Bruce Jenner Update

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I disagree completely and actually agree with Bamaro, which may be a sign of the apocalypse or something.

And if the fat person wants to eat who am I to berate them or keep them from their meal? Depending on number of factors they very well may outlive you and me.

As for suicide, I think the way we treat people has an impact on their well being and rte of depression and suicide among certain groups. We are social creatures, after all. And when we make someone feel that we believe they are worthless they too often take it at face value.
Because you don't encourage people with mental disorders?

Someone who's just fat or is overweight because of bad genes? That's not what we're talking about here. There's a difference between that and someone with an eating disorder. You don't think everyone who is overweight has an eating disorder do you?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Because you don't encourage people with mental disorders?

Someone who's just fat or is overweight because of bad genes? That's not what we're talking about here. There's a difference between that and someone with an eating disorder. You don't think everyone who is overweight has an eating disorder do you?
Gender dysphoria used to be called “gender identity disorder.” But the mismatch between body and internal sense of gender is not a mental illness. Instead, what need to be addressed are the stress, anxiety, and depression that go along with it.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria

Now, if you want to correctly identify what it is, let's do that according to present science and diagnostic and descriptive criteria. Otherwise, you are just being hyperbolic.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Gender dysphoria used to be called “gender identity disorder.” But the mismatch between body and internal sense of gender is not a mental illness. Instead, what need to be addressed are the stress, anxiety, and depression that go along with it.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria

Now, if you want to correctly identify what it is, let's do that according to present science and diagnostic and descriptive criteria. Otherwise, you are just being hyperbolic.
First of all, LOL if you think webmd is a legit source. It's the Yahoo Answers of medical advice. You want to correctly identify something and you source webmd? Even the quote you provided argues with itself.

It says "the mismatch between body and internal sense of gender is not a mental illness."

But it also says "Instead, what need to be addressed are the stress, anxiety, and depression that go along with it."

According to "present science and diagnostic and descriptive criteria" depression is a mental disorder/illness. You can't have it both ways.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
First of all, LOL if you think webmd is a legit source. It's the Yahoo Answers of medical advice. You want to correctly identify something and you source webmd? Even the quote you provided argues with itself.

It says "the mismatch between body and internal sense of gender is not a mental illness."

But it also says "Instead, what need to be addressed are the stress, anxiety, and depression that go along with it."

According to "present science and diagnostic and descriptive criteria" depression is a mental disorder/illness. You can't have it both ways.
WebMD is actually a good legitimate source for lay people. Not as term laden and technical as emedicine or epocrates or uptodate or others, but it doesn't have the same purpose.

But let's go straight to the source.

http://www.dsm5.org/documents/gender dysphoria fact sheet.pdf

No better source exists for mental illness than the current DSM. WebMD's description matches quite well.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
WebMD is actually a good legitimate source for lay people. Not as term laden and technical as emedicine or epocrates or uptodate or others, but it doesn't have the same purpose.

But let's go straight to the source.

http://www.dsm5.org/documents/gender dysphoria fact sheet.pdf

No better source exists for mental illness than the current DSM. WebMD's description matches quite well.
Sounds like a healthy dose of political correctness to me:

DSM not only determines how mental disorders are defined and diagnosed, it also impacts how peoplesee themselves and how we see each other. While diagnostic terms facilitate clinical care and access toinsurance coverage that supports mental health, these terms can also have a stigmatizing effect.

DSM-5 aims to avoid stigma and ensure clinical care for individuals who see and feel themselves to be adifferent gender than their assigned gender. It replaces the diagnostic name “gender identity disorder”with “gender dysphoria,” as well as makes other important clarifications in the criteria. It is importantto note that gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder. The critical element of gender dys
-phoria is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition.
Sounds like "science" is trying to accept that gender identity is a natural result of one's biology. Can't all mental illnesses be explained as such? Doesn't our biology predispose us to certain moods, thinking, or behaviors. Why treat depression? Isn't it a natural result of one's biology? But of course if something is natural, it's not a disorder and thusly may not be covered by health insurance and may not guarantee access to care. "Science" proclaims that it's not a disorder, but it is a disorder in the sense that "science" wants to ensure access to hormone therapy, gender reassignment surgery, etc. If depression is a normal result from feeling like a woman but having a penis, why is the gender feeling not a disorder in and of itself? Is a fever not a result of some other disorder? Why treat the symptom and not the original disorder? This is all a bunch a hooey if you ask me -- politically correct speech so as not to make someone feel abnormal. Hogwash! Someone who wants to cut off a body part is mentally ill.

Definition of mental illness from the Mayo Clinic:

Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions — disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Of course Jenner is courageous. For a woman her age to wear that outfit shows a lot of courage.

If Jenner is more comfortable going through life identifying as a woman, I really don't care. It doesn't change my life or the life of anyone I know one iota. But I do not view Jenner as a hero. He/she is someone who has milked two days of glory in a sporting event few people care about (my apologies to track fans) for forty years of fame and not ever having to get a real job.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Every time bell rings an angel gets his wings.

And every time someone talks about Bruce, Kim's ... gets bigger.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sigh. Each time I check back on the board, I hope this thread has died. No such luck so far. I do find it interesting that it seems to have such a strong personal importance to so many...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.