Link: Austin Shepherd on Leon Brown- "He's got to be more mentally prepared".

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
hmmmmm

Hard to be in favor of current players talking about other players this way to or in media.

OK, team, clam up and focus on next play, next game, etc.

Please.

Thank you.

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I think the coaching staff needs to reiterate what sort of things should be avoided in the press conferences. Seems like maybe a few of our spokesmen have forgotten.

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
At this point, I'd be in favor of Coach Saban just making all players off limits to the press for a few weeks.

I could be completely off-base; but some of the players' comments over the past week don't give off a vibe of 'oneness' on the team.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Players talking negative to the media about other players. Not a good sign.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is one of the things I was referring to in one of the other threads. Say that in the lockerroom....TO Leon, no less; not to a room full of strangers who will distribute it to the masses

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
At this point, I'd be in favor of Coach Saban just making all players off limits to the press for a few weeks.

I could be completely off-base; but some of the players' comments over the past week don't give off a vibe of 'oneness' on the team.
Yep

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I'm really not a fan of the media. This very well could have been taken out of context. At any rate, I would be in favor of no players talking to the media for a couple of weeks. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with the SEC Office, not that I really care if it does.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Players talking negative to the media about other players. Not a good sign.
Well, the guy has probably single handedly racked up 1/4 of all our penalties. I didn't read the article so I'm just assuming you are referring to just Austin Shepard commenting about Leon Brown. Regardless, call him out senior! Leon needs to learn to watch the ball and stop anticipating the snap! And if yelling at Leon during practice ain't gettin it done, maybe a little light public ridicule is in order. It's not like he degraded the mans talent, or said anything awful,he's telling it as it is. Just like when pre season Saban called out Trey DePriest. Ain't nothing wrong with what these guys are doing, I just hope they get better. Much much better. Roll tide!

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
"That’s the only thing you can do," Shepherd said. "You can’t be negative in those situations. He’s a good player. He’s just got to be more mentally prepared. I’ve tried talking to him. 'You just can’t be doing silly things like that. You’ve gotta get it fixed.'"

doesn't sound to bad once the whole quote is out. it sounds more like "come on man, you just gotta concentrate a bit more and you will be fine"

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm really not a fan of the media. This very well could have been taken out of context. At any rate, I would be in favor of no players talking to the media for a couple of weeks. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with the SEC Office, not that I really care if it does.
ATL,

The context was provided within the length of the quote. AS's comments included some nuance and a nod to the bigger picture, but it is very rare for a college player to call out a teammate in that way.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This is probably the most publicly vocal I've heard our players about the team and other players anytime under Saban.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Shepherd-Leon-Brown-has-to-be-more-mentally-prepared-31837891

Not quite as bad as I thought:

But right tackle Austin Shepherd said he and the other offensive linemen have been picking Brown up after the penalties -- and during practice.

"That’s the only thing you can do," Shepherd said. "You can’t be negative in those situations. He’s a good player. He’s just got to be more mentally prepared. I’ve tried talking to him. 'You just can’t be doing silly things like that. You’ve gotta get it fixed.'"
The last part was a little harsh though. Clam up would be better IMO. We'll get there. RTR!!!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This is one of the things I was referring to in one of the other threads. Say that in the lockerroom....TO Leon, no less; not to a room full of strangers who will distribute it to the masses
In my 35 years in business I've never made a negative or remotely non-positive statement about a subordinate or a colleague in front of anyone else. If someone needs corrective instruction that's done one-on-one. IMHO it's counterproductive.

Having said that, CNS and pretty much every other coach when asked about a specific player will often indicate what problems, if any, need correcting. It's also not unusual for a coach to call out a player during practice or a game so maybe they think it's okay.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
ATL,

The context was provided within the length of the quote. AS's comments included some nuance and a nod to the bigger picture, but it is very rare for a college player to call out a teammate in that way.
As I stated in my earlier post, I'm not a fan of the media. I don't know what question or questions were asked for AS to "call out a teammate." The article makes it seem like AS just arbitrarily called out LB without provocation. We obviously see it differently and that's quite alright.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
As I stated in my earlier post, I'm not a fan of the media. I don't know what question or questions were asked for AS to "call out a teammate." The article makes it seem like AS just arbitrarily called out LB without provocation. We obviously see it differently and that's quite alright.
Fair enough. By the way, I don't universally trust the media, and I'm a member. This story, though unusual, seemed fair, too.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read this a little differently. I see this as a player trying to lead.

He talked about the specific things that could and should be done to improve. He was talking about a player who was put in a very bad spot (taking over for an injured center with almost no snaps with Blake), but made it clear that there could be no excuses going forward - just hard work and improvement.

He seemed to be trying to explain to the media why the backup wasn't as prepared as he might have been, why that would change, and what they were all doing to affect that change.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.