Georgia Suspends Todd Gurley for NCAA Violations

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I look at this issue in the same light as any other in which a player is accused of doing something inappropriate. Whether the accusations are true is fodder for lots of conversation, and I'm sure their will be plenty of that. In the mean time, the school really has no choice but to suspend him pending completion of their investigation.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Scoretide,

Don't get upset. The Cam Newton scandal thread is proof that even the sources of the supposedly connected posters are less accurate than a snow forecast in Alabama. Some people have nothing more useful to do in life than antagonize others on message boards, so don't satiate their appetite by engaging them.

Btw... My sources say tomorrow is Saturday. ;)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Manziel realized that the NCAA didn't have any smoking gun-level evidence, lawyered up, and the NCAA folded. It was only afterwards that A&M offered up the token 1/2 game suspension. There were also rumors that Manziel also threatened to squeal on other players who participated in the memorabilia gravy train if the NCAA did anything.

In this case, it is Georgia doing the suspending. That suggests that they have a smoking gun, and want to get out in front of this to make sure the NCAA doesn't decide to go snooping around in Athens, lest they discover Richt's white slavery ring.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well this thread escalated.
Ironic some posters are acting like junior high girls in a thread about Todd Gurley.

Manziel realized that the NCAA didn't have any smoking gun-level evidence, lawyered up, and the NCAA folded. It was only afterwards that A&M offered up the token 1/2 game suspension. There were also rumors that Manziel also threatened to squeal on other players who participated in the memorabilia gravy train if the NCAA did anything.

In this case, it is Georgia doing the suspending. That suggests that they have a smoking gun, and want to get out in front of this to make sure the NCAA doesn't decide to go snooping around in Athens, lest they discover Richt's white slavery ring.
I believe there's video of the signing but not of money exchanging hands.

UGA fans aren't happy. They believe Gurley was set up and have even posted the alleged name/seller ID/location of autograph dealer on multiple GA message boards.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've got no issue with what JFF or Gurley did. If UGA can make money selling #3 jerseys, he should be able to sell a few autographs. It's not like the NCAA is in the right either. Otherwise, they wouldn't have decided to stop selling jerseys in their online store.
yeah, but right or not, its still in the rules by which they must abide

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Another big difference is that Texas A&M got to deal with it in the off-season, unlike UGA which has games coming up week after week. (Curiously, they don't have another game in Athens until AU.) In the off-season, if it takes a month to figure it out, no big deal.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Dayhiker,
Their are a lot of people at that school and many others in Cobb County school system in the know at UGA! I have not only been told from the one at McEachern but one at Walton & Harrison. It is not top secret !
I don't care what info you share from your friends. I'm just pointing out that if someone shared info I gave in confidence, on a public internet board, and enough info was posted so that people could figure out my identity, I wouldn't be happy. You qualified that it was a booster and in a high position at that HS. That probably narrows it down to a few people. Things like this is why people in the know are often very tight lipped. TIDE-HSV is a perfect example. He is VERY well connected. He is also very careful about what he says and how he qualifies where the info comes from. Again, I didn't tell you not to post what you posted.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This thread makes me realize:
1. Players will continue to break these stupid NCAA rules if they can benefit from it.
2. The NCAA is ever unpredictable about what they might/might not do.
3. SCAM Newton...how in the world did he play another down after that story broke will ever puzzle me. If you ever doubted he did something wrong, you didn't watch the interview when he smiled like the cat that ate the canary when questioned about it.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Dude, Not joking ! My contact is a Booster and in a high position at McEachern high school in powder springs, GA if you must know ! This is not hear say like you think it is. Let me say in my job, I know alot of athletic director's & booster of different schools and have a close relationship with most of them. I WILL SAY THIS ! THERE IS ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE WHO CLAIM TO KNOW ALOT ! that I have learned know nothing !
SIMMA DOWN PARTNER. :cool:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
This thread makes me realize:
1. Players will continue to break these stupid NCAA rules if they can benefit from it.
2. The NCAA is ever unpredictable about what they might/might not do.
3. SCAM Newton...how in the world did he play another down after that story broke will ever puzzle me. If you ever doubted he did something wrong, you didn't watch the interview when he smiled like the cat that ate the canary when questioned about it.
That's just a side effect of the super-special "Cammie-Cam Juice".

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Agreed but, here is my problem with the rules. Gurley may vary well be done at UGA for doing something that technically isn't illegal, it may be against NCAA rules but, no laws were broken. There are other players out there who have broken laws and only get a game or 2 suspension, some don't get anything (like Winston). The NCAA rules are screwed up when criminals receive less punishment then the players who don't break any laws.

The rules and the NCAA are outdated and have out lived there usefulness. It's time for schools to kick them to the curb. I'm just over all this crap, a kid should be aloud to make money off his likeness IMO and I don't see anything wrong with it. Students with academic scholarships are free to get jobs and make money while in school, athletes should be free to do the same. If signing autographs is the job they get, so be it. If they try and squeeze some hours in at a McDonald's then more power to them. It's time to change the rules! I doubt it will ever happen because the millionaires who control college football are scared that these players will cut into their profits.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Since when has that mattered. What would happen if Gurley was from a well to do family and lawyered up with a high dollar attorney? You think he'd get to skate like JFF? That's my problem with the rules.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stupid rules + incompetent NCAA = nightmare for students and schools. Every day we must walk through a minefield laid by the NCAA hoping that something doesn't blow up under our feet and destroy the hard work of so many.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the NCAA?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.