around to everybody. I mean, I think in numerous games ... where we had almost everybody on offense catch the ball that was eligible to catch the ball. Teams could never really pinpoint and play their defenses to cover Coop and I think that's one of the things they're struggling with right now.
AJ, the stats for the first four games of this season are better than any team that had you as its QB. Please, don't discuss your time compared to this team.

"I'll tell you one person who I thought I'd see a little bit more out there making plays and get a little more of the offense going toward him is Christion Jones. He was a huge playmaker when I was there. I looked for him all the time. If I saw anyone one-on-one with Christion, I'm going to him. He's an excellent route runner. He's got good hands. I think right now, just this last game, I didn't see a whole lot of balance and spreading the ball around the field. I think they were keying on Coop a little too much and that hurt them."
Christion has only dropped about 4 or 5 passes thus far. He's also fumbled at lease once that I can remember.

Another caller asked about the problem with procedure penalties Alabama's had this season.

"I think one of the things that this team is lacking that hurts them the most is not having the true leaders like we had last year and guys that, when things go bad, 'hey, let's calm everybody down, pick it back up and go back to work and get back on the right track. I feel like when things go bad, this team struggles a little with bouncing back and making good plays."

Back in July, Jones said the leadership on the 2014 team was considerably better than it was in 2013.

Later in the show, McCarron said he sees strong leadership from defensive players like linebacker Trey DePriest and Landon Collins.

"But they have to find that leader on offense, I don't know if that's Austin Shepherd or, with Ryan (Kelly) being out, somebody needs to establish that. Blake needs to step up and do it. It's going to be a tough road."
AJ, you're the only person saying this. Current players say otherwise, and Saban says he likes the chemistry and communication of this team.

Please do us all a favor, AJ, and shut up critiquing this team.

TerryR

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
Only at Bama do we pile on our own team after one loss. :frown: This is getting to be embarrassing.
No disrespect; however, let's see..examining a bad operation and calling it embarrassing? I could go off on a littany of troubling events witnessed on the field. Suffice to say, a few more repeat performances like last Saturday might change your mind - assuming you can look at things objectively. We, as a fanbase, should have high expectations and recognize (call out) a bad situation that could get worse unless they right the ship soon and very soon. I would like for AJ to be judicious in his statements, but sometimes the truth hurts as the old saying goes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
OK, I'm not buying that AJ did something wrong here.

He's doing an interview and he's being asked questions and he's giving his opinion. How boring would it be if he was asked a question and he said, "Nobody knows more about coaching than Coach Saban."

The comment about CNS "handcuffing" OCs is interesting.

AJ's made some blunders, but I don't get how it seems everybody hates the guy that walked away from Bama with 3 NC rings and holds almost every record.
i see no "hatred" for aj in this thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i see no "hatred" for aj in this thread
Lot's of "dislike" it seems. ;)

I just heard the tale-end of a caller on the OD that pretty much said "he's never had anything for AJ" and that he didn't think he was a good qb at Bama.

Kinda left Jay Barker speechless.

I know he's said some controversial things, but this interview seems rather harmless to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.