Georgia Suspends Todd Gurley for NCAA Violations

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It just makes me sick that Gurley is suspended during his ongoing investigation but, Winston continues to play even though he is now under investigation again. One got some cash, the other raped someone. Only one of those is actually a crime and it's not the one who is suspended. Makes me sick. That's how screwed up the NCAA is, criminals go unpunished while petty junk like getting cash ruins your season.
Georgia is handling it properly.
Fla St handled it wrong, very wrong.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This thing will eventually change. There's just too much money being made off these players by other parties for this to continue. We can talk about value of a "free" education and all that. But truth of the matter is a lot of these athletes aren't going to make even a fraction of the money in the workforce (if they don't go pro) with that degree than the kind of money these other people are making off their name while they are in college.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This thing will eventually change. There's just too much money being made off these players by other parties for this to continue. We can talk about value of a "free" education and all that. But truth of the matter is a lot of these athletes aren't going to make even a fraction of the money in the workforce (if they don't go pro) with that degree than the kind of money these other people are making off their name while they are in college.
I have always been against schools paying players, but I would have no problem with the player making money off themselves (selling autographs or other memorabilia)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
UGA announces today they are going to apply for his reinstatement with the NCAA. Link

Todd Gurley will be reinstated and return to playing for the Georgia football team, pending approval by the NCAA.

UGA announced Wednesday morning that it is applying to the NCAA for Gurley's reinstatement. In a statement released by the school, the star tailback took "full responsibility for the mistakes I made," then said he was looking forward to returning to the field.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The difference between Gurley and that other well known player is one seems to be a good kid, the other seems to be an unrepentant thug.

As far as the money made off of these kids, I disagree with the thought that these kids are being taken advantage of by only getting a scholarship. Most of these kids get Pell Grants aside from their Scholly and they all get a monthly stipend already. I believe they should get a the full cost of attendance, but no more. These kids get a shot at the NFL and get a free education. As a parent who just got thru paying for my 2 kids to graduate from UA, I feel that is more than fair. If you let a kid start signing things for money, you are opening up a pandora's box of problems. We all know that the West Georgia institute of Agriculture will pay kids an inordinate fee for them to sign "autograph's" in order to get them to the plains. And the fact is most schools (not Alabama) that have football programs lose money. Even the boogs showed a loss, but most of that was probably payoffs to the infamous "Bag man". Do we really want college athletes to be professional players which is what we are talking about? I know an an from the old school, but that is my belief.

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
I have always been against schools paying players, but I would have no problem with the player making money off themselves (selling autographs or other memorabilia)

I understand what you are saying but if plaayers could sell autographs, what would stop rich boosters from buying up a lot of autographs from certain players. And telling top recruits that if you come to my school I can guarantee you will be able to sell a lot of autographs for big money. Its a catch 21 situation. I for sure don't know what the answer is.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I understand what you are saying but if plaayers could sell autographs, what would stop rich boosters from buying up a lot of autographs from certain players. And telling top recruits that if you come to my school I can guarantee you will be able to sell a lot of autographs for big money. Its a catch 21 situation. I for sure don't know what the answer is.
Agreed. There would be nothing stopping the Bobby Lowders of the world for wanting a few thousand autographs just as soon as you sign with Aubren. It's a box that cannot be closed once you open it up.

This whole ordeal is just a microcosm of today's society anyway. Instead of following the rules that have always been the rules, people just want to change the rules to get what they want.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Agreed. There would be nothing stopping the Bobby Lowders of the world for wanting a few thousand autographs just as soon as you sign with Aubren. It's a box that cannot be closed once you open it up.

This whole ordeal is just a microcosm of today's society anyway. Instead of following the rules that have always been the rules, people just want to change the rules to get what they want.
The rules should be changed, TF, because the game has changed, given the obscene amounts of up-front money being thrown at everybody but the players.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The rules should be changed, TF, because the game has changed, given the obscene amounts of up-front money being thrown at everybody but the players.
I get that, but it is still a very slippery slope. The reality of it is that it would really only benefit a fairly small number of players, and it it became legal to do it, the overflooding of the market is going to drive money that can be made on autographs anyway. That's why Gurley is in trouble now. The dealers are paying them what they are now because it IS illegal, and there are not that many doing it.

I heard some say recently that the solution to the problems above would be that all money generated by autographs should be distributed equally amongst the team, but if you do that, you'll have to do it with all athletes. This will dilute the money down to very little if you have to split it up amongst all of the athletes at a school.

Ultimately, what you will end up is a legal way for boosters to pay the Mark's, Julio's, and Trent's tons of money for autographs while the William Ming's, Anthony Orr's, and Tana Patrick's will not benefit much, if any, more than they do now.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I get that, but it is still a very slippery slope. The reality of it is that it would really only benefit a fairly small number of players, and it it became legal to do it, the overflooding of the market is going to drive money that can be made on autographs anyway. That's why Gurley is in trouble now. The dealers are paying them what they are now because it IS illegal, and there are not that many doing it.

I heard some say recently that the solution to the problems above would be that all money generated by autographs should be distributed equally amongst the team, but if you do that, you'll have to do it with all athletes. This will dilute the money down to very little if you have to split it up amongst all of the athletes at a school.

Ultimately, what you will end up is a legal way for boosters to pay the Mark's, Julio's, and Trent's tons of money for autographs while the William Ming's, Anthony Orr's, and Tana Patrick's will not benefit much, if any, more than they do now.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Dick DeVenzio, a former Duke point guard and advocate for athletes who died way too young, had a novel idea. He said schools should set up annuities for all athletes, which they would receive after they left the school. The longer you stayed, the more you made. Once athletes are cut into licensing arrangements that use their names or likenesses, there will be plenty of money to spread around.

But he didn't believe all athletes should be paid the same, that the best deserved to make the most. That does become tricky. But pro locker rooms somehow exist despite wide disparities in pay. None of this is easy to digest all at once. But fair is fair.

And that's what bugs me. Gurley gets suspended for $500. Meanwhile, the NCAA, awash in billions for which it did almost nothing to earn, continues to blab on that it's all about the athletes, without firing a single neuron to imagine if there's a better way.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The NCAA announced this morning Gurley must sit two more games, which means he'll serve a 4 game suspension.
So he'll be back in time to play the barn.....I don't know how much it will matter, but I guess it won't hurt.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think that's fair... The thing is... Georgia handled that and NCAA noticed that, and that turned out to be a good gamble. If i were Georgia, I wouldn't appeal the decision. Accept it. Now, this affect winston's case... We haven't heard anything about that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.