St. Louis off duty cop kills teen, protests starting

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The man approached the officer in an aggressive way, an altercation ensued and the man fired at the officer, the police chief said. The officer returned fire and killed him.

Ballistic evidence recovered from the scene indicates that the man fired three rounds at the officer before his weapon jammed, Dotson said, adding that the gun was also recovered.

The officer fired 17 shots, Dotson said. He said he didn't know how many of those shots hit the suspect or why the officer fired that many shots. The officer was not injured.

"An investigation will decide if the officer's behavior was appropriate," he said at police headquarters.
I know a certain cop who.......needs more practice on the firing range!

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I guess there's a lot of people who need free stuff so they're going to protest. Exactly what in the blue blazes did they expect the cop to do when the dude shoots at him other than maybe hit him within three return shots.

Pssst, Mr. Policeman, center of mass, breath control, squeeze.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It's not unusual for the cops to unload. Fire once, unload the clip is the policy a lot of places. You don't shoot to wound. It's one reason that such incidents usually involved so many shots from the cops.
What? Cops don't believe in "gun control"?
Years ago, if you had to shoot, you always did either a "double-tap" or a shot group of 3 rounds. No need in wasting good ammo because you never know when you're going to need it. Also, what happened to accounting for every round you shoot? When did they get away from that? When did it become acceptable to spray bullets everywhere? What happened to not firing after the perp was down?
I guess a cop using a semi-auto pistol as a machine gun and completely unloading on a perp must be a new policy. "Use 'em or lose 'em"? Who knows?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
What? Cops don't believe in "gun control"?
Years ago, if you had to shoot, you always did either a "double-tap" or a shot group of 3 rounds. No need in wasting good ammo because you never know when you're going to need it. Also, what happened to accounting for every round you shoot? When did they get away from that? When did it become acceptable to spray bullets everywhere? What happened to not firing after the perp was down?
I guess a cop using a semi-auto pistol as a machine gun and completely unloading on a perp must be a new policy. "Use 'em or lose 'em"? Who knows?
It's probably easier and cheaper to only have one story of the incident than two. With all the cameras around now though, that may start changing some of the policies.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
It may be a time for a change of neighborhoods and leave the hair salon alone. :biggrin2:
Sorry, but I'm missing the joke.

Today is my daughter's 7th birthday. This happened very close to us, along a route we travel daily. I was coming home with my 9 and 3 year old and had to detour from the street that forms the corner on which I live because it was closed off for a block each direction. Had my I not stopped for some groceries on the way back from my daughter's soccer game, we could have easily been right in the middle of this.

This is my neighborhood, and we're here for the better and the worse, because it's a great place to live. This is definitely and clearly the "for worse" part. Much like I do when people spout assumptions about Alabama (or other places I've lived), I'd respectfully suggest that some of those assumptions may not be fully informed.

I'm not trying to spar, and I assume good will. Just pointing out that it's not just another news story from here.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

Today is my daughter's 7th birthday. This happened very close to us, along a route we travel daily. I was coming home with my 9 and 3 year old and had to detour from the street that forms the corner on which I live because it was closed off for a block each direction. Had my I not stopped for some groceries on the way back from my daughter's soccer game, we could have easily been right in the middle of this.

This is my neighborhood, and we're here for the better and the worse, because it's a great place to live. This is definitely and clearly the "for worse" part. Much like I do when people spout assumptions about Alabama (or other places I've lived), I'd respectfully suggest that some of those assumptions may not be fully informed.

I'm not trying to spar, and I assume good will. Just pointing out that it's not just another news story from here.
No problem, joking around and the reference was to Ferguson and the hair salon that kept getting broke into by rioters or I should say protesters. The article on this incident referred to protesters in the street so Ferguson came to mind and figured they would find a place to break into because of the injustice of the policeman.

It's never just another news story when it's that close to home. Good luck and stay safe if this gets out of hand. Since the victim was armed and shot first I doubt it turns into another Fergie.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
No problem, joking around and the reference was to Ferguson and the hair salon that kept getting broke into by rioters or I should say protesters. The article on this incident referred to protesters in the street so Ferguson came to mind and figured they would find a place to break into because of the injustice of the policeman.

It's never just another news story when it's that close to home. Good luck and stay safe if this gets out of hand. Since the victim was armed and shot first I doubt it turns into another Fergie.
My first impression is that the STLPD is way in front of this one and is putting out much better info than Ferguson. My hope is that they can show some transparency and win some faith.

After putting the kids to bed, I walked over last night and the scene was pretty clear.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On a humorous side, one female witness, self-identifying as a cousin of the deceased, said that the officer had mistaken a sandwich for a weapon. Some sandwich. The shame is that a lot of the protesters will take her word for it, unlikely as it may seem. Another witness said that the ran with an odd gate, as he struggled to get his "sandwich" out of his waist band...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
On a humorous side, one female witness, self-identifying as a cousin of the deceased, said that the officer had mistaken a sandwich for a weapon. Some sandwich. The shame is that a lot of the protesters will take her word for it, unlikely as it may seem. Another witness said that the ran with an odd gate, as he struggled to get his "sandwich" out of his waist band...

I know I always carry about my Subway club sandwich in my pants. You never know when you might get hungry out there on the streets.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I didn't see anything in the article. What part of STL did this happen in?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I heard on the news this a.m. that he was only able to get three shots at the cop because his sandwich jammed.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Was it a "sub"-machine gun?

I've got to admit, turning a sammich into a 9mm is quite a miracle. Jesus only turned water into another liquid.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.